Shinohara gone?

Climax@...

Nobody has answered the question about Shinohara track. Is Shinohara really gone? What caused them to close up shop? Are they a victim like PFM was that the original owner died and left it to his family who found the land in Japan worth more than the business and closed up shop after selling out? Is Micro Engineering taking up the slack now on dual gauge?
Dave

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Apr 6, 2021 11:40 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Looking for Shinohara Dual Gauge

Upon further review, the ruling on the field has been changed. LOL! As I put the turnout back in the box, I noticed it had a price sticker from Harris Hobbies: $42. So really my price is good, so thank your benefactor. I am building two dual gauge layouts right now: one for our club, and one for myself. The clubs trackage has been determined, but my piss-ant layout still needs the Santa Fe dual gauge section built. So right now I do have some available if perchanceyou need another. Be cool bill m.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 16:57:40 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [HOn3] Looking for Shinohara Dual Gauge

Anyone out there have a left hand Shinohara dual gauge turnout with narrow gauge on the left?  I'd be glad to take it off your hands!

Russ
--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

cmdrwmriker

holy mackeral Dave, Shino has been out of the track business now for about 3 years. I was in the process of buying some track for my chili line from Narrow Gauge Colorado and Craig told me then that I needed to get what I needed right away because it was going to get scarce real quick; His projection was correct. I bought up what I could find on Ebay, and the other NG hobbie stores I trusted. I was at the time embarking on building two dual gauge layouts; one for me, one for the club I belong to. Walthers began after about a year, advertising a track line (in MRR Mag) that was compatible with Shino-all code 83 and smaller, and no NG. Not near as many different configurations, either. So, even thought there are flex track providers, and some dual gauge, as well, there are few turnouts available, especially the dual gauge ones. Although I have pretty much what I need and have stopped looking on a regular basis, my casual looking has not run across a mfg as robust as shino was a one time.
bill m.

Sent: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 13:28:30 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [HOn3] Shinohara gone?

Nobody has answered the question about Shinohara track. Is Shinohara really gone? What caused them to close up shop? Are they a victim like PFM was that the original owner died and left it to his family who found the land in Japan worth more than the business and closed up shop after selling out? Is Micro Engineering taking up the slack now on dual gauge?
Dave

Upon further review, the ruling on the field has been changed. LOL! As I put the turnout back in the box, I noticed it had a price sticker from Harris Hobbies: $42. So really my price is good, so thank your benefactor. I am building two dual gauge layouts right now: one for our club, and one for myself. The clubs trackage has been determined, but my piss-ant layout still needs the Santa Fe dual gauge section built. So right now I do have some available if perchanceyou need another. Be cool bill m.

Anyone out there have a left hand Shinohara dual gauge turnout with narrow gauge on the left?  I'd be glad to take it off your hands!

Russ
--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Steven Haworth

Peco's got some nice looking 3' track, don't they?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 12:55 PM cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com> wrote:
holy mackeral Dave, Shino has been out of the track business now for about 3 years.  I was in the process of buying some track for my chili line from Narrow Gauge Colorado and Craig told me then that I needed to get what I needed right away because it was going to get scarce real quick; His projection was correct.  I bought up what I could find on Ebay, and the other NG hobbie stores I trusted.  I was at the time embarking on building two dual gauge layouts; one for me, one for the club I belong to.  Walthers began after about a year, advertising a track line (in MRR Mag) that was compatible with Shino-all code 83 and smaller, and no NG.  Not near as many different configurations, either.  So, even thought there are flex track providers, and some dual gauge, as well, there are few turnouts available, especially the dual gauge ones.  Although I have pretty much what I need and have stopped looking on a regular basis, my casual looking has not run across a mfg as robust as shino was a one time.
bill m.

Nobody has answered the question about Shinohara track.  Is Shinohara really gone?  What caused them to close up shop?  Are they a victim like PFM was that the original owner died and left it to his family who found the land in Japan worth more than the business and closed up shop after selling out?  Is Micro Engineering taking up the slack now on dual gauge?
Dave

>From: cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com>
>Sent: Apr 6, 2021 11:40 AM
>To: HOn3@groups.io
>Subject: Re: [HOn3] Looking for Shinohara Dual Gauge
>
>Upon further review, the ruling on the field has been changed.  LOL! As I put the turnout back in the box, I noticed it had a price sticker from Harris Hobbies: $42. So really my price is good, so thank your benefactor. I am building two dual gauge layouts right now: one for our club, and one for myself. The clubs trackage has been determined, but my piss-ant layout still needs the Santa Fe dual gauge section built. So right now I do have some available if perchanceyou need another. Be cool bill m.
>----- Original Message -----
>From: Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...>
>Sent: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 16:57:40 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: [HOn3] Looking for Shinohara Dual Gauge
>
>Anyone out there have a left hand Shinohara dual gauge turnout with narrow gauge on the left?  I'd be glad to take it off your hands!
>
>Russ
>--
>Russ Norris, MMR
>Cape Cod, Massachusetts
>http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Ric Case

