Topics

Thinning Floquil Paints

tom peterman

I have some old Floquil paint I want to use on a project, but need to thin for airbrushing.  I don't have any DioSol thinner left, so what is a substitute that is compatible with Floquil paint?
Thanks,
Tom

David Laverick

Tom,

I ran a profession model shop for years and we used lacquer thinner with excellent results when DioSol was not available. We always used Lacquer thinner to clean airbrush parts.

Dave

On Apr 16, 2020, at 5:14 PM, tom peterman via groups.io <tomp1000@...> wrote:

I have some old Floquil paint I want to use on a project, but need to thin for airbrushing.  I don't have any DioSol thinner left, so what is a substitute that is compatible with Floquil paint?
Thanks,
Tom

David Laverick

BTW I have a huge collection of Floquil, when I learned it was being eliminated I bought their remaining stock we used for landscaping architectural models by the quart and pint. If you need a color let me know.

On Apr 16, 2020, at 5:14 PM, tom peterman via groups.io <tomp1000@...> wrote:

I have some old Floquil paint I want to use on a project, but need to thin for airbrushing.  I don't have any DioSol thinner left, so what is a substitute that is compatible with Floquil paint?
Thanks,
Tom

tom peterman

Thanks Dave, think I have used lacquer thinner in the past, but wasn't sure.  Thanks for the response.
Tom

Pete C

Lacquer thinner works well and you can control the the drying time by getting fast drying or medium drying thinner.  I have been using xylol for the past 50 years.
If you are interested here is a post from a while back that has the exact diosol formula.

Pete
———-

 copied the Diosol formula posted in one of the yahoo groups several
years ago by a chemist who lab analyzed and posted the formula. This
is as posted verbatim.

"38% by vol toluene, 41% by vol xylene  and  21% by  vol  Solvesso
100  (a long evaporation rate aromatic hydrocarbon solvent).   Getting
the toluene and xylene is not difficult, but the Solvesso 100 is only
available through  chemical suppliers."

I was fortunate to have a local paint manufacturer - Sherwin Williams
- that could provide the Solvesso 100 which is also known as Naptha 100.

https://www.solverchem.com/articles/agricultural-chemicals-and-properties/naphtha-aromatic-solvent-solvesso-100-msds-general-definitions-specifications/details

Also, I would never soak anything other than metal in Diosol. And
acetone is not a paint thinner. Cleanup, yes. Thinner, no.
———

On Apr 16, 2020, at 6:38 PM, David Laverick <dave@...> wrote:

Tom,

I ran a profession model shop for years and we used lacquer thinner with excellent results when DioSol was not available. We always used Lacquer thinner to clean airbrush parts.

Dave

On Apr 16, 2020, at 5:14 PM, tom peterman via groups.io <tomp1000@...> wrote:

I have some old Floquil paint I want to use on a project, but need to thin for airbrushing.  I don't have any DioSol thinner left, so what is a substitute that is compatible with Floquil paint?
Thanks,
Tom

Ric Case

50% toluene
50% xylene
Duplicates dip sol!
Chemist friend broke it down for me as I have 100 plus bottles of floquil paint also!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Apr 16, 2020, at 6:41 PM, David Laverick <dave@...> wrote:

BTW I have a huge collection of Floquil, when I learned it was being eliminated I bought their remaining stock we used for landscaping architectural models by the quart and pint. If you need a color let me know.

On Apr 16, 2020, at 5:14 PM, tom peterman via groups.io <tomp1000@...> wrote:

I have some old Floquil paint I want to use on a project, but need to thin for airbrushing.  I don't have any DioSol thinner left, so what is a substitute that is compatible with Floquil paint?
Thanks,
Tom

Climax@...

Yes Lacquer thinner does work for Floquil, I asking about 410M  Paint.

Thanks Dave, think I have used lacquer thinner in the past, but wasn't sure.  Thanks for the response.
Tom

brian_budeit

Pretty sure Testors Universal Enamel thinner is still available, I use that with my remaining Floquil paint. If I remember, Diosol was eliminated a few years before they pulled the plug on Floquil. I really wish someone would duplicate Floquil's formula. I'm out of several key colors, mainly white. Floquil wasn't perfect, but I have to say I really don't like Model Master acrylics, no matter how hard I try to learn the tricks of the product.

brian b

On Thursday, April 16, 2020, 06:53:27 PM EDT, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick, I probably have 500 bottles of Floquil and I found Lacquor thinner from Lowe's works just fine for me through an airbrush.  Ever heard of what thins 410M paint line?

[...]

Brian what white do you need?
Also did you write an article on the candy house in coles? I am finishing my Coles! And remember seeing something but can’t remember where!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Apr 16, 2020, at 7:04 PM, brian_budeit via groups.io <brian_budeit@...> wrote:

[...]

Ric, ok I guess one of the chemists are wrong then,  I am not a chemist and only passed on the information I was given.
Pete

On Apr 16, 2020, at 6:53 PM, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

[...]

tonyk537

I have about 400 bottles of Floquil also and use laquer thinner to thin.  Have been running out of a few colors and have been replacing with Scalecoat.  Have to say, I like Scalecoat just as much as Floquil and about every railroad color under the sun is available.

Tony Kassin

Ric Case

Pete how true!
I know that my mixture works!
Thanks for the information I will have to check with my friend to get the third part!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Apr 16, 2020, at 8:20 PM, Pete C <sp4450@...> wrote:

[...]

