From: "Clifford Mestel via Groups.Io" <troutckeng@...>
Date: 9/20/19 8:04 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] Passenger Car Windows

What is the best method for securing the passenger car windows to the wood of the car?

Cliff Mestel_,_._,_

Jeff Young

I use Pacer’s “Formula 560” canopy glue.  (Given the duplication of “56”, I wonder if they’re the same stuff under different brands?)

On 21 Sep 2019, at 04:49, asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:

Cliff,

Use an R/C plane item called RC56, or Formula 56 (old name,  new name). It is canopy glue and sticks to plastic and dries transparent clear. Works better than Micro Scale's product.

Al

What is the best method for securing the passenger car windows to the wood of the car?

Cliff Mestel_,_._,_

Mark Lewis

Cliff:

I use Aleene's Tacky Glue.
It is a craft glue, available at craft stores, Walmart, etc.
I use it to attach clear plastic and real glass windows, into wooden or plastic window frames.
It is tacky and dried clear.

Mark Lewis
narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019, 5:17 AM Jeff Young <jeff@...> wrote:
I use Pacer’s “Formula 560” canopy glue.  (Given the duplication of “56”, I wonder if they’re the same stuff under different brands?)

On 21 Sep 2019, at 04:49, asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:

Cliff,

Use an R/C plane item called RC56, or Formula 56 (old name,  new name). It is canopy glue and sticks to plastic and dries transparent clear. Works better than Micro Scale's product.

Al

What is the best method for securing the passenger car windows to the wood of the car?

Cliff Mestel_,_._,_

Russ Norris

I second that suggestion.  I have used Canopy glue from my LHS for years and it is great for many adhesive applications including windows.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019, 11:49 PM asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:
Cliff,

Use an R/C plane item called RC56, or Formula 56 (old name,  new name). It is canopy glue and sticks to plastic and dries transparent clear. Works better than Micro Scale's product.

Al

What is the best method for securing the passenger car windows to the wood of the car?

Cliff Mestel_,_._,_

Climax@...

Cliff
Since the mid 1980's I have been using Sierra Scale Models scale glass, which is real glass, in both passenger car windows and in structures.  Not only is it clear and does not distort the images but its easy to clean with a swab and some Windex.  Back in the 1980's I built a 6 car Labelle train 1800's passenger train with full interiors.  I wanted people to see them through the windows as well as removable roofs.  I used the thin glass on the inside of the window openings and then built up the wood walls to the windows, and even glued the glass cross pieces directly to the glass.  I though it turned out great so I took it to a Sunshine NMRA Region convention contest and took 1st, 2ed, and 3rd.  They still look as good today.  I used Grandt line seats and parts inside the cars as well.  The wanescotting was done with the cedar shingle material SSM sells too.  I never did like that Microscale window making liquid as it fogged, distorted, and never was very clear.  The glass was easy to cut with a General 88CM carbide tip scriber.  Once you get the hang of it your glass loss is down to about 10% but you get over 50 sheets per box of glass.
Dave
MMR#200

What is the best method for securing the passenger car windows to the wood of the car?

Cliff Mestel_,_._,_

Climax@...

I forgot to mention that I layered my glass in place with the wood frames around it and my glue was either white glue or Arlean's.  On structures I glue my real glass windows in place using arlean's and fold the glue over at the corners like those corner pockets in a picture album.  Never had a problem as it allows the wood to shrink or expand with humidity or temperature changes while the windows are not affected with those problems.

What is the best method for securing the passenger car windows to the wood of the car?

Cliff Mestel_,_._,_

Ric Case

Walthers goo has always been my favorite thing!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Sep 20, 2019, at 11:49 PM, asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:

Cliff,

Use an R/C plane item called RC56, or Formula 56 (old name,  new name). It is canopy glue and sticks to plastic and dries transparent clear. Works better than Micro Scale's product.

Al

What is the best method for securing the passenger car windows to the wood of the car?

Cliff Mestel_,_._,_

Climax@...

Melted rubber bands?