What's on the Workbench?

Spike

So Gang if I could tear you away from the China Question (didn’t Nixon go there…?)….

A couple of my projects I am planning to work on this next couple of weeks are attached.

The coaling tower is about 95% ish.  No coal dust yet and some last minute details lack color and/or weather.  And the final long ladders will wait for final placement of scene details.

Cut a hole in the table top for the coal chutes.  Cardboard on ether side is cut out to fit a sand house and tower… not sure how I am going to do that yet… using the gazette articles for the towers, building and enclosure will be fit where they can.

Spike

Spike

Next on the list is the National Belle at Red Mountain.  For several years I have had a cardboard mock-up sitting in the customary position at Red Mountain town, so I got out my old Campbell kit to see how close it was… not to my liking… For sale 75$.

Based on my old cardboard model I drew up a new plan, which is a closest to the 2nd era, phase 3 of the National Bell.

Spike

Mike Conder

Good to see you're still building and making progress!

My progress is currently on the computer: printing some 3D Spanish tile roofs for a friend, designing a depot from prototype photos for dinner laser cutting, and designing the layout.

Have dinner benchwork from long ago that I'm adapting but trying to figure out how to have a staging yard on a 3" wide shelf.  Thinking that the only way to go is to use Craig Symington's idea for his Telluride Branch, pretty this highly recommended video:

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 11:28 AM Spike <redmountainspike@...> wrote:

Next on the list is the National Belle at Red Mountain.  For several years I have had a cardboard mock-up sitting in the customary position at Red Mountain town, so I got out my old Campbell kit to see how close it was… not to my liking… For sale 75$.

Based on my old cardboard model I drew up a new plan, which is a closest to the 2nd era, phase 3 of the National Bell.

Spike

claneon30

What the hell is dinner laser cutting and benchwork? Is your smart phone being not so smart?

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual
chrislaneon30@...

On Dec 21, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

[...]

<8B4CDAE8FD384B6A9A8B3DCD0808BBEE.jpg>

<6A757A9397D2459A92D5BA0DFD132DA0.jpg>

<D67C8C0BCDA24ECA85399199DA95F563.jpg>

Spike

Autocorrect changed "some" to "dinner" ... gotta love it.

Mayour

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 12:31 PM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that’s close….

On Dec 21, 2021, at 12:36 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

[...]

I've had a bunch of projects over the past year,  I scratch built the EBT's backwoods two stall engine house as it once stood in Robertsdale.  Also finished up a free lanced surface mine and truck dump similar to several at the south end of the EBT.  My latest projects include a sawmill for the McKelvey Brothers operation from the 1920's --  the only other narrow gauge line ever to connect with the EBT.  And I filled in an empty place on the layout with a mill that used to stand across from the EBT yards in Mount Union.

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 2:23 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
[...]

Nigel Phillips

Hi Russ,

Read something recently about getting staging in narrow spaces (MRH I think). That width is effectively doubled if you use hinges (extension down or up). To my mind the other way is to have the second one underneath the first, and use a cantilever shelf mechanism (motorized if possible) that already has stock in position. Of course you could always go vertical with a linear motor mechanism.

Nigel

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 3:50 PM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Nigel.  I think you meant to send your post to Mike Condor (nickname Mayour) whose post immediately followed mine.  Merry Christmas.

Russ Norris

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021, 4:58 PM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
[...]

Dusty

This is the mock up of Grandt Mill #1. Forgive the 3M High-Tech 'Magic' roof clamp and the foundation for the upper right side addendum. Still a couple of positional adjustments before foundation wall and log cribbing can be cut. Lower addition needs to go down about 1/4", maybe? How the tram feed fits on the back side is TBD.

Dusty Burman

Mike Conder

Nice, like the mock-up concept.  And I agree that there should be a little more vertical separation between the main and front buildings.

bassb04011

Impressive mill progress! Loving it.
Brian Bass

Jim Marlett

Dusty, I’m working on a bash of the same kit. I'm interested to see how you resolve the tram feed as I am still waffling on that issue as well. I’ll be putting a corrugated metal roof on mine next. Here is a picture of my latest test fit.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Dec 21, 2021, at 6:23 PM, Dusty via groups.io <Dustburm@...> wrote:

This is the mock up of Grandt Mill #1. Forgive the 3M High-Tech 'Magic' roof clamp and the foundation for the upper right side addendum. Still a couple of positional adjustments before foundation wall and log cribbing can be cut. Lower addition needs to go down about 1/4", maybe? How the tram feed fits on the back side is TBD.

Dusty Burman

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#10085) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [jmarlett@...]

_._,_._,_

Scott Baker

After finishing the Durango sand house, I'm slowing working on the coaling tower using a partial Campbell kit/Blazek plans/photos.

Climax@...

Heres how I attacked mine.

[...]

One thing I did on my stamp mill and mine was I never cut holes in the cardstock base for windows or doors.  For windows and doors I used Grandt Line castings and only glued a piece of SSM Glass on the back and painted the back side black.  I glued that directly to the cardstock and then used Coffee Sturing Sticks which were pre stained right up tothe castings and they fit perfectly under the window and door trim.  Now that I am putting LED lights (402's) on the layout it may be a challenge.  I figure goose neck lamps over doors and specific outside walk areas and open platforms will be fine.  I also put a stamp mill sound module inside the stamp mill with speaker.  It is fully removable from the layout as one piece for easy wiring and access to below it.

[...]

Paul Buhrke

Working off the workbench, can't do this on the bench. Confluence of the Gunnison and Cimarron rivers at Crystal Creek.
--
Paul Buhrke
D&RGW Salida Division

Mark Lewis

Paul,

Fabulous scenery work in the canyon!!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 9:37 AM Paul Buhrke <Risrwy@...> wrote:
Working off the workbench, can't do this on the bench. Confluence of the Gunnison and Cimarron rivers at Crystal Creek.
--
Paul Buhrke
D&RGW Salida Division
Lost in the Black Canyon in 1929

Dusty

Increased height difference by 1/2". Is the offset between the main structure and the lower addition too much to get 'stuff' from one section to the other. I do have my modelers license in hand.

Dusty Burman

Mike Conder

Looks good to me!

Mike Conder