Topics

Remembering Frank Kappler

asandrini

I was working on a structure this afternoon, when I needed a few pieces of 4x6.  I went to my Kappler Lumber Yard, and fondly thought of a good friend from over 40 years ago.

Frank Kappler lived in Santa Barbars and I would run into him at Daylight Division meets, NMRA conventions, etc. We became good friends.

In my hobby shop, I stocked Kappler lumber, which I purchased in bulk.  He had a female employee (cannot remember her name, Susan, Sharon, seems like something starting with an S) whose mother lived in Bakersfield. She would drive over to visit her mom and deliver the wood.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space.  One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material. I sold material to customers by the piece from 1968 through 2006, when I retired.

Today, my Kappler Lumber Yard is fully stocked and one foot to the right of my workbenches. I order lumber in bulk (50 pieces at a time) so I never run short during construction.

One thing that Frank shared with me was his idea of a fold-up structure.  He was going to provide structures with the walls pre cut and you folded the walls together like a paper cut out structure. You glued an inside corner post to secure the corners, then topped with a pre-cut roof.   Unfortunately, Frank passed soon after showing me his design.

The model railroad community lost a great mind and a fine gentleman that day.

I wonder how many if his lumber yard boxes are still in use today.

Al Sandrini
Big Al  from  Cal
Bakersfield, Ca

kevin b

any chance you'd post a photo or two of that box?
i'd like a shot at making one as my lumber yard is in tubes and scattered to the winds etc.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space. One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material.

thanks.
Kevin.

asandrini

I have been asked to post a couple of pictures of my Kappler Lumber Company lumber yard.

Photos attached.

Al

any chance you'd post a photo or two of that box?
i'd like a shot at making one as my lumber yard is in tubes and scattered to the winds etc.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space. One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material.

thanks.
Kevin.

asandrini

Sorry, fat fingers hit the sent button and not the attach button.

Photos attached this time.
Al

I have been asked to post a couple of pictures of my Kappler Lumber Company lumber yard.

Photos attached.

Al

any chance you'd post a photo or two of that box?
i'd like a shot at making one as my lumber yard is in tubes and scattered to the winds etc.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space. One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material.

thanks.
Kevin.

Bill Lugg

So, if I understand the cabinet correctly, it's a little over 12" wide and the drawers are deep enough to hold all the sizes for a given thickness of lumber, right?

A brilliant design!

Bill Lugg

On 1/25/20 9:26 PM, asandrini wrote:
[...]

Cabinet is 28" wide, to hold 24" long pieces of scale lumber.  Cabinet is about 7" high and 11" deep.

As I also use scale plastic strips as well, I keep a few sticks of plastic in the dividers with the wood. I would be lost without the ease of grabbing the correct size pieces instantly.

Al

So, if I understand the cabinet correctly, it's a little over 12" wide
and the drawers are deep enough to hold all the sizes for a given
thickness of lumber, right?

A brilliant design!

Bill Lugg

On 1/25/20 9:26 PM, asandrini wrote:
> Sorry, fat fingers hit the sent button and not the attach button.
>
> Photos attached this time.
> Al
>

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

tonyk537

Nice cabinet.  I had seen a similar one in a hobby shop and always planned to build a similar one.
Then I ran into a blueprint cabinet at a swap meet and lined it with cardboard sheetrock shims for dividers.
They are 41" deep and 53' wide so the lumber goes the other way.

kevin b

Cabinet is 28" wide, to hold 24" long pieces of scale lumber. Cabinet is about 7" high and 11" deep.
As I also use scale plastic strips as well, I keep a few sticks of plastic in the dividers with the wood. I would be lost without the ease of grabbing the correct size pieces instantly.
Al

thanks for the photos and the dimensions.
i'll be making one of these asap.

thanks again.
Kevin.

john_vivian

Hi Al and others:

I also have one of Franks Lumber yards.  Got mine from a former hobby wholesale rep.  He was liquidating a multi year collection due to advancing age and failing health. Acquired some interesting relics along with Lumber Yard. I, like you, have it right next to my work area.  Unfortunately getting more difficult to buy scale lumber in bulk.
Best; John Vivian

asandrini

John,

I still purchase in bulk from Mt. Albert Scale Lumber.  Bit pricey,  compaired to my old wholesale cost.  I had pencil marked the prices, next to the sizes on the side of the drawer. The price per stick today is 10 times higher than when I retired 13 years ago.

