From: Joe Nichols Jr <alpinerr@...>
Date: 4/14/20 5:44 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] Wiring from power plants

Maybe not the best forum to ask but I am using my hugely increased time at home to convert my power from steam to hydroelectric where feasible.  I am building the hydroelectric plants but I am having trouble researching how to get the electricity from the water wheels and turbines in the power house to the mills.  Would there be wires strung on telegraph poles?  I have never seen these in pictures but I can't think of another method.  I think that Colorado came in on the AC/DC fight on the AC side so I am guessing that I need small wires, smaller than telegraph wires?  Any help and/or pics would be great.

Joe Nichols, Jr., MMR
Receiver, Alpine Central Railroad
Atlanta, GA

Mike Conder

Yes,  all power went via overhead power lines. Thru are in many of the photos but they tend to get lost in the vastness PD the Colorado countryside.

Mike Conder

Maybe this may help

Climax@...

Look at the power poles at www.SierraScaleModels.com

From: Joe Nichols Jr <alpinerr@...>
Date: 4/14/20 5:44 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io

Maybe not the best forum to ask but I am using my hugely increased time at home to convert my power from steam to hydroelectric where feasible.  I am building the hydroelectric plants but I am having trouble researching how to get the electricity from the water wheels and turbines in the power house to the mills.  Would there be wires strung on telegraph poles?  I have never seen these in pictures but I can't think of another method.  I think that Colorado came in on the AC/DC fight on the AC side so I am guessing that I need small wires, smaller than telegraph wires?  Any help and/or pics would be great.

Joe Nichols, Jr., MMR
Receiver, Alpine Central Railroad
Atlanta, GA

Joe - Here's 3 images of the Lee Vining, CA, power sub-station on route 395 from Google Earth street view (downloaded today).  Lots of wood power poles in view.  They are common out there for main powerlines to users and even in some cases right out of the power station.  Wood power pole construction hasn't changed much since the 19th century except when they went over to 3 phase and transformers for stepping up the voltage.
The little masonry building in the views used to be the hydroelectric power station before a bigger one was built up canyon below Tioga Pass. Now it's just a utility building.
I have lots more of both my own photos and misc downloads from internet sources. Way too many to upload here.  Give me a better idea of what you are looking for.  Like what era?
Ed Weldon

Art D3

Joe, I sent you an email. I can help with questions, pictures, and era specific details. I've been working in the electric utility business for over 35 years.

Art Dutra
Meriden,  CT

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Jeff Young

Pictures of Breckenridge Electric Power and Light, ca. 1900:

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Breckenridge-tp7004p7953.html

Pictures of early rural electrification in Colorado, and mining power delivery in 10-mile-canon:

(Previous link also includes documentation from newspapers, railroad records, etc.)

Picture of Gem Steam Electric Plant, ca. 1900 (note the long descriptive text under the photo):

More photos of the Curtin electric and steam plant:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Don Bergman

Here is a collection of photographs on the Ames Power Plant.  The last one from the Library of Congress is a map of distribution lines of the Telluride Power Company.    I believe one of the first successful long range distribution of AC power in the country.

Don Bergman

RGS Photo Index 14 0
Internet URLs
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P009/P009AmesInterior18911893Page.htm
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P001/P00180517Page.htm
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P001/P00180534Page.htm
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P001/P00180536Page.htm
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P001/P00150435Page.htm
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P001/P00180520Page.htm
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P001/P00180521Page.htm
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P001/P00180522Page.htm
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4314tm.g010831904/?sp=11&r=-0.022,0.575,1.087,0.593,0
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/hh/
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021928p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021935p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021930p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021929p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021931p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021932p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021933p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021934p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021936p/?co=hh
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.co0030.photos.021937p/?co=hh
https://ngtrainpics.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/RD132-RGS-High-Line-to-Ames-Butterfly/G0000MjosBXH0Y2s/I0000VuLamBqspNM/C0000Vd2qoA2MbNU
https://ngtrainpics.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/RD132-RGS-High-Line-to-Ames-Butterfly/G0000MjosBXH0Y2s/I00008Y8jA3tRhsw/C0000Vd2qoA2MbNU
https://ngtrainpics.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/RD134-RGS-Ophir-Ophir-Loop-2/G0000up2_nWnzvuE/I0000afXLsUnu5qg/C0000Vd2qoA2MbNU
https://ngtrainpics.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/RD134-RGS-Ophir-Ophir-Loop-2/G0000up2_nWnzvuE/I0000h7cEwhHiqto/C0000Vd2qoA2MbNU

Don - Those images of the Ames power plant answer a lot of questions. Thank you. EdW