July EAS Virtual Meeting - Thursday, July 15th at 7:00 pm

Bonnie H.

Thanks Amy!

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021, 12:17 PM Amy Baker <chawks64@...> wrote:
The video for the July Eugene Astronomical Society meeting and Bernie Bopp's discussion of neutrinos is now available on YouTube.

For privacy reasons, the video cannot be found by searching YouTube, but anyone with the link can view it. If you have friends that a neutrino fans, they can watch the video if you send them the link.

 - Amy

Amy Baker

I have no idea why, but for some reason there is 19 minutes of black screen that was added to the beginning of the video. Just bizarre.

I'll try to fix it later in the week, but it takes several hours to render the video once you've edited it, and more than two more to upload to YouTube, so for now just skip ahead 19 minutes and you'll be fine.

 - Amy

Amy Baker

The video for the July Eugene Astronomical Society meeting and Bernie Bopp's discussion of neutrinos is now available on YouTube.

For privacy reasons, the video cannot be found by searching YouTube, but anyone with the link can view it. If you have friends that a neutrino fans, they can watch the video if you send them the link.

 - Amy

Amy Baker

A quick reminder that the July EAS meeting is tonight at 7:00!

See details below.

 - Amy

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 05:47 PM, Amy Baker wrote:
Bernie is back!

One of the Eugene Astronomical Society's most popular speakers is back for our July EAS meeting. Bernie Bopp will be teaching us all about neutrinos. But I'll let him tell you about it.

Neutrino Astronomy or
Why Spend Time and Big Bucks Looking for (nearly) Massless Subatomic Particles that Hardly Ever Interact with Ordinary Matter??

Neutrino astronomy is BIG astronomy.  The telescopes are HUGE – cubic kilometers in volume – and require thousands of detectors.  Neutrino telescopes must be located in places where they never see photons from the night sky – all of them are buried kilometers below the surface of the Earth in deep mines or even embedded deep in the Antarctic ice.  Of course this means they are frightfully expensive to build and operate.  And all of this is done to detect dozens of neutrinos, ghostlike subatomic particles that are electrically neutral, with uncertain mass probably no more than a millionth the mass of the electron.  In this talk I’ll try to explain why neutrinos are so interesting and important to our understanding of nuclear reactions in stars, supernovae, and even dark matter and galaxy formation.  As a special bonus, neutrinos will be readily available throughout this entire talk, with no charge, either monetary or electrical!

Because we have so many Willamette Valley area monthly meetings this week, I feel like I should clarify the meeting schedule. All meetings start at 7:00 pm PDT.
Tuesday, July 13 - Heart of the Valley Astronomy (Corvallis)
Wednesday, July 14 - Nightsky45 Astronomy Club (Salem)
Thursday, July 15 - Eugene Astronomical Society (Eugene)

Please message me directly if you have any questions.

 - Amy

Eugene Astronomical Society is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: July 2021 EAS Virtual Meeting
Time: Jul 15, 2021 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81095596397?pwd=V21Pd0dJOVdsTXZFZHd4b1ZrUG0zUT09

Meeting ID: 810 9559 6397
Passcode: 788367
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,81095596397#,,,,*788367# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,81095596397#,,,,*788367# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)