Wheel Manufacturer?

Dusty

I purchased 3 pr. of Grandt trucks off of Ebay. One pair had 3 axels of apparently non Grandt wheel sets. They appear to have brass wheels and brass flat ended axels with a plastic insulating bushing on one wheel. The width of the wheels are .070 compared to the Grandt wheels at .080. Are these possibly NWSL wheels or were there other wheel set manufacturers? They look old.  They don't resemble the PSC wheels I'm familiar with but that doesn't mean very much. Any thoughts?

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Bill M

Hey Dusty

You should be able to get genuine Grandt wheelsets this summer .

Bill

On Thu., 1 Jul. 2021 at 5:12 p.m., Dusty via groups.io
<Dustburm@...> wrote:
I purchased 3 pr. of Grandt trucks off of Ebay. One pair had 3 axels of apparently non Grandt wheel sets. They appear to have brass wheels and brass flat ended axels with a plastic insulating bushing on one wheel. The width of the wheels are .070 compared to the Grandt wheels at .080. Are these possibly NWSL wheels or were there other wheel set manufacturers? They look old.  They don't resemble the PSC wheels I'm familiar with but that doesn't mean very much. Any thoughts?

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

kevin b

don't take my word for it, but those look like MDC wheelsets to me.
Kevin.

Ebay. One pair had 3 axels of apparently non Grandt wheel sets. They appear to have brass wheels and brass flat ended axels with a plastic insulating bushing on one wheel. The width of the wheels are .070 compared to the Grandt wheels at .080. Are these possibly NWSL wheels or were there other wheel set manufacturers? They look old.  They don't resemble the PSC wheels I'm familiar with but that doesn't mean very much. Any thoughts?

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

lloyd lehrer

MDC always used pointed axles. SG and NG.
lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

John Stutz

Dusty

Looks like you have a couple versions of NWSL's "#7343-4  HOn3 27"/72 Shldr Axle Wheelset -Grandt Line" (#8200-6 weathered), as listed in the 8/2006 price list.  NWSL wheelsets' brass axle stock's diameter varied over the years, but I have no details on how or when.  Axle stock diameter did not affect the fit into truck frames.

This is the only HOn3 code 72 wheelset listed, all others being code 88 (or 110?).  I suspect that NWSL were using a standard N-scale NMRA RP-25 code 72 profile tool to cut the wheels, rather than attempting to actually match Grandt's standard profile.

John Stutz

On July 1, 2021 2:12 PM Dusty via groups.io <dustburm@...> wrote:

I purchased 3 pr. of Grandt trucks off of Ebay. One pair had 3 axels of apparently non Grandt wheel sets. They appear to have brass wheels and brass flat ended axels with a plastic insulating bushing on one wheel. The width of the wheels are .070 compared to the Grandt wheels at .080. Are these possibly NWSL wheels or were there other wheel set manufacturers? They look old.  They don't resemble the PSC wheels I'm familiar with but that doesn't mean very much. Any thoughts?

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

_._,_._,_

Dusty

While desperately seeking MDC Trucks to examine I discovered a set of NWSL Wheels, part # 7314-4. The axels and bushings looked spot on. While the wheels were wider and plated the profile looked very similar. The mystery wheel sets were in a pair of Grandt C & S Bettendorf that looked fairly old. I wonder if the wheel sets were some of the first NWSL replacements hence no plating or blackening. Maybe they were blackened and they are now very distressed.

Looks like NWSL wheelsets to me. Thank all you for your contributions to the resolution of this little mystery!!!

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

p. f. hollingsworth

NWSL, almost certainly. If they fit the trucks well enough to roll, leave 'em be. I never tried to do that, so can't say.
The MDC items did, indeed, have pointy axles of a unique length, and were mostly just junk. They were about as wide as an Indy race car tire and look horrible. I have a couple of the MDC passenger trucks fitted with some wheels that are acceptable, but I cannot recall what make- Rio Grande Models from in the mid seventies maybe?