Topics

squadron putty

Robert Veefkind

Good afternoon Ladies and gentlemen

Is there an equivalent to squadron putty to fill small holes in plastic but black in color?    Bob V.

Bill Nelson

if  you  file  some  black  plastic  and  ad  a  tad  of  trine  glue  to  the  black  plastic  sawdust,  you  have  just  made  your  own.

Bill  Nelson

On Sep 19, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Robert Veefkind via groups.io <snookdust@...> wrote:

Is there an equivalent to squadron putty to fill small holes in plastic but black in color?    Bob V.

John Stutz

Bob

I am not aware of a commercial product.

You might try dissolving black styrene in MEK or in any of the liquid cements for styrene, until you get a putty constancy. This will bond well to styrene but is likely to shrink severely. Adding an inert filler to to this should reduce the shrinkage. I would try lampblack, black chalk dust, or charcoal dust mixed into the above, or into a clear commercial bodied styrene cement, adjusting viscosity with MEK or a liquid styrene cement.

This is essentially what the squadron and similar putties are: a fine inert filler mixed with a plastic binder and enough solvent to soften the mix. The older products which were originally intended for wooden model airplane construction used acetate plastic, as did Ambroid's model cement, and neither binds well to styrene. Modern putties for use with styrene are more compatible, being made with styrene but i find them a little short of binder..

John Stutz

On September 19, 2020 at 12:53 PM "Robert Veefkind via groups.io" <snookdust@...> wrote:

asandrini

Tamiya makes body filler, but not sure of the colors.

Al

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/19/20 12:53 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: hon3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] squadron putty

Climax@...

Get some Kadee black spues and grind them up, or sand them into a pile.  Add a trace of liquid glue so its a paste and fill away.  Repeat until satisified.  It may take a week to dry hard, then sand and gloss

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sep 19, 2020 4:28 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io, "Robert Veefkind via groups.io"
Subject: Re: [HOn3] squadron putty

Bob

I am not aware of a commercial product.

You might try dissolving black styrene in MEK or in any of the liquid cements for styrene, until you get a putty constancy. This will bond well to styrene but is likely to shrink severely. Adding an inert filler to to this should reduce the shrinkage. I would try lampblack, black chalk dust, or charcoal dust mixed into the above, or into a clear commercial bodied styrene cement, adjusting viscosity with MEK or a liquid styrene cement.

This is essentially what the squadron and similar putties are: a fine inert filler mixed with a plastic binder and enough solvent to soften the mix. The older products which were originally intended for wooden model airplane construction used acetate plastic, as did Ambroid's model cement, and neither binds well to styrene. Modern putties for use with styrene are more compatible, being made with styrene but i find them a little short of binder..

John Stutz

On September 19, 2020 at 12:53 PM "Robert Veefkind via groups.io" <snookdust@...> wrote:

Mark Kasprowicz

The other thing is that not all samples of black look the same. If a true match is the quest you may be looking for a suitable paint not filler.

Mark K
Oxon England.