From: Scott Baker
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2021 5:50 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] Whats on the bench/Durango sand house question

I attached a few photos of my Durango sand house scratchbuild effort so far. I'm asking for help concerning what the door looked like between the sand bin and the drying house. I have been unable to find any photos that show that view. It seems like I saw a discussion somewhere with photos of the inside of the drying house with the equipment etc., and the process used, (it may have been Chama), but I can't seem to find the source again. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Scott Baker

Scott Baker

Thanks for the photos!

John Stutz

Dick

Thanks for the sand house photographs.

Looking out the door of the 1981 photo, I see the #3 & #4 drivers of what is presumably a K-36 or K-37, with the boiler stripped down to the bare shell.  On the barrel's belly there is an extremely odd pair of diagonal rivet lines, not at all like the usual form of longitudinal boiler shell seam.  Does anyone actually know what these represent?

John Stutz

On February 25, 2021 6:13 PM RICHARD DONNA BELL <bell_1_05@...> wrote:

These are from the old sand house in Durango. The first photo is from 1981, and the other two were taken some years after that. There was no interior door, just a small partition between the stove and the lift. Hope this helps. Dick

Earl Knoob

You are looking at the remains of 498.  The rivet line appears to be a large diamond-shaped patch applied to the inside of the boiler barrel around the bottom of the rear course.