Topics

Rivarossi Heisler kitbash??

Brian Kopp

A random mental exercise.....

I was looking at an HO Rivarossi 2-truck Heisler on ebay and wondering if anyone has kitbashed one for HOn3. (Sort of like NWSL did for the HO Bachmann Shay) With the inline drive train I was wondering if MDC shay trucks might work, but with the Heisler spoked wheels. The Heisler individual truck connecting rods would probably need replacing for the different wheelbase but the spoked wheels might transfer. I think the Rivarossi model is about 10 tons bigger than the biggest 36" Heisler ever built so it wouldn't be a very prototypical kitbash.

Just wondering if it sounds like a plausible, semi in-expensive build and what the issues might be, OR if anybody has already tried it......

BTW, I am not planning on taking this project idea on any time soon, thus the "mental exercise" opening.... =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

kevin b

[...]
_._,_._,_
about a year, maybe 2? ago, i bought a box-o-stuff and in it were most of 2 of those heislers.
at the time i was after something else in the box and paid little attention to the heislers.
now that you've brought this up, as soon as i get the chance, i'll see if i can't dig 'em up and study the situation.
for what it's worth, i'll let you know what i think about it all.
Kevin.

Climax@...

Brian
The older Rivarossi Heisler motors were a strange DC motor and I am not sure if they are compatible with DCC.  I have a couple of the older Heislers.  Right now Hornby makes a nice HO Heisler with DCC/Sound. Lights and it runs great.  It also has spoked wheels.  Just some thoughts.

[...]

claneon30

This is the early 2000 Rivarossi tool with some upgrades to details and the DCC. Those are fine models.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

On Nov 18, 2020, at 6:53 AM, Climax@... <Climax@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the comments guys! Kevin any post-survey thoughts you have would be great too....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

kevin b

I was looking at an HO Rivarossi 2-truck Heisler on ebay and wondering if anyone has kitbashed one for HOn3. (Sort of like NWSL did for the HO Bachmann Shay) With the inline drive train I was wondering if MDC shay trucks might work, but with the Heisler spoked wheels. The Heisler individual truck connecting rods would probably need replacing for the different wheelbase but the spoked wheels might transfer. I think the Rivarossi model is about 10 tons bigger than the biggest 36" Heisler ever built so it wouldn't be a very prototypical kitbash.
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Hello Brian, all.

turns out i can be of no help at this time.
i did find the heisler "parts" however, no trucks in the box.
dag nabbit!

i will keep me eyes open though.
Kevin.

Brian

There is an online video review of the Hornby/Rivarossi 2-truck Heisler.  Google "Hornby HO Heisler Locomotive".  Hornby supplied a traction tire equipped wheel set, and the reviewer does an instillation, providing a fair view of the truck's internals.

If you do try a conversion using the MDC parts available from Wiseman,  follow the Heisler/Rivarossi approach, and use only one geared axle, with the other driven by side rods via well quartered crank pins.  Attempting to use two geared axles will require that the quartering also be consistent with respect to the worm gears, and that the the worms be consistent with respect to axle spacing - which will be far more difficult to achieve.

Having once seriously contemplated building an HOn3 version of the 3-truck Rivarossi Heisler, I will note that most of the larger narrow gauge ones used outside framed trucks with disc cranks for the side rods.  If you don't have the late Ben Kline's book on Heisler Locomotives, get it.

John Stutz

Brian Kopp

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM, John Stutz wrote:
Hornby HO Heisler Locomotive
Thanks John. I like your idea for the mod using only one truck axle (just like the prototype). Nice little MRR video too!

Brian

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Climax@...

I purchased one of the Hornby HO Heislers about 2 or 3 years ago and it has been working just fine.  the only problem I did have is when it was sitting on a switch and a wheel shorted.  the spokes are made of plastic, so at first I thought it released the smoke signal of death.  Nope, it was just the plastic.  I got a new wheel set and changed it out and it was back to normal again.  This is much better than the Bachmann Spectrum 3 truck shays and Climax's that have died after only an hours use.  I am making inquiries with NWSL to see if they still have the gear change out kits available for the Climax's and maybe Shays.  Right now they are expensive scenery.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM, John Stutz wrote:
Hornby HO Heisler Locomotive
Thanks John. I like your idea for the mod using only one truck axle (just like the prototype). Nice little MRR video too!

Brian

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

lloyd lehrer

before Dave Rygmr sold the company, I had sent my climax in for them to experiment with for new gears in the trucks. they tried a few arrangements and decided it would not work.
lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 6:15 PM <Climax@...> wrote:
[...]

Ric Case

Ok

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Nov 18, 2020, at 8:23 PM, Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM, John Stutz wrote:
Hornby HO Heisler Locomotive
Thanks John. I like your idea for the mod using only one truck axle (just like the prototype). Nice little MRR video too!

Brian

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Ric Case

Was going to try to mill the truck casting a turn the axels years ago but lost access to a unimat!
Never did find one to buy at a reasonable price! Now retired and funds are even tighter! 😂

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694