Topics

PSC K-37 versus Division Point K-37

Robert Veefkind

If any of you are lucky enough to have one (or more) of these fine locomotives do you have any notable differences ? That is details-paint jobs and most of all ease of adding sound ? I have the PSC K-37 model and it is a beauty and was fairly easy to add sound.  no I didn't hit the lotto     Bob Veefkind

jczul36

Bob, I do like the model, but (here it comes) my biggest complaint is the undersized wheels in the tender.  The wheels should be 26”, but the model came with 24” wheels.  I changed them on a buddies model and the changed was Significant.
jc

On Jun 30, 2020, at 8:08 AM, Robert Veefkind via groups.io <snookdust@...> wrote:

If any of you are lucky enough to have one (or more) of these fine locomotives do you have any notable differences ? That is details-paint jobs and most of all ease of adding sound ? I have the PSC K-37 model and it is a beauty and was fairly easy to add sound.  no I didn't hit the lotto     Bob Veefkind

wtmiv

Which one has the undersized wheels on the tender— PSC or Division Point?
thanks.
Bill M.

jczul36

PSC

On Jun 30, 2020, at 9:33 AM, wtmiv <kb466@...> wrote:

Which one has the undersized wheels on the tender— PSC or Division Point?
thanks.
Bill M.

Mark Kasprowicz

Well Bob, the main difference was that I was able to buy three of the last run of PSC 37's for the same price as my friend paid for his one DP. They're great lookers. I hadn't noticed the tender wheels!

No lottery but I sold ALL my other RR stuff apart from the HOn3 stuff ( as well as my Fender Precision Bass)

Mark K
Oxon England.

Mick Moignard

I have both PSC (2002 run) and DP K-36 models.  There are good and bad points in both.  Both run well, the DP is noisier out of the box than the PSC but PSC ones usually take some tinkering to deal with shorts. The PSC is I think more accurate in detail.  It’s also much cheaper, if you can find one.

I also have PSC K37s, and they’re also fine models. I have seen photos of the DP 37s, and notice that the DP model of 492 has entirely the wrong tender (PSC got the 492 tender right).  DP also missed the weld marks on the K36 tender where the side raves were extended.  These issues lead me to wonder what else is not quite right.

One issue with the PSC 37 is that it has plated brass wheel tyres which will wear. The PSC 36 has stainless steel.  My DP locos have some sort of steel tyre, but one that doesn’t stay as clean as the PSC ones.

So, my recommendation is the PSC model, if you can find one.  As Mark says, you used to be able to buy nearly 3 PSCs for the cost of one DP.  Note too that the Overland K36 of around 1990 is essentially the same model as the PSC 2002 K36.

Mick

Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.