Topics

Screw Size

Bruce

I just purchased a HON3 BRASS WMC WESTSIDE D&RGW 2-8-2 K-27 - SLIDE VALVE at an estate sale.  Looks to be in very good condition.  However, it is missing the drawbar post that screws into the bottom front of the tender.
I assume it uses a metric thread.  Does anyone know the screw thread used for this post?  Or have one I could buy?

Dale Buxton

Bruce, the draw bar post on these is 1.7mm thread. This thread size was pretty standard on Japanese made brass. Only the post length varied. Korea followed this same practice. Greenway Products probably has something you can use that will work.

Dale Buxton

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 2:37 PM Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:
I just purchased a HON3 BRASS WMC WESTSIDE D&RGW 2-8-2 K-27 - SLIDE VALVE at an estate sale.  Looks to be in very good condition.  However, it is missing the drawbar post that screws into the bottom front of the tender.
I assume it uses a metric thread.  Does anyone know the screw thread used for this post?  Or have one I could buy?

Dale Buxton

Bruce, Disregard my first post. It's a 2mm thread. Sorry about that. I went looking to see if I had any that might work for you and I discovered my mistake. I have a bunch of Wastside C-16 drawbar posts but, those are too short for your needs. I have been replacing my drawbar posts with home made shouldered screws for some years now so that I don't have to frustratingly fiddle with the drawbar coming undone when a tender goes off the rails.

I would check with NWSL as well as Greenway for these.

Dale Buxton

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 9:00 PM Dale Buxton via groups.io <dbtuathaddana=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bruce, the draw bar post on these is 1.7mm thread. This thread size was pretty standard on Japanese made brass. Only the post length varied. Korea followed this same practice. Greenway Products probably has something you can use that will work.

Dale Buxton

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 2:37 PM Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:
I just purchased a HON3 BRASS WMC WESTSIDE D&RGW 2-8-2 K-27 - SLIDE VALVE at an estate sale.  Looks to be in very good condition.  However, it is missing the drawbar post that screws into the bottom front of the tender.
I assume it uses a metric thread.  Does anyone know the screw thread used for this post?  Or have one I could buy?

Climax@...

Get a long 2mm screw and put a tube on it.

[...]

waynecohen49@...

American Scale Models (americanscalemodels.com) has them;
parts 9167 or 9167-2, depending on length.  You probably need the shorter one.

--
Wayne Cohen

Ric Case

I have one in my parts drawer let me know if you want it!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Aug 29, 2020, at 4:37 PM, Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:

<20200829_163317.jpg>
<20200829_163404.jpg>
I just purchased a HON3 BRASS WMC WESTSIDE D&RGW 2-8-2 K-27 - SLIDE VALVE at an estate sale.  Looks to be in very good condition.  However, it is missing the drawbar post that screws into the bottom front of the tender.
I assume it uses a metric thread.  Does anyone know the screw thread used for this post?  Or have one I could buy?

Bruce

Ric,

It would be great if you could mail it to me.

Thanks.

And much thanks to the others who responded.

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
19 Dayton Ave
Huron, Ohio 44839
419-602-3584
in2trains@...

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 12:48 AM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
I have one in my parts drawer let me know if you want it!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Aug 29, 2020, at 4:37 PM, Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:

<20200829_163317.jpg>
<20200829_163404.jpg>
I just purchased a HON3 BRASS WMC WESTSIDE D&RGW 2-8-2 K-27 - SLIDE VALVE at an estate sale.  Looks to be in very good condition.  However, it is missing the drawbar post that screws into the bottom front of the tender.
I assume it uses a metric thread.  Does anyone know the screw thread used for this post?  Or have one I could buy?

Bruce

Dale,

How about sharing a photo or two of your modified post.  Sounds like something I might want to do.

And again, thanks for sharing.

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584
in2trains@...

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020, 11:20 PM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
[...]

Sure Bruce, I''l do that tomorrow. This can be as simple or as complicated as you want. On the simple end, I just ream out a # 1 or # 2 machined brass washer until it slips over the end of the drawbar post and then I solder it in place.

  Then, sometimes I opt to lathe up a new post out of brass rod and thread it to 2mm and the other end has simply got a head like a flathead screw, I slot the head with a jewelers saw.

You can get the washers from Micro Mark of course in a package of 25 or you can go to J. I. Morris and get them in packages in multiples of 10s. I have found in the long run that it is far more economical to buy these from Morris. It seems like I always need more than 25. Either way you're still getting the Morris product.

I'll get on that photo tomorrow.

Dale Buxton

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 6:14 AM Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:
[...]

Russ Norris

I've been soldering a washer to the end of the tender post for years.  Just takes a few seconds and about the same if you need to separate locomotive and tender.

Russ

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020, 7:32 AM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
[...]

LARRY KLOSE

Along with many others, I use a short piece of shrink wrap or vinyl tubing on the end of the pin to keep the drawbar on. It allows separation when necessary but avoids undesired splits. Why make it permanent if there’s components that need servicing in the tender?

Larry

Larry Klose

Mark Kasprowicz

If you solder on a thin nut, with a smaller ID and drilled out to take the end of the post vinstead of a washer, you can undo it with a spinner without having to unsolder it.

Mark K
Oxon England

Bruce Bowie

Good ideas all around.  Thanks.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020, 10:54 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
If you solder on a thin nut, with a smaller ID and drilled out to take the end of the post vinstead of a washer, you can undo it with a spinner without having to unsolder it.

Mark K
Oxon England

Dale Buxton

Here  you go Bruce. The last photo is of a Westside C-16 tender with the modified post.

[...]

That's exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks so much.