From: Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...>
Date: July 13, 2020 at 6:19:33 PM PDT
To: slimgaugeguild@groups.io
Subject: Re:  [slimgaugeguild] Dave Garcia

Perhaps most concerning is that Dave had “rescued” a lot of D&RGW documents when the Alameda station attic was being emptied by the railroad. I’m sure he had far more than that.

The question is did he make provisions to donate that material to the various museums?

Another question is did he have family?
Families often just throw those things out.

I also heard he had a lot of HOn3 brass and parts. Again does anybody know it’s disposition?
Jim

On Jul 13, 2020, at 6:08 PM, William Beverly via groups.io <mail2archive@...> wrote:

Hey Guys;

I have some sad news to report. I got a call from Nick, he reported that Dave Garcia just passed away.

Nick did not have a lot of details, apparently Dave was recovering from heart issues and also may of had Covid-19 in the end.

If anyone else can fill in the details, let us know.

Dave was a treasure trove of information and was a friend of the Guild, very sad to heard he is gone.

Bill Beverly
traintalk@...

--
James G. Spencer FAIA

Jeff Reynolds

Dave had a brother with co-ownership of a ranch in No Cal. I'm sure he'll be involved, but I know nothing about his brother. Bob Cook would know.
jefe

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 7:12 PM James Spencer <trainmanjs@...> wrote:
Some sad news about Dave Garcia. You can read below. Dave had told me long ago that he had a lot of Rio Grande archive material. Does anyone know if he had donated or otherwise gotten it into one of the museums?

He apparently was never married nor had children. And there is no family, from what I heard from Jeff Reynolds.

Does anyone know if he had an executor, someone with power of attorney, or a successor trustee?

I heard that he had a young friend who may have been helping him out. Anyone know that person?
Jim

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...>
Date: July 13, 2020 at 6:19:33 PM PDT
To: slimgaugeguild@groups.io

On Jul 13, 2020, at 6:08 PM, William Beverly via groups.io <mail2archive=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hey Guys;

I have some sad news to report. I got a call from Nick, he reported that Dave Garcia just passed away.

Nick did not have a lot of details, apparently Dave was recovering from heart issues and also may of had Covid-19 in the end.

If anyone else can fill in the details, let us know.

Dave was a treasure trove of information and was a friend of the Guild, very sad to heard he is gone.

Bill Beverly
traintalk@...

--
James G. Spencer FAIA

Dale Buxton

I talked to Dave the night before he had his heart bypass surgery and once after. In previous conversations he talked about donating some of his collections or finding homes for other things. But I have almost no details. I understand his extended family is quite large.

I will miss our long rambling  phone conversations. They were all purely golden. Few that I have known in the hobby knew as much about it or as many of the players for the last 60 plus years.

Like I said earlier today, his passing leave a mighty big hole behind.

Dale Buxton

From: Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...>
Date: July 13, 2020 at 6:19:33 PM PDT
To: slimgaugeguild@groups.io

[...]

Edited

I met Dave Garcia in 1982 when he called to ask if our very 1st open house of Mears' Madness could stay open for another hour until he got there. It was just happenstance that we lived in the same town, Downey, and there were enough hangers on to stay open until 6 p.m. He arrived bringing an HOn3 Locomotive, number 456 in naked brass I believe, and put it on the track. It was then i began to see the magic of micromotors/gearheads to make your layout space seem to actually double or triple.  Dave was a very smart guy with an unbelievable memory which did not diminish with age, like the rest of us, with fondness for narrow gauge brass. He was the product of a Hispanic father and a German mother. He spoke German but not Spanish. He was a historian and knew much about the World Wars. He was versed in a wide variety of obscure subjects, like Civil War Bands (both North and South), and was in demand as a consultant, one of the last people left that knew anything about Westinghouse Air Brakes used in urban transit vehicles.

Thus began a 38 year friendship with this giving and personable guy.

Dave reworked and remotored all twelve of my narrow gauge brass fleet: 20, 40, 41, 42, 74, 318, 452, 453, 455, 461, 462, 463. Because of all his magic, they all run the same speed, except the 318 which has a 4:1 gearhead not 6.3. It only runs from Montrose through Ridgway to Ouray, anyway, so it doesn't have to double head. He was fanatical about accuracy, CASTING, machining, and replacing brass domes; adding metal lattice to some tenders; marker lamps with jewels; kit bashing the best K series plows, especially for the 455 with that big welded patch which I've never seen modeled. Once I painted and detailed the locos, and added PFM-II sound to half of them, all his upgrades were to make those now miniscule brass models the spitting image of a photo of that loco.
In return, I painted and detailed a small chunk of his K-27 fleet, and gave him a stack of excess brass rolling stock. I got the much better end of the deal. Over time, I think he possessed and transformed every single version of the K-27, early and late including all rebuilds, plus dozens of other brass pieces.
In summary, i feel like I've lost a brother. I'll miss Dave terribly.
Bob Cook, his best friend, should reveal some details as they become available. The 20, 455, and 42, all Dave's work below at Placerville. Closer is the 42 with K-series plow at Placerville.
In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum, David Garcia.

Dale Buxton

On one of the last phone calls I had with Dave. He talked about returning your #42 after he had repaired it from a fall to the floor. I told him that I had no idea that this model was his handy work. It’s my favorite model on your layout Jeff. He also told me about moving it around prior to some of your operating sessions. Playful and witty guy wasn’t he.

Today at work this is a photo of another #455. All of the UPS 757 aircraft tail numbers fit into the original Rio Grande C-19, K-27, K-28 and K-36 cab numbering’s. Something that no one else I work with knows or cares about. But Dave got a kick out of it.

Dale Buxton

[Edited Message Follows]