was Super Glue aka CAin now soldering iron

Mike Conder

I have an Antex iron based on Mark’s suggestion and really like it, highly recommended!  Not just for welding coupler boxes but it’s great for decoder and other small wire installations.

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 10:40 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
The trouble you American have is everything has to be big, including soldering irons. I use UK based Antex irons which are available in the US with a 1mm. bit to weld the two tabs at the back of 714's. Do not need to heat weld anything else. you're only looking at holding the whole together until the screw goes in. No, you do not need a special bit to do this, any residual plastic can be wiped off with a paper towel.

Bill Lugg

This is what I use to solder decoder wires...  ;o)

Bill Lugg

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 10:40 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@kaspro.net <mailto:mark@kaspro.net>> wrote:

The trouble you American have is everything has to be big,
including soldering irons. I use UK based Antex irons which are
available in the US with a 1mm. bit to weld the two tabs at the
back of 714's. Do not need to heat weld anything else. you're only
looking at holding the whole together until the screw goes in. No,
you do not need a special bit to do this, any residual plastic can
be wiped off with a paper towel.

For the 1:1 scale, locos, right Bill?

Mike Conder

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021, 1:06 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:
This is what I use to solder decoder wires...  ;o)

Bill Lugg

On 4/3/21 10:53 AM, Mike Conder wrote:
> I have an Antex iron based on Mark’s suggestion and really like it,
> highly recommended!  Not just for welding coupler boxes but it’s great
> for decoder and other small wire installations.
>
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 10:40 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...
> <mailto:mark@...>> wrote:
>
>     The trouble you American have is everything has to be big,
>     including soldering irons. I use UK based Antex irons which are
>     available in the US with a 1mm. bit to weld the two tabs at the
>     back of 714's. Do not need to heat weld anything else. you're only
>     looking at holding the whole together until the screw goes in. No,
>     you do not need a special bit to do this, any residual plastic can
>     be wiped off with a paper towel.
>
>     Mark K
>
> --
> Mike Conder

Bill Lugg

It would have to be.  That thing would vaporize our decoders.  :o)

Bill

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021, 1:06 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@risebroadband.net <mailto:luggw1@risebroadband.net>> wrote:

This is what I use to solder decoder wires...  ;o)

Bill Lugg

On 4/3/21 10:53 AM, Mike Conder wrote:
> I have an Antex iron based on Mark’s suggestion and really like it,
> highly recommended!  Not just for welding coupler boxes but it’s
great
> for decoder and other small wire installations.
>
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 10:40 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@kaspro.net
<mailto:mark@kaspro.net>
> <mailto:mark@kaspro.net <mailto:mark@kaspro.net>>> wrote:
>
>     The trouble you American have is everything has to be big,
>     including soldering irons. I use UK based Antex irons which are
>     available in the US with a 1mm. bit to weld the two tabs at the
>     back of 714's. Do not need to heat weld anything else.
you're only
>     looking at holding the whole together until the screw goes
in. No,
>     you do not need a special bit to do this, any residual
plastic can
>     be wiped off with a paper towel.
>
>     Mark K
>
> --
> Mike Conder

Ken Martin

Well it wasn’t gas heated but I knew a man who used the old style wide tip 100W electric irons to scratch build contest quality brass models.

Ken Martin

On Apr 3, 2021, at 12:06 PM, Bill Lugg <luggw1@risebroadband.net> wrote:

This is what I use to solder decoder wires... ;o)

Bill Lugg

rick@...

Bill,

Scenes from the brass locomotive makers some time ago (maybe the 50's) showed their workers using a big iron like that but with a place off to the side for heating. That is the way all the detail parts were put on. It has so much mass that it sets off the solder in microseconds, so you don't need to linger over a spot.

Rick

This is what I use to solder decoder wires...  ;o)

Bill Lugg

kevin b

my Father, long since gone, used to scratch build O scale locos using brass.
even used some kind of howitzer shell for one boiler, don't ask me caliber etc cause it's been too long.
anyway, he had a sure enough acetylene and oxygen torch set up to do some stuff with.
had an itty bitty burner tip. he used wet rags all over the place where he didn't want things to unsolder.
and, he used hell outta tix flux too.
also used a basic soldering iron for the really small bits.
Kevin.

Bill,

Scenes from the brass locomotive makers some time ago (maybe the 50's)
showed their workers using a big iron like that but with a place off to
the side for heating. That is the way all the detail parts were put on.
It has so much mass that it sets off the solder in microseconds, so you
don't need to linger over a spot.

Rick

> This is what I use to solder decoder wires...  ;o)
>
> Bill Lugg

Ray

It's a little late for April Fools!
--