Wanted PSC C-16 boiler early

bassb04011

Does anyone have one of the brass, PSC EARLY C-16 boilers and short smoke box you'd be willing to sell?  I'm looking for the brass, preformed/rolled ones.
Thanks,

Brian Bass

John Stutz

Brian

If you cannot find a Kemtron/PSC boiler, consider K&S tube, available in 1/32"  (2.7" HO) increments of telescoping tubes up to 21/32" (57" HO), and larger in heavier wall thicknesses.  To see what is available, use the McMaster Carr website at https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/copper-brass-and-bronze/ultra-formable-260-brass-round-tubes/ .  They give a very clear listing of almost all that K&S offers, which is about twice what Walthers carries, while the K&S website does a truly excellent job of concealing the contents of their range.

For slightly larger sizes, the 21/32 tube can be split down the bottom and expanded by inserting rings of 21/32 tube into the barrel.  The firebox end will require some hand bending to keep it opened up around the motor slot, but this is easier than trying to roll your own.  K&S does make larger sizes, but with thicker walls, and a thick wall makes soldering more difficult, mostly by making accidental unsoldering much easier.

Note that the nominal boiler diameter given in American builder's descriptions is generally the inside diameter of the front boiler ring, which with our usual construction is the outside diameter of the smoke box.  So you need to add twice the boiler sheet and lagging thicknesses to get the diameter over the lagging sheets.  Say about 5" to 7" for our small locomotives.

John Stutz