From: HamRacer@groups.io <HamRacer@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Ryan Essenpreis via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 6:03 PM
To: HamRacer@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamRacer] New version (1.2.4.1) just released

Petr,

Yes I found the same. It looks like all the new Icom rigs operate using this CI-V bus. The table below defines the character map.

I realize this may not be of interest to you, but I'm encouraged by your "yet?". If you ever decide to try this and need someone who has an Icom TCVR to test I will be happy to help.

73, Tom KB9ENS

Tom KB9ENS

Petr,

Yes I found the same. It looks like all the new Icom rigs operate using this CI-V bus. The table below defines the character map.

I realize this may not be of interest to you, but I'm encouraged by your "yet?". If you ever decide to try this and need someone who has an Icom TCVR to test I will be happy to help.

73, Tom KB9ENS

Petr Malý

Hello Tom,

I briefly took a look into the user manual of IC-7300. If I understand the table of CAT commands (CI-V) you can indeed send characters to be transmitted in CW to the serial line (USB). And the TCVR will send the dots and dashes for you. HamRacer hower doesn't support this (yet?), even that it would be relatively easy to do. The only problem is that I don't have a TCVR I could test it with.

Yet, I think that Spider Keyer is a better choice. First, I can use it with whatever old boot anchor TCVR. Second, I have the full control of it. If I don't like this or that behavior I simply change a few lines in the sketch and burn it into the Arduino Nano.

73, Petr OK1FIG

The pins are all virtual and soft configurable on the 7300 and I'd deliberately picked the CW key for that COM port. Could make it key SSB easily.

I saw your spider keyer and may consider that.

I'll also research to find out whether the 7300's internal keyer can be controlled remotely. If it can, then it would be like having a spider keyer built into the radio.

73, Tom KB9ENS

Tom KB9ENS

Understood, thank you.

The pins are all virtual and soft configurable on the 7300 and I'd deliberately picked the CW key for that COM port. Could make it key SSB easily.

I saw your spider keyer and may consider that.

I'll also research to find out whether the 7300's internal keyer can be controlled remotely. If it can, then it would be like having a spider keyer built into the radio.

73, Tom KB9ENS

Petr Malý

Hello Tom,

HamRacer doesn't support CW keying via a COM port. It can only toggle PTT for SSB mode.

The message you see happens if you try to send CW to the serial device, but the response is not as expected.

If you can hear a tone after clicking Test PTT, then you have mismatched pins on the COM. The pin that is configured to toggle PTT in Options in HamRacer leads to a pin that is used for CW keying in IC-7300 (probably). Can't tell more, I am not familiar with IC-7300.

FYG, a preferable and very cheap way is to use Spider Keyer. It is now even better than WinKeyer.

73, Petr OK1FIG

I'd like to use the Virtual COM port to key my radio (IC-7300) without the need for another external device. Is this something I can do? I have connected the COM port and when I test PTT I get a 1 second tone, but when I try one of the macros it tells me "Mismatched communication with Keyer...."

I suspect this is expected behavior, but would like to confirm that.

Thank you for creating this program.
73, Tom - KB9ENS

Tom KB9ENS

Petr,

I'd like to use the Virtual COM port to key my radio (IC-7300) without the need for another external device. Is this something I can do? I have connected the COM port and when I test PTT I get a 1 second tone, but when I try one of the macros it tells me "Mismatched communication with Keyer...."

I suspect this is expected behavior, but would like to confirm that.

Thank you for creating this program.
73, Tom - KB9ENS

Petr Malý

The new enhancements concern mainly Spider Keyer and CW keying.
Any feedback is highly appreciated.
73, Petr OK1FIG