March 2022 EAS Meeting - Thursday, March 17 at 7:00 pm

Amy Baker

You won’t want to miss the March Eugene Astronomical Society meeting this Thursday night!

Our speaker this month is the International Dark Sky Society's Bill Kowalik, giving a very important talk about light pollution in Oregon, and what we can do about it.

Bill Kowalik is a founding board member of the Oregon Chapter of the International Dark-Sky Association (2019) and is currently the Board Chairperson. Our chapter educates about the problems of light pollution, facilitates the certification of dark sky places in Oregon and coordinates the measurement of light pollution at key sites across the state.

Bill is an earth scientist with 35 years of industry experience and degrees in geology and applied earth science from the University of Pittsburgh (BSc), Pennsylvania State University (MSc), and Stanford University (PhD). Originally from Pennsylvania, Bill lives in Bend, Oregon.

Oregon’s Remaining Dark Skies – Light Pollution – What’s happening & What can you do?

Presentation by

Bill Kowalik, Chairperson of the Oregon Chapter of the International Dark-Sky Association

March 17, 2022

Astronomers are familiar with skyglow, the light scattered downward toward us that is mostly generated by outdoor lighting. To scientifically document the level of the problem in our state, IDA Oregon has been measuring skyglow using recording Sky Quality Meters, now from 35 sites. The most recently added sites are in the Eugene area with the support of EAS.

In addition to the ground-based measurements, IDA Oregon is also using night time satellite images to document light pollution in Oregon. The images help to answer the question regionally – where is the uplight coming from? And how has it changed over time?

Recently acquired models of all-sky light pollution for Oregon, from Night Sky Metrics LLC, based on night time satellite images from 2012 to 2020, show the progressive loss of starry night skies in our state. Over that time period, light pollution has advanced at a rate of one-half to one mile per year away from our light-polluting urban centers.

As the extent of the problem in Oregon becomes known, there is an opportunity for administrative bodies to take action in support of responsible outdoor lighting. For example, after input from starry night sky supporters last month in central Oregon, the Planning Commission in Deschutes County voted unanimously (5-0) to recommend updating the County’s 1994 lighting ordinance and to recommend the County embark on an educational program on outdoor lighting.

Motivated groups around the state can work at city and county levels to improve lighting ordinances and to promote responsible outdoor lighting.

Join us Thursday night by clicking on the link below!

 - Amy

Topic: March 2022 EAS Meeting
Time: Mar 17, 2022 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86253853198?pwd=QjBTVElnUks5SFI3TlZzZGZWV0Yrdz09

Meeting ID: 862 5385 3198
Passcode: 486831
One tap mobile
+14086380968,,86253853198#,,,,*486831# US (San Jose)
+16699006833,,86253853198#,,,,*486831# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 862 5385 3198
Passcode: 486831
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kB4ILxNjT

Amy Baker

Don't forget! This is tonight!

 - Amy

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 06:08 PM, Amy Baker wrote:

[...]

Wayne Spletstoser

Amy,

I screwed up! Any chance there will be a video available?

Wayne

On Mar 17, 2022, at 11:47 AM, Amy Baker <chawks64@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, the recording will hopefully be on YouTube b Monday night.

 - Amy

Wayne Spletstoser

Amy,

Here it is April 21 and I do not know how to get the zoom presentation of EAS tonight. I
understand the meeting may be live, but I also understand it will be on Zoom.

Can you help me out with info?

Wayne Spletstoser

On Mar 14, 2022, at 6:08 PM, Amy Baker <chawks64@...> wrote:

[...]

The meeting is only in person this month, but I shared a link to the YouTube video of Jerry’s presentation on another thread here.

 - Amy