Westside K27

Mike Chamberlain

Recently bought a W S k27 compound Made in the early 70's .  Runs well but a bit noisy , does anyone have any suggestions for a new motor and gear tower ?  The main problem though is the boiler / cab height . Is there any way to lower it to a more prototypical height ? Right now it sits just about as high as my K 37 . I have lowered a W S C 25 so I do know some of what's involved but I don't see a good starting place hear .   Thanks ! Mike

Earl Knoob

Another issue with the boiler of the Westside K-27 compound is that the boiler is about a foot too big in diameter.

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 6:11 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] Westside K27

Recently bought a W S k27 compound Made in the early 70's .  Runs well but a bit noisy , does anyone have any suggestions for a new motor and gear tower ?  The main problem though is the boiler / cab height . Is there any way to lower it to a more prototypical height ? Right now it sits just about as high as my K 37 . I have lowered a W S C 25 so I do know some of what's involved but I don't see a good starting place hear .   Thanks ! Mike

Mike Chamberlain

Thank you Earl that confirms another of my suspicions ......Mike

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 1:52 PM Earl Knoob <earlk489@...> wrote:
Another issue with the boiler of the Westside K-27 compound is that the boiler is about a foot too big in diameter.

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 6:11 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] Westside K27

John Ladley

Hi Mike!

Some years back, I modified a WMC K-27 Compound drive train, and it really runs super well and quiet. I used the original gearbox, but, may have replaced the idler with a Westside nylon idler (not sure). Westside used to sell replacement gears for their Hon3 engines. I utilized a Sagami (no longer available) 30 x 16 mm can motor, NWSL universals and a brass torque arm connecting the motor (w/screws) to the gear box (w/solder). This resulted in the smoothest running HOn3 engine that I've ever had or seen. The fat boiler still bugs me, but, I've decided to just live with it. I'm attaching a picture of the drive, but, it doesn't give a really good view of the low torque arm. 

Hope this helps. Aside from the boiler, these are nice locomotives.    John