The continual quest for metal siding...

Scott Baker

I attached a photo from a recent experiment. The material is heavy aluminum foil. I made the scribing tool from the head piece of a $20 Wahl brand electric hair trimmer that quit working. On the trimmer head, the outside "tines" are wider so I removed them with a Dremel. I also salvaged the motor which measures 15x20x32 (not sure how well it would work if i use it for re-motoring brass).
Observations:
1. The ribs would impress deeper if I backed the aluminum up with something soft or a bed of caulk that some have done rather than scribing on glass.
2. The ribs "look" right, but are exactly 3" on center in ho, it may be a better application for S scale, but again, no one is walking around the layout with a scale rule and it looks about right, though I didn't compare it to any of the other ho siding I have from various manufacturers.

Just an experiment with zero dollars spent and some random thoughts...
Scott

Silicone rubber sheets come in wide range or softness (durometer). Unless you have a cheap source of the stuff that experiment could be pricystill I think  rubber sheet of the right thickness and durometer backed by something hard and flat would be the answer.  EdW

Eric Schrowang

There is a company that caters to plastic military molders, sorfy forget the name, they have a punch and die set for creating corrugated metal in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/35 scale. The 1/72 scale should look OK in HO unless you were really looking to be spot on.

Eric

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021, 11:51 AM Scott Baker <sbake5570@...> wrote:
[...]

John Hutnick

Here is an article from January Railway Modeller showing how to make corrugated siding from aluminum food trays.  Use some type of heavy rubber as a backing.

Bruce

image.png
With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584 cell

jmcqiv@...

I have used Plastruct N Scale corrugated siding  for HO metal siding.  The sheets are thinner than Evergreen Scale sheets and the corrugations are extruded on both sides of the sheet.

Jim McQueeny MMR
Rockford, IL USA

On Friday, April 23, 2021, 8:17:32 AM CDT, Ed Weldon <23.weldon@...> wrote:

Silicone rubber sheets come in wide range or softness (durometer). Unless you have a cheap source of the stuff that experiment could be pricystill I think  rubber sheet of the right thickness and durometer backed by something hard and flat would be the answer.  EdW

Eric Schrowang

Thats the one. Saw a demo on Trains TV looked pretty good.
Eric

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021, 10:34 AM Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:

image.png
With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584 cell

Ray

--What are the units for the motor?
Ray in Colorado

Scott Baker

Thanks for all the responses from everyone.
Ed, that sounds interesting. What I have seen others do is spread out a thin layer of silicon caulk on possibly a sheet of wax paper and then lay the foil on the caulk bed. This would allow the tines in the tool i used impress deeper in the foil. I did a quick experiment with the foil on a sheet of glass that is on my work bench and the impression was not deep enough. The thin caulk layer on the bottom of the foil will also help prevent the ribs from being crushed.

Jim, I have only seen the ho scale Plastruct and it seemed out of scale. The N scale sounds like it may be a good choice and the fact that the sheet is thinner is even better.

Ray, I hope to find motors for larger K series locomotives k-27,28,36, etc. I was modeling TOC NG (and still build models from this era) but have recently begun to focus on the San Juan Extension after destroying layout and moving to a new house. I have enough room to model Durango extensively and two of the lines leaving town. I'm just beginning planning stage, building Durango structures, and considering modeling the line to Chama and the the line to Silverton with the RGS being the third line out of town that will be represented with staging. I'm also considering reversing Silverton/RGS in regards to staging. These are just ideas, I'm still very early in research...Scott

Mike Conder

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 6:07 PM Scott Baker <sbake5570@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike. BTW, I loved the article you helped write on kitbashing/backdating Blackstone C-19's a few years back in the hon3 annual.

Mike Conder

Oh thanks Scott, that was my first loco kit bashing and it’s neat to hear that someone remembers it!

Mike Conder

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 6:25 PM Scott Baker <sbake5570@...> wrote:
Thanks Mike. BTW, I loved the article you helped write on kitbashing/backdating Blackstone C-19's a few years back in the hon3 annual.

Mike Settle

The following company makes siding making tools in several scales.

Brunel Models Corrugated Iron Maker (brunelhobbies.com.au)

I purchased the 1/35th scale and the HO scale ones but have not tried them out yet.

Mike Settle

Scott Baker

Thanks Mike. Did you buy through a US distributer?

Scott

Mike Settle

Hey, Scott, I ordered them directly from Brunel Models. I paid with Paypal. They were quick about getting them mailed to me. I am not aware of a US distributor.

Mike Settle