Westside K 37

Mike Chamberlain

Hi All !  Is there a good replacement motor and gear tower for the Westside K 37 . I have one that runs very well but is a bit noisy  as I want to add sound it .....Thanks .....Mike

John Stutz

Mike

If you have a Westside K with a brass worm and brass idler, there is a rapid wear problem here, due to sliding contact of like metals.  NWSL offered a Delren idler gear to correct the problem but this needed to be installed before the worm wore too far.   If this is the source of your noise, you may may also need to replace the worm.  Either way, these fixes are easier than a complete new gear tower.   Consult the NWSL catalogue.

John Stutz

On May 21, 2021 5:16 PM Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...> wrote:

Hi All !  Is there a good replacement motor and gear tower for the Westside K 37 . I have one that runs very well but is a bit noisy  as I want to add sound it .....Thanks .....Mike

Wayne

A #305 Delrin idler gear and a 1312-6 worm should do the trick, as far as quieting the gear noise goes.

--
Wayne Taylor

Mike Chamberlain

 Is that a NWSL part # ?     Mike

Mike Chamberlain

It has very little run time on it I think as the wheels have no where on them . I'll contact NWSL monday . So the stock motor should be good ?      Mike

Earl Knoob

Does it have an open frame motor?  The original runs from 1975 or so did.  I got mine very slightly pre-owned.  He changed to open frame motor out and installed a big Cannon instrument motor.  It still has the stock gears and runs like a dream.

It has very little run time on it I think as the wheels have no where on them . I'll contact NWSL monday . So the stock motor should be good ?      Mike

Mike Chamberlain

Earl ,yes still an open frame motor . Do you know the motor part #  I think it would also work in my K 37 ......Mike

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 1:38 PM Earl Knoob <earlk489@...> wrote:
Does it have an open frame motor?  The original runs from 1975 or so did.  I got mine very slightly pre-owned.  He changed to open frame motor out and installed a big Cannon instrument motor.  It still has the stock gears and runs like a dream.

It has very little run time on it I think as the wheels have no where on them . I'll contact NWSL monday . So the stock motor should be good ?      Mike

Earl Knoob

Well, you'll have to wait a week.  I'm out of town right now.  I'll take a look when I get back.  I imagine the model number is probably quite out of date as it was remotored in about 1977.....