Before I got into the hobby business, I was a teaching golf professional. In 1968, we sold Titleist golf ball for about 2.25 for a sleeve of 3 balls. Today, they sell for around 16.00 for three balls. A driver, 3 wood and a 4 wood were 125.00 and today. The latest TaylorMade driver is 599.95. A United Santa Fe 2-8-0 originally detailed for something like 49.95; while used ones of the same vantage today sell for 250.00 and up.

I love my box, as I am sure you love yours.  Keeps the strips clean. Organized and from being broken.

Al

I also have one of Franks Lumber yards.  Got mine from a former hobby wholesale rep.  He was liquidating a multi year collection due to advancing age and failing health. Acquired some interesting relics along with Lumber Yard. I, like you, have it right next to my work area.  Unfortunately getting more difficult to buy scale lumber in bulk.
Best; John Vivian

Dale Buxton

While searching this weekend,  for some 6x9's in my mostly Kappler scale lumber. I found some of his specialty items that I've never used but bought because of how unique they were even way back when. Frank made pre-taped individual shingle strips or a a whole sheet of individual shingles in O scale. He also had pre-built ladders in O and HO scales and pallets as well. He was also the one that designed the jigs for the Durango Press water tank tubs in O and HO scales, so you would have a pre-built water tub with a perfect tapper. He truly was the "Wizard of Wood!"

D. Buxton

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 12:48 PM asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:
[...]

Climax@...

I found a lazer wiid court and showed them the pictures.  He Told me to draw it up and he could give an estimate for cost.  Maybe he can make a kit for us

any chance you'd post a photo or two of that box?
i'd like a shot at making one as my lumber yard is in tubes and scattered to the winds etc.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space. One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material.

thanks.
Kevin.

John

I'd buy one
John Peckham

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 2:26 PM, Climax@...
<Climax@...> wrote:

I found a lazer wiid court and showed them the pictures.  He Told me to draw it up and he could give an estimate for cost.  Maybe he can make a kit for us
any chance you'd post a photo or two of that box?
i'd like a shot at making one as my lumber yard is in tubes and scattered to the winds etc.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space. One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material.

thanks.
Kevin.

Jeff Young

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 03:02 PM, John wrote:
I'd buy one
As would I....

Joe Ferguson

I would buy one as well.

Joe

Joe B. Ferguson
 _._,_._,_

Stephen Silver

Me too

<Climax@...> wrote:

I found a lazer wiid court and showed them the pictures.  He Told me to draw it up and he could give an estimate for cost.  Maybe he can make a kit for us
any chance you'd post a photo or two of that box?
i'd like a shot at making one as my lumber yard is in tubes and scattered to the winds etc.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space. One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material.

thanks.
Kevin.

asandrini

Oh, oh.  Looks like I started something.

Al

I found a lazer wiid court and showed them the pictures.  He Told me to draw it up and he could give an estimate for cost.  Maybe he can make a kit for us
any chance you'd post a photo or two of that box?
i'd like a shot at making one as my lumber yard is in tubes and scattered to the winds etc.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space. One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material.

thanks.
Kevin.

Steen Mortensen

Looks like I aught to build one withdraw those great prices!  Thanks!!

Steen

On Jan 25, 2020, at 10:28 PM, asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:

Sorry, fat fingers hit the sent button and not the attach button.

Photos attached this time.
Al

I have been asked to post a couple of pictures of my Kappler Lumber Company lumber yard.

Photos attached.

Al

any chance you'd post a photo or two of that box?
i'd like a shot at making one as my lumber yard is in tubes and scattered to the winds etc.

I had saved mailing tubes to store the lumber, and labeled the tubes with the sizes. It was a mess and took up a lot of space. One day Frank walked into my shop and presented me with 7x8x28 inch, 7 drawer box. The drawers had dividers to hold HO scale 1x2's through 12x12's, plus two bottom drawers to hold his siding material.

thanks.
Kevin.
<20200125_201823.jpg>
<20200125_201812.jpg>
<20200125_201854.jpg>
<20200125_201939.jpg>

Steen Mortensen

“ ... thanks to those great pictures ...! “
Steen

On Jan 26, 2020, at 10:41 PM, Steen Mortensen <steenerik@...> wrote:

[...]

John Hutnick

If this particular wood storage cabinet is so good, who can we get to make us a laser cut plywood kit to build it?
Can anyone measure theirs and post sketches of the outer cabinet and drawer dimensions?