Precision Scale WSLC Heisler

Jim Rohman

Hey Everybody. Need your thoughts. I have a Precision Scale HOn3 WSLC Heisler #2 with a cracked universal cup. Precision Scale doesn't have any parts and NWSL has no couplings small enough. Any ideas on where I might look for a part or a possible fix. The coupling is some type of plastic. Here are some approximate measurements
Hole for shaft  1.45mm
Inside cup diameter  2 mm
Outside cup diameter  3.15 mm
Length  4.5 mm

NWSL recommended discarding the original drive system and rebuilding with their universal drives but I'd like to see if there is another alternative. Not sure the NWSL would be small enough.
I am not a mechanical expert but would like to see if I could possibly fix this guy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Mike Chamberlain

Would surgical tubing work ?      Mike

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 12:05 PM Jim Rohman <rohman@...> wrote:
Hey Everybody. Need your thoughts. I have a Precision Scale HOn3 WSLC Heisler #2 with a cracked universal cup. Precision Scale doesn't have any parts and NWSL has no couplings small enough. Any ideas on where I might look for a part or a possible fix. The coupling is some type of plastic. Here are some approximate measurements
Hole for shaft  1.45mm
Inside cup diameter  2 mm
Outside cup diameter  3.15 mm
Length  4.5 mm

NWSL recommended discarding the original drive system and rebuilding with their universal drives but I'd like to see if there is another alternative. Not sure the NWSL would be small enough.
I am not a mechanical expert but would like to see if I could possibly fix this guy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Rohman

Thanks Mike
I had been thinking that’s a possibility . Looking for any other ideas.
Since the truck would have to pivot I’m not sure it will work.

John Stutz

Jim

This is a trivial turning.  What  is the slot width and depth?  And your address.

John Stutz

On July 12, 2021 9:05 AM Jim Rohman <rohman@...> wrote:

Hey Everybody. Need your thoughts. I have a Precision Scale HOn3 WSLC Heisler #2 with a cracked universal cup. Precision Scale doesn't have any parts and NWSL has no couplings small enough. Any ideas on where I might look for a part or a possible fix. The coupling is some type of plastic. Here are some approximate measurements
Hole for shaft  1.45mm
Inside cup diameter  2 mm
Outside cup diameter  3.15 mm
Length  4.5 mm

NWSL recommended discarding the original drive system and rebuilding with their universal drives but I'd like to see if there is another alternative. Not sure the NWSL would be small enough.
I am not a mechanical expert but would like to see if I could possibly fix this guy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

kevin b

in the past, i have used fuel hose off small 2 cycle engines for drive shatfs in locomotives.
it should be flexible enough to use in place of your universal.
you might even go to some hobby shop what sells radio control airplanes and see if they have any small diameter fuel line tubing etc.

a few minutes of time and effort, a dollar for the gas line.... if it works,
sweet.
if not, you're not really out anything.
good luck.
Kevin.

Hey Everybody. Need your thoughts. I have a Precision Scale HOn3 WSLC Heisler #2 with a cracked universal cup. Precision Scale doesn't have any parts and NWSL has no couplings small enough. Any ideas on where I might look for a part or a possible fix. The coupling is some type of plastic. Here are some approximate measurements
Hole for shaft  1.45mm
Inside cup diameter  2 mm
Outside cup diameter  3.15 mm
Length  4.5 mm

NWSL recommended discarding the original drive system and rebuilding with their universal drives but I'd like to see if there is another alternative. Not sure the NWSL would be small enough.
I am not a mechanical expert but would like to see if I could possibly fix this guy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Rohman

Hi John

Turning a new part sounds like the best option.

The slot width is 1.2mm and the depth is 2mm as is the inside depth of the cup. What material would you use?

My address is
Jim Rohman
7339 Crosscut Rd.
Holland, Ohio 43528

I would gladly pay you for your help and shipping. I've attached photos of the front truck that is still installed and the rear area where the split cup and truck is removed as well as an overall of the bottom of the loco.
It's a tight fit.

Dale Buxton

Jim,
You timimg is perfect! There are a pair of the original design of the old Westside Models power trucks for this Heisler up for sale on Ebay right now. You might want to take a look at them.

The helical gears are 1:1. All of the gear reduction was done at the gearbox attached to the motor. The NWSL universal cup and dog-bone will probably work easier with this power truck.

