Western Rails HOn3 trucks

Brian Kopp

There was discussion here 6 weeks ago about sourcing HOn3 3'7" trucks.

The Western Rails folks were mentioned.

An order I place 2 weeks ago for ten pairs came in today. I took two closeups to try and show the 3'7" dimension and also the sideframe detail.

I have not cleaned out the journals yet or done a rolling test with the recommended Kadee 718 wheelsets. If you supply your own Kadee wheelsets (Western Rails will sell them too you for $4 per truck pair) you can save about a quarter (Nate's price match or Harris) and the complete truck pair cost works out to $11.75. Not bad for having brakes too, assuming they roll well......

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

jhoff02@...

Have you been able to tell how they roll?jim

Brian Kopp

If that Western Rails question was for me, then not yet. I should be able to look at them over the holiday. I was attempting surgery on some HOn3 PSC SP Thielsen sideframes to turn them into DRG style Thielsen trucks......sort of. I was curious if I could do it. One way or another I will finish that and get the Western Rails trucks going before New Years....

But maybe somebody else in the group has played with them already.
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

John Stutz

I have some Western Rails trucks, and they roll fairly well.  Was looking over the 6' WB BRB&L pasenger trucks just now.  These are the correct wheelbase for the Pullman cars used in Colorado, and for White Pass in general.

Much of their free roling is due to using Kadee wheelsets, which have acetel resin axles.  Rolling freedom can be improved by polishing the axlebox bearing and adding a dop of Neolube collodial graphite. One does need to take care not to distort the Kadee axle tips, when inserting or removing.

John Stutz

Brian Kopp

Jim,

I think I have owed you a response from about 2 months on the TR05 trucks from Western Rails.

I bought 10 pairs and can report that with a bit of work they will roll nicely.

I used Bill Miller's trick and reamed the journal holes with 3-4 spins of a tapered 1-72 tap. They are cheap on ebay. The Kadee tap I have is not tapered so that one didn't fit. I angle the tap in from the top. I then clean out the shavings with a knife.

Next a microbrush full of Neolube 2 goes in each journal hole. It is graphite suspended in alcohol so no magic there, just really easy to put on. The alcohol dries off immediately.

One challenge with this version of the TR05 trucks is that the brake supports rub against the axles of my Kadee 718 wheelsets. David at Western Rails was real helpful and with his guidance I worked out a solution: First put cardstock between the brake supports and axles to pre-stress the supports into a good position (see picture). Then CAREFULLY apply heat to soften the supports. When they cool they will remember their new position. Remove cardstock and roll on..... I use a hot-air rework gun with a fine tip from my electronics workbench. About 5 slow passes at 2" above the truck with 400C air did the trick. The rework gun is in one photo.

The trucls will self start on my 3% grade rollout test track but so far only one will roll off the end like Blackstones do.

I did loose a few brake supports. They are delicate but fussing with the process at the start was when it happened, mostly.

I have a comparison photo of a brake-less TR05 and a Kadee  716 truck that gives a feel for the detail.

David told me he is working on another version that will circumvent the issue with the brake supports rubbing on the axles. I will be ordering some more when they are ready! At $8 a pair, $12 with 718 wheelsets included, its a decent price for a 3'7" truck with brakes.....and its available, unlike Grandt Lines or Blackstones........

Brian

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Mark Lewis

Brian,

Thanks for the clear photos and "tips" on getting the Western Rails TR05 arch bar trucks ready to use.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.