My understanding is that it was sold to Walthers, and they are only producing some of the track!
Could be wrong but if true it is just another case of we bought it and are going to make it scarce because we can!
Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Apr 6, 2021, at 1:55 PM, cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com> wrote:

holy mackeral Dave, Shino has been out of the track business now for about 3 years. I was in the process of buying some track for my chili line from Narrow Gauge Colorado and Craig told me then that I needed to get what I needed right away because it was going to get scarce real quick; His projection was correct. I bought up what I could find on Ebay, and the other NG hobbie stores I trusted. I was at the time embarking on building two dual gauge layouts; one for me, one for the club I belong to. Walthers began after about a year, advertising a track line (in MRR Mag) that was compatible with Shino-all code 83 and smaller, and no NG. Not near as many different configurations, either. So, even thought there are flex track providers, and some dual gauge, as well, there are few turnouts available, especially the dual gauge ones. Although I have pretty much what I need and have stopped looking on a regular basis, my casual looking has not run across a mfg as robust as shino was a one time.
bill m.

Dave

Anyone out there have a left hand Shinohara dual gauge turnout with narrow gauge on the left? I'd be glad to take it off your hands!

Russ
--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Climax@...

Walthers has a habit of buying out smaller companies and then working the remains to death or until they ruin it. They have had Silver Streak, SSLtd. now Shinohara, and many others that just disappeared.

Sent: Apr 6, 2021 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Shinohara gone?

My understanding is that it was sold to Walthers, and they are only producing some of the track!
Could be wrong but if true it is just another case of we bought it and are going to make it scarce because we can!
Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

bill m.

Dave

Anyone out there have a left hand Shinohara dual gauge turnout with narrow gauge on the left? I'd be glad to take it off your hands!

Russ
--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Lee Gustafson

Dave,

I’m doing this from memory so I may not have it totally correct and I encourage others to fill in the gaps or correct my errors. Here it goes, the original owner/manufacturer retired and no one in Japan wanted to continue the business. Recently, Walthers has found a source to produce HO standard gauge track and turnouts but to the best of my knowledge not HOn3 or dual gauge track and turnouts. I encourage additions and or corrections to my post. 

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 12:28 PM, Climax@... <Climax@...> wrote:

Nobody has answered the question about Shinohara track.  Is Shinohara really gone?  What caused them to close up shop?  Are they a victim like PFM was that the original owner died and left it to his family who found the land in Japan worth more than the business and closed up shop after selling out?  Is Micro Engineering taking up the slack now on dual gauge?
Dave

>
>Upon further review, the ruling on the field has been changed.  LOL! As I put the turnout back in the box, I noticed it had a price sticker from Harris Hobbies: $42. So really my price is good, so thank your benefactor. I am building two dual gauge layouts right now: one for our club, and one for myself. The clubs trackage has been determined, but my piss-ant layout still needs the Santa Fe dual gauge section built. So right now I do have some available if perchanceyou need another. Be cool bill m.
>
>Anyone out there have a left hand Shinohara dual gauge turnout with narrow gauge on the left?  I'd be glad to take it off your hands!
>
>Russ
>--
>Russ Norris, MMR
>Cape Cod, Massachusetts
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Ric Case

I have been using the peco line for a few years now! I find that it too is hard to find.
They also must run turn outs on as needed basis!
I have not had any problems with the turnouts but they are only #5 no sixes! Only code 70
Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Apr 6, 2021, at 2:03 PM, Climax@mindspring.com wrote:

Walthers has a habit of buying out smaller companies and then working the remains to death or until they ruin it. They have had Silver Streak, SSLtd. now Shinohara, and many others that just disappeared.

Sent: Apr 6, 2021 2:00 PM

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

bill m.

Dave

Russ
--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

cmdrwmriker

It is truly amazing what I find to spend time on....here is a full page ad by Walthers concerning their new code 83 and 100 track. So, my previous info on Walthers producing only code 83 and smaller was incorrect. This ad shows code 100 #6 DCC friendly t/o's avail in June of 2020; today on Walthers website, the date is now Sept 2021. Also, looking at Model Railroader Magazine's ads only, I see Peco ads that indicate a catalog-I have never seen a catalog. Has anyone seen one? I have looked at the Peco website only to be totally confused. Has anyone else had such experience? Or am I still computer ignorant? Oh, the ad shown is from September 2019 issue of Model RR'r Page 3.
Thanks all.
bill m.

Sent: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 13:55:23 -0400 (EDT)

bill m.

Dave

Russ
--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Ric Case

I had three here at one time! I will look in my drawer to see if I still have a copy!
Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Apr 6, 2021, at 2:43 PM, cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com> wrote:

It is truly amazing what I find to spend time on....here is a full page ad by Walthers concerning their new code 83 and 100 track. So, my previous info on Walthers producing only code 83 and smaller was incorrect. This ad shows code 100 #6 DCC friendly t/o's avail in June of 2020; today on Walthers website, the date is now Sept 2021. Also, looking at Model Railroader Magazine's ads only, I see Peco ads that indicate a catalog-I have never seen a catalog. Has anyone seen one? I have looked at the Peco website only to be totally confused. Has anyone else had such experience? Or am I still computer ignorant? Oh, the ad shown is from September 2019 issue of Model RR'r Page 3.
Thanks all.
bill m.
Sent: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 13:55:23 -0400 (EDT)

bill m.

