Topics

Running DC on a DCC Layout

Russ Norris

Some of you know that I have a standard (HO) gauge loop that runs in the background behind my EBT narrow gauge railroad.  It is a kind of moving backdrop that connects with the dual gauge yard in the fictional town of Blacklog.  I had an HO gauge Bowser GP-7 with sound pulling a long line of coal hoppers continuously while the real action is in the foreground with my EBT operation.  Well, the GP-7 gave up the ghost this week, and my work bench is already full of bad order equipment I am working on.  In the meantime I wondered how I could run the standard gauge train without a working locomotive.  Then I remembered all those old DC engines in a display case on the wall.  They were beautiful but hadn't been run in maybe 15 years.  But what the heck!  I disconnected the loop, which runs on its own power circuit, and connected it to an old MRC power pack.  Sadly, not all my old DC engines were up to the job, but a pair of Kato RS-3s revved right up with incredible pulling power.  I even played with MU-ing the RS-3s just for fun,  Here are links for some videos I posted on You Tube showing the two engines working in and around the town of Blacklog on my layout.

https://youtu.be/8eDPJd1YEKQ

https://youtu.be/7PArcIIEQrU

https://youtu.be/iLiAyMl1SOE

https://youtu.be/4E2OJnkIJ34

I was so pleased with the look of these two early diesels I am thinking of adding decoders and running them as a regular consist.  Not sure if there is enough room inside of them for a sound decoder and speaker, but a small mobile decoder should fit.

Paul Sturtz

Those RS-3s look a lot like RS-1s.  Smooth runners for sure.

Climax@...

That's why they are designated RS......Real Smooth!

Those RS-3s look a lot like RS-1s.  Smooth runners for sure.

Russ Norris

You may be right, Paul.  I bought them so many years ago, I can't be sure.  Is there a quick way to distinguish

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 10:40 AM Paul Sturtz <apa_208@...> wrote:
Those RS-3s look a lot like RS-1s.  Smooth runners for sure.

Did a Google search and I believe my RS-3's may actually be RS-1's.  I like 'em anyway.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 12:15 PM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
You may be right, Paul.  I bought them so many years ago, I can't be sure.  Is there a quick way to distinguish

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 10:40 AM Paul Sturtz <apa_208@...> wrote:
Those RS-3s look a lot like RS-1s.  Smooth runners for sure.

Doug Cummings

The RS1 and RS3 are so vastly different in appearance there should be no way to get them confused,

Did a Google search and I believe my RS-3's may actually be RS-1's.  I like 'em anyway.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 12:15 PM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
You may be right, Paul.  I bought them so many years ago, I can't be sure.  Is there a quick way to distinguish

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 10:40 AM Paul Sturtz <apa_208@...> wrote:
Those RS-3s look a lot like RS-1s.  Smooth runners for sure.

And for that reason I believe my RS-3s are RS1s.  Thanks.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 5:38 PM Doug Cummings <dougcummings@...> wrote:
The RS1 and RS3 are so vastly different in appearance there should be no way to get them confused,

Did a Google search and I believe my RS-3's may actually be RS-1's.  I like 'em anyway.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 12:15 PM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
You may be right, Paul.  I bought them so many years ago, I can't be sure.  Is there a quick way to distinguish

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 10:40 AM Paul Sturtz <apa_208@...> wrote:
Those RS-3s look a lot like RS-1s.  Smooth runners for sure.

Steve Hatch

Yes they are RS-1's  The hood on the cab and the square corners
-Steve Hatch

Russ Norris

And very appropriate for 1950, the era I model!  To be honest, I just like the look of them -- very early steam to diesel transition.  I understand they used to smoke like a steam engine

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019, 7:53 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
Yes they are RS-1's  The hood on the cab and the square corners
-Steve Hatch

Dave Trimble

Here’s pictures of RS-1

And RS-3:

And, for completeness, RS-2

Supposedly the 2 and 3 were nearly identical and more angular than the 1.

They built 1418 RS-3, 377 RS-2 and 469 RS-1.

Clearly the RS-3 was the most successful.

You can read about them all and their differences in Wikipedia areticals.

Thanks Dave.  The pix of the RS-2 came through fine but the links to the RS-1 and RS-3 were missing.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 1:32 AM Dave Trimble <dtrimble@...> wrote:
Here’s pictures of RS-1

And RS-3:

And, for completeness, RS-2

Supposedly the 2 and 3 were nearly identical and more angular than the 1.

They built 1418 RS-3, 377 RS-2 and 469 RS-1.

Clearly the RS-3 was the most successful.

You can read about them all and their differences in Wikipedia areticals.

Dave Trimble

Just search for RS-1, RS-2, Ottawa RS-3 locomotive. I then Went to Wikipedia.

Dave

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 6:51 AM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
Thanks Dave.  The pix of the RS-2 came through fine but the links to the RS-1 and RS-3 were missing.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 1:32 AM Dave Trimble <dtrimble@...> wrote:
Here’s pictures of RS-1

And RS-3:

And, for completeness, RS-2

Supposedly the 2 and 3 were nearly identical and more angular than the 1.

They built 1418 RS-3, 377 RS-2 and 469 RS-1.

Clearly the RS-3 was the most successful.

You can read about them all and their differences in Wikipedia areticals.

Dave Trimble

FYI, Atlas did market all three. RS locos.

Dave