Dale Buxton

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 10:05 AM Jim Rohman <rohman@...> wrote:
Hey Everybody. Need your thoughts. I have a Precision Scale HOn3 WSLC Heisler #2 with a cracked universal cup. Precision Scale doesn't have any parts and NWSL has no couplings small enough. Any ideas on where I might look for a part or a possible fix. The coupling is some type of plastic. Here are some approximate measurements
Hole for shaft  1.45mm
Inside cup diameter  2 mm
Outside cup diameter  3.15 mm
Length  4.5 mm

NWSL recommended discarding the original drive system and rebuilding with their universal drives but I'd like to see if there is another alternative. Not sure the NWSL would be small enough.
I am not a mechanical expert but would like to see if I could possibly fix this guy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Mick Moignard

I have one just like that and I sleeved the split cup with a slice of brass  tube. Took about a minute and works just fine. In the photo it’s the cup immediately on front of the engine.

Loco now has 8 wheel pickup, lights, sound.  This is the silver box PSC 15142, btw.

Mick

______________________________________
Mick Moignard
mick@...
p:+44 7774 652504
skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M, T, but it always ends WTF!

Alan Kilby

I had a bad cup on this same loco and driveline fell out somewhere on floor at club layout between track and putting in box.
I made new driveline using NWSL universal cup and ball sets(487-6?)and 1.5 mm shaft.Measire gearbox and and truck shaft to get the right size cup,its been 20+ years since I did this and dont remember those shaft sizes.You have original driveshaft which will make it much easier to make than mine.The NWSL cups are a larger od dia.if I didn't know they'd been replaced I probably wouldn't notice.By placing shaft in drill and using file same distance as between balls I filed new shafting to match diameter of the original drive shaft,then cut to length and installed horned balls.
Alan

Jim Rohman

Hi Dale

Thanks for the heads up.

Jim

Jim Rohman

Hi Mick

Thanks for the great idea. I'm going to give that a try.

Jim

Jim Rohman

Thanks for the reply Alan

I'm going to try to sleeve the cracked cup with brass tubing first.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Keith Wiseman

Jim,

I have all the left over parts from the last run on PSC heislers. Is yours in a Orange or Silver box as the Silver would be the late eighties version.   All My parts are from the Orange box version. Saw your picture and will see if I have anything similar. Let Me know which version for sure as the fellow whou bought all of PSC's Import parts inventory will be here to visit in a few minutes.

Keith

Jim Rohman

Hello again

I’m trying the sleeving. I haven’t been able to get a real tight fit with the 1/8 sleeve. Don’t know if I should add some silicone or squeeze the sleeve together a bit. I would think the Sleeve (tube) should be a tight fit. I’ve found I have 3 cracked cups in the line plus there is a special plastic cup that comes off the gear box and mates directly with a brass cup with no dog bone. This special plastic cup looks to be cracked also. I’ve got myself quite a little mess to fix.

NWSL recommended using their 487-6 U joint set. My shaft size is 1.45mm and their U joint kit is made for 1.5mm shafting. It might work.  I may give that a try if the sleeving fails. It won’t help with the special cup that mates with the brass cup but I’ll see what happens.

Thanks everyone again for following along. I’m a novice at trying something like this, another-words, I don’t know what I’m doing, but I hope to learn something and get lucky and actually fix this guy. Any ideas you may think of I’d appreciate.

Below is a picture of the special cup highlighted.

Thanks for your help, Jim

Jim

On a 3 .14mm OD socket, a nominally 1/8" ID K&S brass tube will need some shimming to get a tight fit.

A light hard paper should suffice.  Cut the paper just long enough to go once, or as many times as needed, around the socket.  Cut the width equal to sleeve plus socket lengths. Cut a small taper inside the sleeve's leading edge and outside the socket's leading edge.  Clean socket and sleeve with alcohol to remove any oil.  Roll the paper so it fits tightly into the sleeve, start the socket into the paper tube, press together, and trim off excess paper.  It may take several tries to get a fit that firmly closes the cracked socket.  When done, hit the paper edges all around with water weight ACC to fix all together.

John Stutz

On July 15, 2021 9:13 AM Jim Rohman <rohman@...> wrote:

[...]

Climax@...

Better yet.  Just take the paper and lay it over the sleeve.  Take the cracked part and put it on top the paper and push it down into the sleeve.  The paper will give way and take the new new form between the cracked part and sleeve.  Kind of like putting an insulated tire on a wheel.

[...]

Thanks John. I'll give it a try. Not sure what water weight Means for acc. Is it acc activated by water?

Thanks again, Jim

Jim Rohman

Thanks Climax  That does sound easy.

Jim

Jim Rohman

My Heisler didn't have the original box. It has a name plate on the frame saying Made in Japan. I'm guessing it's the early model.