Western Rails HOn3 trucks UPDATE

Brian Kopp

David, from Western Rails sent along a couple of the newly designed TR05 D&RGW 3'7" arch bar trucks.
They are an improvement over the previous design and I will be ordering some soon!

The material (resin??) seems stronger and less brittle. I didn't loose any brake shoes while cleaning off sprue bits, reaming the journals, and installing the wheels.
Most importantly, the new design has good clearance from the Kadee 718 wheelset axles. I didn't even have to scrape off that axle ridge on  the Kadee wheelsets.

I was able to get away with about 10 turns of a 1mm tap in the journals. I checked first and without doing this the trucks did not roll as well as I wanted. You may recall Bill Miller shared his trick of reaming journals with a 1-72 tap. I went for a smaller tap so as not to enlarge the holes. After a dab of Neolube 2 in the journals using a white microbrush, the 718 wheelsets dropped right in.

The new trucks rolled out a little further than Kadee trucks do on my test ramp, although they didn't make it as far as Blackstones will (the gold standard I guess, and just as expensive if you can find them on  ebay -- did anyone see that set of 8 pairs climbing towards $150 with 3 days to go??).

Here are the photos of the new trucks before and after my novice paint job to get them ready for mounting (still some weathering to do). I like that the little axle clearance cut-outs don't really show under the axle.....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

I didn't lose any brake shoes either. =)

BTW, the old design is on the left in the first photo.

Both trucks in the second photo are the new design.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

NarrowMinded1

I seem to recall some body mentioning using a center drill to clean up the journals but can't remember what size. Any ideas?
--
Nathan M. Kline
Nate's HOn3 East Broad Top RR & Coal Co.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJMoICFWw9Muse6xm8moiQ
MeWe Group: https://mewe.com/group/5fbb79e7edc4177fe935a858
Nate's Light Iron Hobbies: http://nateslightironhobbies.com
Broad Top Mountain Models: http://broadtopmountainmodels.com

Brian Kopp

Hi Nate.
When using a tap I found the 1mm size tap got to the back of the journal where the point would go. Although not optimum, it allowed me to come in from an angle over the opposite side frame. I could see cutting it down to fit square to the journal but with brake frames it would be tricky for my big fingers to get in there and turn it.

A picture is worth 1000 words....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Bill Lugg

So, to answer Nathan's question specifically in regard to center drills, I received 4 sizes when I purchased my Taig lathe.  It looks like the smallest one would do the trick for this task...though I don't have truck frames to test it with at the moment.  The business end is about the right size and the shank is probably no bigger than the tap Brian shows in the photo.  Later this afternoon I can measure the diameter if you need more information.

Those are some pretty nice looking trucks, by the way.

HTH
Bill Lugg

On 4/28/21 8:13 AM, Brian Kopp wrote:
Hi Nate.
When using a tap I found the 1mm size tap got to the back of the journal where the point would go. Although not optimum, it allowed me to come in from an angle over the opposite side frame. I could see cutting it down to fit square to the journal but with brake frames it would be tricky for my big fingers to get in there and turn it.

A picture is worth 1000 words....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Bruce

I made a HOn3 Truck Tuner using a High Speed Steel 1/8" diameter single flute countersink.  I bought it from McMaster Carr, #2846A11 for $7.11 + $13 shipping (!).  60 degree angle, same as unit sold by MicroMark.

I cut it so it fit between the journals and 3D printed a small knob with a point on one end and a hole to push the countersink into.

Works great.

Brian Kopp

Bruce that is awesome! You wouldn't perhaps be willing to share the STL file?? 8-)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Thanks Bill. At $8 a pair, $12 with Kadee wheelsets, they are a nice deal. Especially now that David has tweaked them to work better.....
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL