Topics

What is it?

Clifford Mestel

In the past few days I built a box car from a kit.  I don't remember where or when I got it.  It came in a yellow box with no printing on it and the instructions had no company name on it.  The instructions were were very sparse so I believed the kit came from the 50's.  The basic body  of the car was wood.  One interesting thing in the instructions was it said to glue "and nail" the roof and floor to the end blocks.  The car is an outside braced car.  The outside bracing was cast and painted and the wood sides (silk screened) fit behind the casting.  The underframe, ends and roof walk were all cast as were the doors, and the doors were painted. It was interesting to put together.

Does anyone know who made the kit and a possible time frame?

Cliff Mestel_,_

Mark Lewis

Cliff,
Sounds very interesting.
How about a photo of your project?

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Thu, May 14, 2020, 6:13 PM Clifford Mestel via groups.io <troutckeng=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In the past few days I built a box car from a kit.  I don't remember where or when I got it.  It came in a yellow box with no printing on it and the instructions had no company name on it.  The instructions were were very sparse so I believed the kit came from the 50's.  The basic body  of the car was wood.  One interesting thing in the instructions was it said to glue "and nail" the roof and floor to the end blocks.  The car is an outside braced car.  The outside bracing was cast and painted and the wood sides (silk screened) fit behind the casting.  The underframe, ends and roof walk were all cast as were the doors, and the doors were painted. It was interesting to put together.

Does anyone know who made the kit and a possible time frame?

Cliff Mestel_,_

Don Peterson

Cliff,
Could it be Suydam? I know they used to come in yellow boxes when they used to make trolley stuff way back when.

Don Peterson

On Thursday, May 14, 2020, 04:32:28 PM MDT, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Martin

Cliff,

I am no sure about the box but it sounds like an early Uhrich kit.
I have a couple of old kits and it sounds like the same cast outsside brace and the instructions call for “cement and nail” the body together.
My boxes are a dark yellow but are marked Ulrich as are the directions.

Ken Martin

On May 14, 2020, at 3:13 PM, Clifford Mestel via groups.io <troutckeng@...> wrote:

In the past few days I built a box car from a kit.  I don't remember where or when I got it.  It came in a yellow box with no printing on it and the instructions had no company name on it.  The instructions were were very sparse so I believed the kit came from the 50's.  The basic body  of the car was wood.  One interesting thing in the instructions was it said to glue "and nail" the roof and floor to the end blocks.  The car is an outside braced car.  The outside bracing was cast and painted and the wood sides (silk screened) fit behind the casting.  The underframe, ends and roof walk were all cast as were the doors, and the doors were painted. It was interesting to put together.

Does anyone know who made the kit and a possible time frame?

Cliff Mestel_,_
_._,_._,_

Andrew Thompson

Cliff

  I agree with Ken.  It sounds like an early Ulrich kit.  HO Seeker has instructions for the car at https://hoseeker.net/Ulrich/ulrichoutsidebracedboxcar1pg1.jpg, and have [Charles] C. J. Ulrich as the manufacturer.  Does this look like your instructions?  If so, it is probably late 40s to mid 50s (Ulrich started in 1947).  A later release eliminated the nails.

Andy Thompson

[...]

Hi Andy;

Yes, that does look like the instructions, but the Ulrich name is not on it.

Cliff

In a message dated 5/14/2020 5:21:33 PM Mountain Standard Time, razrbak81@... writes:

[...]

Thanks to all who helped identify the kit.

Cliff Mestel

In a message dated 5/15/2020 9:34:41 AM Mountain Standard Time, troutckeng@... writes:

[...]

Joe Nichols Jr

Isn't anyone going to ask why a superb craftsman like Cliff builds kits?  Must of been fascinating, an itch that he could not ignore, favor to a friend, or wanting to relive history.

Clifford Mestel

No, in earlier years, when I did not have time to build kits, I bought a whole lot.  Now I have the time and decided to build the kits rather than get rid of them.  I am not sure what I will do with all of them as My layout is not yet running.  Hopefully it will be soon.

Cliff Mestel

In a message dated 5/20/2020 10:06:00 AM Mountain Standard Time, alpinerr@... writes:

Isn't anyone going to ask why a superb craftsman like Cliff builds kits?  Must of been fascinating, an itch that he could not ignore, favor to a friend, or wanting to relive history.

Joe Nichols Jr

I have a drawers in my cabinet of your kits.  Just waiting for my retirement!

Mark Kasprowicz

A friend calls the sudden urge to build kits "kititis". I get it too!

Mark K
Oxon England.