Slate Shingles

Don Bergman

Anybody had success with any manufacture of HO scale Slate shingles?

Don Bergman

John Stutz

Don

I have no experience with commercial products.  But roofing slates are remarkably thin, about 1/8" in residential sizes, ranging up to ~1/4" for the largest monumental sizes, so scale to between .001" and .003" in HO.  You might try using Campbell's rolled paper shingles, or equivalent HO or S smooth paper shingle stock, and paint them a slate color.   The widths should be fairly uniform, more like shingles than shakes. Scale asphalt roofing strips, if smooth, might do for the smaller sizes.

From what I have read regarding the Welsh slate quarry operations, and the associated railroads, there were many standard commercial sizes.  I expect it was much the same for North American production, but lack any specific details.

John Stutz

On May 20, 2021 6:23 PM Don Bergman <dbrenegade@...> wrote:

Anybody had success with any manufacture of HO scale Slate shingles?

Don Bergman

prichie@...

Hello Don,
Does Wild West models or BTS have laser cut slate shingles or asphalt shingles in several scales. they
should do the Job. Paul R.

On Fri, May 21st, 2021 at 11:23 AM, Don Bergman <DBRenegade@hotmail.com> wrote:

Anybody had success with any manufacture of HO scale Slate shingles?

Don Bergman

Michael Dunn

Don,

Try Rail Scale Models:

While I haven't used their slate shingles specifically, they do have several slate varieties. I placed a test order with them last year for some cedar shakes. They were responsive, shipped quick and make a solid product.

No affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.

Mike

On May 20, 2021, at 9:23 PM, Don Bergman <DBRenegade@...> wrote:

Anybody had success with any manufacture of HO scale Slate shingles?

Don Bergman

Nigel Phillips

Minimum thickness for slate tiles is around 3/16" . That is around 0.04mm in 1:87, 0.046mm in 1:76. Sheet of thin paper thickness. Try some downloadable scale slate and make your own. Although at these scales I would not bother using strips. Search [textured slate download] in your scale. Or make your own strips using thin craft paper in various shades of blue/grey, or print your own using various shades of blue/grey.

Nigel

On Friday, May 21, 2021, Michael Dunn <mdunn@...> wrote:
Don,

Try Rail Scale Models:

While I haven't used their slate shingles specifically, they do have several slate varieties. I placed a test order with them last year for some cedar shakes. They were responsive, shipped quick and make a solid product.

No affiliation other than being a satisfied customer.

Mike

On May 20, 2021, at 9:23 PM, Don Bergman <DBRenegade@...> wrote:

Anybody had success with any manufacture of HO scale Slate shingles?

Don Bergman

Spike

Don,  a fun thing you might try if making your own is using those special shaped scissors (Hobby Lobby/Scrapbooking) and construction paper you can make some special shapes for a decorative strip or the entire roof.

This will also give good effect for wood shingles or asphalt.

Spike

bob.meckley@...

Don:
     Here is another vendor of slate roofing. I bought some brick wall panels and they look great.

Bob Meckley
https://thenarch.com/products/slate-roofing-ho