I do miss Floquil though especially for painting wooden buildings but I am trying to use the safer paints.
I will typically spray on a lite coat of a solvent based primer and that greatl  reduces the chances of warping.

Pete

On Apr 16, 2020, at 8:27 PM, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Conder

no you guys are both right.  Xylene/toluene is what Floquil used (and why it is no longer available as they are slightly toxic) buy lacquer thinner also works fine.

Mike Conder

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 6:20 PM Pete C <sp4450@...> wrote:
[...]

Stop these emails. Thank you. <lwreno@...>

Xylene and Toluene should be considered as more than slightly toxic.  Back in the 1970's or early 80's, one of the painters who worked at The Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena was reported to have developed a fatal case of Aplastic Anemia after using Floquil without adequate protection.  This incident was reported in MR or RMC.  For those of you who don't know, Xylene and Toulene are both organic solvents closely related to Benzene.  Benzene even back then was regarded as a carcinogen often associated with the development of Acute Myloid Leukemia (AML). Clinically, Aplastic Anemia is a condition in which red cell production in the bone marrow shuts down and cannot be restarted.  It may kill the patient quickly or metamorphize into a virtually untreatable form of AML. In either case, it's a particularly awful way to die.

[...]

Mark Lewis

To "Stop these emails",

Interesting data, but who are "you", to present this important information ?

We, as a group, deserve your signature.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020, 5:29 AM Stop these emails. Thank you. via groups.io <lwreno=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry for that silly identifier that I have not found a way to get rid of.  I'm not even sure how it got there in the first place.  Anyhow...my name is Lawrence Wisniewski, and lwreno@... should be my screen name.  As far as who I am professionally, I'm a  72 year old retired Ph.D. Clinical Laboratory Director with a specialty in human cytogenetics (chromosome analysis), which is a somewhat obscure part of the spectrum of human pathology laboratory services.  Among it's many areas of application in clinical diagnosis is cancer, specifically hematological malignant and premalignant conditions {leukemias, lymhomas, myelomas, myelodysplasia, myloproliferative disorders).  I examined roughly 75,000 marrow specimens for diagnostic purposes and learned a fair amount about human neoplasia although my principle interests were always birth defects, reproductive failure, and developmental disorders.  I was board certified in 1987 and held directorships in both academic and commercial labs. My memory tells me that I was a Director of a commercial lab in LA when the incident I described was reported in the modeling press.  I often went to Pasadena to check out Fred's brass but I never met the painter who died.  A lot of people were pretty careless with Floquil products back then and I could see through the door into the back room area that some of the people were airbrushing without any facial protection.  We all scoffed at things that were reputed to be cancer causing back then.  Now, not so much.  It wasn't too long after that that Floquil began its search for better formulas.

If you can tell me who to talk to to get that damn identifier changed to lwreno like it is supposed to be, I'd really appreciate it.  It's hindered my participation in this group for years.  By the way, I believe if you click on the current identifier, it should bring up lwreno as my actual name.

Again, my apologies.

[...]

Just a quick follow up to my previous response to you:  I suggest you Goggle Tolulene and Xylene.  Tolulene is listed as a known carcinogen.  Xylene is a bit more problematic but there has always been a lot of suspicion that it is also carcinogenic.  Organic solvents like these two can cause extremely serious respiratory irritation in instances of high exposure.   I know from personal experience what a lung full of either of these feels like.  Back in the 1960's, both solvents were used extensively in slide making and other forms of specimen preparation and staining.  Many a night I left the lab with a huge buzz on and waking up the next day was no fun at all.  It definitely hurt to breath.  I'm getting rather graphic about the perils of these chemicals since formula information about diosol is again being shared on line.  You can still buy Xylene from hardware and paint outlets, but the last thing I can look past  given my previous commitments to health care is a bunch of folks trying to find a source of ToluIene to recreate an obsolete paint formula without any knowledge that eventually  it would have banned for it's danger to health and also the important precautionary measures that need to be taken in it's presence.  That comment someone posted about them being mildly toxic is off base.   Good modeling and stay safe.

[...]

jczul36

Lawrence, I am aware of the history of this painter who painted for The Original Whistle Stop.  He’s was never the "store’s painter” (Someone who actually painted at the store) as Jerry Spoelma.  But was an individual who would seek paint work from the store as I.  However, this painter did not take precautions while painting and would bath in the thinner.  He would not wear gloves, constantly washed his hands with the thinner, and did not have proper ventilation to spray the paint.  The actual Whistle Stop painter who is now 82 years old, has never had health problems relating to solvent paints and has always had a large spray booth with proper ventilation.  He always wears gloves regardless of what paint he is painting.  I too have been painting for 40 years and also take the needed precautions.

I don’t know how much damage Floquil did to our atmosphere as an industry, but it was sad to see it go.  l liked the paint and thought it was very good.  It was very versatile.  It sprayed well, was a great for washes, and was also good for brush application.  I do miss it a little, but there are many other paints on the market that have taken it’s place.  I replaced my floquil with Valejo for brush painting (very durable and does not craze when sprayed with lacquer), and oil paints have replaced floquil for the washes.  It took two different brands to replace the one.

My actual point; Every and any paint can be harmful to your health especially when inhaled.  Just because it’s water base does not mean it’s not harmful.  All paints have pigments, thinners, and retarders to slow the drying process(Some more harmful than others). All can have health risk, and it’s important to take needed precautions when spraying any type of paint.  Hobby painters, I don’t care if you paint a lot or a little, all need to take precautions to spray any paint.

jc