Western Rails HOn3 Thielsen Truck Review

Brian Kopp

David Kmecik sent me a couple first-run pairs of his new westernrails.com Rio Grande style Thielsen trucks. He had two styles of brake mounts he was working on: one with typical under-the-axle brake bar mounts and one with over the axle brake bar mounts. I reviewed them and shared these comments with him:

1) Excellent detail. Very appropriate for use on early narrow gauge like D&RGW.
2) Forgiving material with just enough flexibility for inserting wheelsets without risk of damage, especially to the brake bar.
3) I prefer the underside brake bar mount to the over-top mount. (It looks like the underside mount is what you are selling on the website).
4) The color is great for ready-to-run use, right out of the bag. I was even thinking dry-brush would suffice to do some rusting or weathering, if you don't want to break out the airbrush.
5) My roll-out tests on my incline test track were decent and repeatable when using the trucks as received. I also noted that when I reamed the journals on two trucks and added lubricant, there was no change in roll-out distance, so you have really dialed in and tuned the manufacturing process.

I had already seen photos and had a discussion with David about how much he could narrow the arch-bar material. It is an narrow as he can go.

I liked them enough to place an order for a dozen sets.

Here is a photo of them with some Kadee 718 wheelsets that I had put a little rust color on already. I did not paint the trucks at all.

FYI, I do not have a financial interest in Western Rails.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Dusty

Brian,

I've already ordered a couple of pairs for examination and use but:

1. Any possibility of additional images from other angles.

2. What did you use as a lubricant.

3. Are there any lubricants to avoid with specific types of 3D Prints?

4. How does the bolster height compare to Grandt 3'7"s?

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Brian Kopp

Hey Dusty,

I am using Neolube 2 in the journals. Its in the background of the photos below.

here are some more photos of the WR Thielsen trucks along side Kadee 3'7" archbar trucks. Let me know if you need a specific angle. I didn't photo the overhead brake mount version since that is not the one pictured on the website (but I can if you want it).

They sit higher than Grandt Lines. See below.

I also included one photo for context. The only thing I had at hand that could look appropriate on the Thielsen's..... This is a plastic bash project to convert an HO Mantua 1860 box car into an HOn3 28' 1880's box car. It is a first attempt and also not finished so no laughing. =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Gary Crawford

Just a giggle cuz I understand the bash, debating a similar one myself. Looking good!

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021, 6:59 PM Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:
Hey Dusty,

I am using Neolube 2 in the journals. Its in the background of the photos below.

here are some more photos of the WR Thielsen trucks along side Kadee 3'7" archbar trucks. Let me know if you need a specific angle. I didn't photo the overhead brake mount version since that is not the one pictured on the website (but I can if you want it).

They sit higher than Grandt Lines. See below.

I also included one photo for context. The only thing I had at hand that could look appropriate on the Thielsen's..... This is a plastic bash project to convert an HO Mantua 1860 box car into an HOn3 28' 1880's box car. It is a first attempt and also not finished so no laughing. =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Thanks Gary. I can't resist those Mantua and AHM 1860 cars when they come on ebay for $5. I have collected more than half a dozen which for plastic bashing may be overly ambitious on my part.....

Here is a before and almost-after sitting on the Thielsen trucks. (The roof-walk is on temporarily). Stirrups, painting, decals, couplers, trucks, weathering and that's it..... =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Gary and anybody else,
its been quiet so I thought I'd show a bit more progress on my 1860 HO box car conversion in a before and after photo. Still some painting and weathering, and stirrups to put back on before it is done. I had already pinned it for Kadee trucks so no Thielsens on this first one.

For a first conversion there was quite a bit of cussing in the shop but otherwise I am pretty happy with this initial effort. Many of you know the photo of Santa Fe 9172 on the DSP&P. I was sort of shooting for a car from that series......

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Sorry narrow gauge  A.T.&S.F.R.R.  9176 in that unique photo, not 9172 ......

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Ok after sending the last message I took to finishing this project.....posted the final photo where the project started....

https://groups.io/g/EarlyRail/message/52606

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL