Hp8566B DLP installation from windows PC

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

I have uploaded a set of five  *.bat files to install the default set of DLPs in HP8566B/8567b/8568B
spectrum analysers from a windows PC.
https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/files/8000%20to%209999/8566%20B,67%20A,68%20B%20Spectrum%20Analyzers.%20DLPs%28Down%20Loadable%20Programs%29%20and%20Tools

To use them you must have the John Miles's, KE5FX GPIB toolkit installed and either a NI or
Prologix GPIB adapter. The toolkit is available at

http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm

To run the files to install the DLPs, simply copy the files into the folder containing the toolkit
(Default location:  C:\Program Files (x86)\KE5FX\GPIB ). To upload the GPIB programs
simply doubleclick on each of the *.bat files in turn. These call John's utility  "talk.exe" to
do the magic and upload the HPIB/GPIB code.

The files in the folder are

README.txt
harm_8566B_8568B.bat
intro_8566B_8568B.bat
main_menu_8566B_8568B.bat
peaks_8566B_8568B.bat
water_8566B_8568B.bat

There is also another bat file already in the toolkit  IMD_8566B_8568B.bat, which can also be used .

Note:
These files worked on my 8566B (serial # 2332A) with the exception of the
waterfall display. It comes back with an error message:
"INVALID STORE DEST: W_LOOP  SRQ 140". W_LOOP seems to be defined in the code
but I do not have experience of HPIB/GPIB programming to debug. Any helpful suggestions
gratefully received!
73s
Brian Flynn GM8BJF
11 Sept 2020

rmb_guru

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 02:25 AM, brian.flynn wrote:
Note:
These files worked on my 8566B (serial # 2332A) with the exception of the
waterfall display. It comes back with an error message:
"INVALID STORE DEST: W_LOOP  SRQ 140". W_LOOP seems to be defined in the code
but I do not have experience of HPIB/GPIB programming to debug. Any helpful suggestions
gratefully received!
Brian,

Thank you for creating and uploading the Windows *.bat files so people can download these DLPs from their PC's.

The error you are getting seems to indicate that the W_LOOP variable was NOT defined when the DLP is executed.
The SRQ 140 error indicates that W_LOOP is undefined (as a recognizable command/variable).

I assume you tried downloading the DLP again to ensure that it wasn't just a one of.

Since the W_LOOP variable definition is the very first line in the water_8566B_8568B.bat's outputting to the GPIB, I'm wondering if somehow it is/was NOT getting successfully sent.
I would try adding a new line before the "VARDEF W_LOOP,0;" line, something like "VARDEF W_TEMP,0;".  Since that new line would now be the first line sent, I would hope that the W_LOOP definition line would be now seen.

This is just a guess about the first line being lost/garbled.  Let me know what you see.  You can send a private e-mail to me if you want.

-- rmb_guru (I'm the one who wrote these DLP's while working as a Software Engineer on the HP8566 Production line at HP and uploaded the source to this group's file region)

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

Hi rmb_guru

Your were right about the problem being the loss of the first line of the code. I put in the "dummy" line you suggested an all now works. I presume it is some issue with the timing between the PC and the SA. I will upload an amended *.zip file. Many thanks for the helpfull suggestion.

Brian GM8BJF

John Miles

I finally got around to trying the DLPs out and they all seem to be working fine, so I'll add them to the next GPIB Toolkit build.  Thanks to both of you for digging this stuff up! 

I noticed that peaks_8566B_8568B.bat was a (near) duplicate of intro_8566B_8568B.bat, but was able to bring the correct version of that program across from rmb_guru's uploaded files.  Additionally, I was almost able to get 05_STIMULUS_DLP working, but it's having trouble talking to the signal generator.  Do either of you know/remember what the 'K' and 'KC' fields signify in the OUTPUT statements below?

OUTPUT S_ADDR,K,'CW';OUTPUT S_ADDR,K,S_BKTF;OUTPUT S_ADDR,K,'HZ';

OUTPUT S_ADDR,K,'PL';OUTPUT S_ADDR,K,S_POWR;OUTPUT S_ADDR,KC,'DB';

I changed the CW and PL commands to FR and AP for wider compatibility with various signal generators (8663A in this case) but that didn't help.  I can't tell exactly what string is being sent to the 8663A, but it's being rejected with a frequency range error (code 32).  There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the OUTPUT command as it relates to DLPs.

-- john, KE5FX

From: HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment@groups.io [mailto:HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment@groups.io] On Behalf Of brian.flynn via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 4:50 AM
To: HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment] Hp8566B DLP installation from windows PC

Hi rmb_guru

Your were right about the problem being the loss of the first line of the code. I put in the "dummy" line you suggested an all now works. I presume it is some issue with the timing between the PC and the SA. I will upload an amended *.zip file. Many thanks for the helpfull suggestion.

Brian GM8BJF

_._,_._,_

rmb_guru

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 02:23 AM, John Miles wrote:
Do either of you know/remember what the 'K' and 'KC' fields signify in the OUTPUT statements below?
Interesting, I haven't found any DLP documentation (electronic copies) on the OUTPUT command either.  I will need to look at my physical manuals, which are in storage at the moment, so I don't know when I will have a chance to get to them.

From what I can remember (from 30+ years ago), I believe the K field specifier is similar to HPBASIC, in that it is specifying sending the output as a compact field with no leading or trailing blanks and is also suppressing the LF/CR characters at the end of the output transaction.  The KC field specifier is like K except that it DOES send a LF/CR at the end of the output.  That is why the last OUTPUT statement contains the KC, while the others are using K.

If you are getting some kind of frequency error with the 8663 it could be from some of the data (digits) not being sent/received or some other characters are being inserted.  Try sending a fixed string to the 8663, something like " OUTPUT S_ADDR,KC,'FR100MZ'  " or other variations of frequency to see if the 8663 accepts the entry and goes to the specified frequency.  It would really be nice if you had a HPIB/GPIB Bus Analyzer or even a HPIB/GPIB printer that you could set to always listen to monitor the actual data being sent, we are flying blind without them.  I have both, but unfortunately it doesn't help you/us due to geography.

Let us know what you find.

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

John,
I am afraid I can't throw any light on that. I did try the stimulus DLP but I do nat have a suitable sig gen.so did not get that far.

73s
Brian GM8BJF