August EAS Virtual Meeting - Thursday, June 17th at 7:00 pm

Amy Baker

It's Eugene Astronomical Society meeting time!

Well, at least Thursday night it will be.

This month we have Sky & Telescope contributing editor Jerry Oltion giving a presentation on the travel telescope that he just finished building. He will also show the correct way to collimate a telescope.

In his own words:

The travel scope is a marvel of engineering. I stole the design from Roel Weijenberg, a Dutch telescope maker, and made some modifications of my own. It's a 9.5" f/4.1 scope, yet it fits into a box only 12.5" on a side and 6" high. It weighs 20 pounds fully packed, including four eyepieces. I'll talk about the design, setup, and use of the scope, and the many compromises that go with trying to make a big scope fit into a little package.

Every time you assemble a telescope in the field, you have to collimate it. Collimation is pretty simple, but it's kind of scary until you get the hang of it. I'll use the travel scope to show you how it works and how to do it easily.

The meeting starts at 7:00 this Thursday night, and it won't just be PowerPoint slides. You'll get to see Jerry working in real time.

I'll see you there, and don't be late!

 - Amy

Topic: August 2021 EAS Virtual Meeting
Time: Aug 19, 2021 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 879 9514 6708
Passcode: 406042
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,87995146708#,,,,*406042# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,87995146708#,,,,*406042# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 879 9514 6708
Passcode: 406042
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kc3cg9tp7I

Amy Baker

Edited

The AUGUST meeting of the EAS group is, not surprisingly, on AUGUST 19th, not June 17th.

That'll teach me to make a shortcut. Yeesh!

 - Amy

Wayne Spletstoser

June?

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87995146708?pwd=RDBEcE5nV2VoMWRtS08rNk5FOTA3Zz09

Meeting ID: 879 9514 6708
Passcode: 406042
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,87995146708#,,,,*406042# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,87995146708#,,,,*406042# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 879 9514 6708
Passcode: 406042
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kc3cg9tp7I

Amy Baker

 Nope, I corrected it to August 19th.

Thats what happens when you work full time, host five hours of Zoom meetings in one day for people on the other side of the state, and still need to post the link to the EAS Zoom meeting. Typos.

 - Amy

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 09:16 PM, Wayne Spletstoser wrote:

June?

Wayne Spletstoser

Amy,

You are greatly appreciated. I meant no criticism. Workload can be an issue for sure, wait till you see what years can do. Thanks for your bright and female input to our club. I am a watcher and learner but know effort when I see it. I have watched the Eugene meetings and see your energy and enthusiasm do its work there too.

My best,

Wayne Spletstoser

On Aug 17, 2021, at 9:39 PM, Amy Baker <chawks64@gmail.com> wrote:

Nope, I corrected it to August 19th.

Thats what happens when you work full time, host five hours of Zoom meetings in one day for people on the other side of the state, and still need to post the link to the EAS Zoom meeting. Typos.

- Amy

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 09:16 PM, Wayne Spletstoser wrote:

June?

Amy Baker

I didn't take it as criticism, so no worries. I actually enjoy hosting the Zoom meetings, but it was just a busy day at work so I wasn't as alert as usual.

Thank you for the compliments!

 - Amy