here it is running track duty:

https://youtu.be/THvLhpoWEtc

a welcome addition to my roundhouse.
#3 PBR&N 2-6-6 Mason Bogie.
-Steve Hatch

Russ Norris

Really nice, Steve.  It runs beautifully and looks great too!  What a nice tribute to Paul Scoles.   Thanks for sharing.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, 10:58 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
  Before Paul Scoles died, he asked me if I was interested in his Mason Bogie #3.
I of course said yes and he sent it to me along with a note and a list of the various
things he had tried to get it to run.   I spent a couple years re-building certain frame
conundrums as well as the front bogie mount as well as re-gauging and more.
 Never the less I am happy to say that the little bogie is running just fine now
Dependable and actually quite robust in the amount of strength it has.

  I thought others might be interested to know that it is now running fine on my RR
here in Dewey and serves as a reminder of Pauls keen modeling and fine craftsmanship.

#3 PBR&N 2-6-6 Mason Bogie.
-Steve Hatch

Mark Kasprowicz

Very nicely done Steve.
Is this an Sn3 model? I ask because i've an HOn3 version, a Balboa, with 'running issues' and i wondered what you had to deo to get yours running so well.

Mark K
Oxon England.

Steve Hatch

Hi Mark
 Yes it is an Sn3 model.  It had several issues about the frame. I had to re-bend it in places to get all the
wheels (drivers and tender truck) to sit on the rail at the same time. I don't know if that will be the case with
your HOn3 model but I would definitely check that.
 Also I had to modify the frame to allow free'er swivel in the motor/bogie assembly.  Things were simply
in the way for the model to swing side to side in the frame mount as well as up and down. They have to
pivot forward and back to keep the wheels on the track.  Then I put wipers on the drivers
and the 6 wheel truck for pickup.  Wasn't much room under there but the wipers made a huge difference
in the operation.  We all know that all wheel pickup is the only way to get dependable performance.
 Blackstone showed us that.  A few other "modifications" but they were unique to this model so
I doubt you'll have them on yours.   Good luck with it Mark.  They are fun little engines when they work.
-Steve Hatch

Mark Kasprowicz

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the guidance. The motor/ bogie assembly is certainly limited in the way that it can swing and I shall take a look at increasing that. I haven't yet added extra pickups but that is certainly on the cards together with a stay alive once it gets DCC fitted. But it has to walk before it can run and I've not tried putting it on a sheet of glass to see if the drivers are indeed level and the frame is true. So that I think is going to be the next step.
I agree they're fun engines and although they would never have travelled anywhere the RGS/ D&RGW which I follow I also have some SPNG locos which I run occasionally. I never thought I'd see one of those on CO tracks but look what happened on the D&S recently!

Mark K
Oxon England.

Steve Hatch

Hi Mark
With this Bogie, I took it apart and started by making the geared driver and frame and
swing mount work all together.  Then as I added drivers and side rods I could see the
parts that weren't lining up properly.  So I would tweek or carve or mill as needed so everything
sat flat and turned free as I added them.
    But the biggest thing was getting the frame flat so that the bogie could swing up and down
and side to side just a bit.  That made a big difference.  That's when it started coming together
Good luck and try to enjoy it.  It feels very very good when it finally strts to work.
Very satisfying.   Oh also make sure the drivers are all quartered. I had one out just a bit
that caused a lope.
-Steve

-