Dave

Russ
--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

<DSC05081.JPG>

Russ Norris

What I have been able to determine is that Shinohara closed down in 2018 when the owners of the company decided to retire.  There is still some Shinohara available if you search eBay and elsewhere, but it is quite limited if you are looking for a specific piece of track, gauge, etc.  Walthers still lists them in their online catalog, but everything on the list is out of stock -- and there is nothing in the pipeline.  There are some suppliers that make dual gauge track and switches, etc., like BK and ME, but nothing like the quantity and dependability of Shinohara (in my humble opinion).  I have a large dual gauge year on my railroad, all built with Shinohara track and switches.  But when something breaks -- as it did this week -- it is extremely hard to find what you need.  If you have a stack of Shinohara stuff, hold onto it. 

Russ

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 1:28 PM <Climax@...> wrote:
Dave

>
>
>
>Russ
>--
>Russ Norris, MMR
>Cape Cod, Massachusetts
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Climax@...

I didn't realize that Shinohara actually stopped.  I have used their code 70 track for as long as I can remember.  Back in he 1960's when I was in high school I thought myself as a purist and was actually laying my own rail and building all my own switches.  I still can.  In fact, on my last layout I built a HO/HOn3 gauge separation from the hard side with two frogs and no moving parts on a curve with an elevation change.  I could sling a Central Valley HO or HOn3 truck though it without even a bump, and they even stayed on the track.  If I have a special need now I will probably have to revert back to those techniques,
Dave

Sent: Apr 6, 2021 3:02 PM

What I have been able to determine is that Shinohara closed down in 2018 when the owners of the company decided to retire.  There is still some Shinohara available if you search eBay and elsewhere, but it is quite limited if you are looking for a specific piece of track, gauge, etc.  Walthers still lists them in their online catalog, but everything on the list is out of stock -- and there is nothing in the pipeline.  There are some suppliers that make dual gauge track and switches, etc., like BK and ME, but nothing like the quantity and dependability of Shinohara (in my humble opinion).  I have a large dual gauge year on my railroad, all built with Shinohara track and switches.  But when something breaks -- as it did this week -- it is extremely hard to find what you need.  If you have a stack of Shinohara stuff, hold onto it. 

Russ

Dave

>
>
>
>Russ
>--
>Russ Norris, MMR
>Cape Cod, Massachusetts
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Russ Norris

I know what you mean.  I have learned over the years how to build a switch (including a stub switch -- they're easy!) by hand.  I can use the jigs or lay them out on a drawing.  But I am intrinsically lazy -- if I can buy a switch that works, why waste all that time fussing with snipping, filing and soldering. 

Russ

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:26 PM <Climax@...> wrote:
I didn't realize that Shinohara actually stopped.  I have used their code 70 track for as long as I can remember.  Back in he 1960's when I was in high school I thought myself as a purist and was actually laying my own rail and building all my own switches.  I still can.  In fact, on my last layout I built a HO/HOn3 gauge separation from the hard side with two frogs and no moving parts on a curve with an elevation change.  I could sling a Central Valley HO or HOn3 truck though it without even a bump, and they even stayed on the track.  If I have a special need now I will probably have to revert back to those techniques,
Dave

Russ

Dave

>
>
>
>Russ
>--
>Russ Norris, MMR
>Cape Cod, Massachusetts
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Climax@...

There for a while I could nock out a switch in about 20 minutes. it might take longer today. hahahahaha
Dave

Sent: Apr 6, 2021 3:42 PM

I know what you mean.  I have learned over the years how to build a switch (including a stub switch -- they're easy!) by hand.  I can use the jigs or lay them out on a drawing.  But I am intrinsically lazy -- if I can buy a switch that works, why waste all that time fussing with snipping, filing and soldering. 

Russ

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:26 PM <Climax@...> wrote:
Dave

Russ

Dave

>
>
>
>Russ
>--
>Russ Norris, MMR
>Cape Cod, Massachusetts
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Bryian Sones

Last I heard as of late last year from several different sources equaling pretty much the same message.......

The Shinohara family decided to retire the business. Walther's whos premium track produced by Shinohara negotiated with the family to continue producing their track by another source.

It was last mentioned that an unnamed company was in negotiations with the family to purchase the rights, equipment etc. to continue producing the entire line. 

Were those negotiations are currently at I'm not sure. Of course it is quite possible the pandemic may or may not have effected negotiations.       

One of the sources this was mentioned was the Ken Patterson show. "What's Neat"

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific and D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 12:26:23 PM PDT, Climax@... <climax@...> wrote:

Dave

Russ

Dave

>
>
>
>Russ
>--
>Russ Norris, MMR
>Cape Cod, Massachusetts
>
>
>
>
>
>