January EAS Meeting - Thursday at 7:00 pm

Amy Baker

Bernie's back!

It was nice to see so many faces last month (well, at least the upper half of faces) but, unfortunately, the world was its everchanging self, and we're back to hosting our meetings on Zoom for the time being.

Always a popular speaker, this time Bernie's talking about Venus. Make sure your click on the link and join us Thursday night!

The Planet Venus: Rethought, Revised, and Revisited
A presentation by Bernie Bopp

Many older introductory astronomy textbooks referred to the planet Venus as “the Earth’s twin” based on its similarity in size, mass, and overall rocky composition. In the first half of the 20th century, science fiction writers often portrayed Venus as a jungle planet (complete with dinosaurs…), covered by water vapor clouds – still an Earthlike twin, just more primitive. But observations in the 1960s, especially those of the Soviet Venera probes, revealed Venus as a hellish world, with surface temperatures approaching 900 F, a dense unbreathable CO 2 atmosphere, and a surface pressure
nearly 100 times that of Earth. Obvious questions arise: Why are conditions on these two worlds so radically different? Are landforms and geologic activity on Venus and Earth similar? Could Venus have even been “Earthlike” in the distant past?

After a hiatus of over thirty years, NASA recently announced two new Venus missions, scheduled for launch between 2028 and 2030, VERITAS (orbital radar mapper) and DAVINCI+ (descent probe through the atmosphere). This EAS talk will give an overview of our present understanding of Venus and
highlight the new spacecraft missions and the insights they will hopefully provide.

 - Amy

Topic: January 2022 EAS Meeting
Time: Jan 20, 2022 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 826 9647 2592
Passcode: 717032
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,82696472592#,,,,*717032# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,82696472592#,,,,*717032# US (Houston)
Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 826 9647 2592
Passcode: 717032
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbBllkZlLM

Amy Baker

The hidden bonus to being the EAS Zoom Mistress - I get an early sneak peek at the presentations each month, and you're going to love this one!

Don't forget to click the Zoom link below to join everyone at EAS for Bernie Bopp's Venus presentation, tonight!

 - Amy