Topics

Stoner Creel

Robert Herrick

I've been trading emails with Steffen about a replacement motor for my Westside C-16, the open frame motor version with the footboard pilot. He offers two versions: one with a lower gear reduction producing a scale 20mph or a version for a road engine with a top scale speed of 45mph I am building a shelf layout of Espanola with room to expand to Embudo and possibly beyond. I'd like to replace the pilot for road use, but the locomotive will be used for switching on the layout. Doubt the prototype operated much faster than 20mph, but I'm concerned about being limited to that speed. Anyone have experience with either one of Steffen's gearing options especially with respect to what is appropriate for my intended use?

Thanks,

Bob Herrick

Dale Buxton

Bob,

20 mph as a top speed seems a little slow in my opinion. On the prototype you could figure (more or less) 1 mph for every inch of Driving wheel diameter.
So for a C-16 that would be 36 inches or around 36 mph but in actual practice more like 30 mph tops. These little locos hardly ever ran flat out.

Steffen must be using a 12 or 13 mm Faulhaber. The Faulhaber spur gear 12 mm gearhead’s highest gear ratio is 3.45:1. I can’t remember off the top of my head what the 12 mm planetary highest gear ratio is. But I think it’s in the 9:1 area.

You might just be better off going with a 12 or 13 mm Faulhaber without a gearhead and use the original gear tower in the model.

I know one fellow that has done bunches of these with a 1519 Faulhaber with no gearhead and a NWSL 34 or is it 36:1 gear tower ( I can’t remember exactly the ratio). He swears by this lash up!

Dale Buxton

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 12:58 Robert Herrick <rdherrick@...> wrote:
I've been trading emails with Steffen about a replacement motor for my Westside C-16, the open frame motor version with the footboard pilot. He offers two versions: one with a lower gear reduction producing a scale 20mph or a version for a road engine with a top scale speed of 45mph I am building a shelf layout of Espanola with room to expand to Embudo and possibly beyond. I'd like to replace the pilot for road use, but the locomotive will be used for switching on the layout. Doubt the prototype operated much faster than 20mph, but I'm concerned about being limited to that speed. Anyone have experience with either one of Steffen's gearing options especially with respect to what is appropriate for my intended use?

Thanks,

Bob Herrick

Don Bergman

[...]

I have 2 Westside C-16s with Stoner Creek's re-motor kits. Had to do it 20 years ago in order to in stall decoders.  The 2 together double head nicely.  20 mph top speed no problem.   On the RGS they could rarely exceed that anyway.  Not sure if he still offers the Kit I used.    I also have Steffen's kits in 2 Westside T-12.   All 4 run nicely.  Very pleased with the results for all 4.  I had no problems with the instillation and mechanical skills working in brass is not my strong suit.

Don Bergman

I've been trading emails with Steffen about a replacement motor for my Westside C-16, the open frame motor version with the footboard pilot. He offers two versions: one with a lower gear reduction producing a scale 20mph or a version for a road engine with a top scale speed of 45mph I am building a shelf layout of Espanola with room to expand to Embudo and possibly beyond. I'd like to replace the pilot for road use, but the locomotive will be used for switching on the layout. Doubt the prototype operated much faster than 20mph, but I'm concerned about being limited to that speed. Anyone have experience with either one of Steffen's gearing options especially with respect to what is appropriate for my intended use?

Thanks,

Bob Herrick

rohman@...

Hi Guys

Prior to this thread I hadn’t heard of Stoner Creek. Thanks for the info you have all posted. I take it that Stoner Creek is still in business. I have looked up his website and come up with a site that seems last updated in 2006.

Does he have a more up to date site?

Thanks, Jim Rohman

rohman@...

Hi Guys

Prior to this thread I hadn’t heard of Stoner Creek. Thanks for the info you have all posted. I take it that Stoner Creek is still in business. I have looked up his website and come up with a site that seems last updated in 2006.

Does he have a more up to date site?

Thanks, Jim

Robert Herrick

I've been doing business via email. You tell him what locomotive you have and he lets you know whether he has a remotoring kit, the price, etc.

Bob Herrick

Robert Herrick

It's Stoner Creek. Steffen's email is steffen.rosmus@.... He's in Germany.

Bob