Topics

Painting HOn3 Labelle Wood Kits

Randy

Looking for info and suggestions for painting Labelle HOn3 wood kits

Randy J

Dale Buxton

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 17:43 Randy <rdj_smj@...> wrote:

Looking for info and suggestions for painting Labelle HOn3 wood kits

Randy J

_.

Randy,

Pretty much all model paints today (save for Accu-Paint and Scale Coat) are some form of water based acrylic, enamel or urethane enamels. For all water or based acrylics or enamels, you should prime the wood parts with a solvent based spray on primer. Like Krylon Primer and Paint in white or primer gray. This is the primer method Banta Model Works and Raggs to Riches suggest. It works nicely from my experience. It seals the wood and prevents the wood from warping from the water based paints as they cure. Spray all wood parts to be painted prior to assembly and let dry at least 2 days before beginning construction. For final coatings I use mostly Vallejo Model Colours these days. The are from Spain and the Europeans still make the finest pigments around. Vallejo’s German Red Brown Primer is the best match for Tuscan Red that I’ve found ever.

Mission Models makes some very nice urethane enamels. They go on and cure with an excellent final surface. They are a bit fiddly to learn how to use but well worth the time spent in doing so. They are promising some rail road colors some day but, the existing line of military and automotive colors are broad.

Dale  B.
_,_._,_For a

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#4645) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_

lloyd lehrer

Randy, I spray a light coat on all the pieces, glue it up and then brush on finish coats with acrylics. There are some coach green colors in fine spray from dick blick. I just bring a painted car with and match up the color at the store.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

Randy Hees

Paint/prime the car with thinned shellac.. (alcohol based, thin with rubbing alcohol).  Treat as sanding sealer... sand or clean up with steel wool to seal everything...  Take care not to fill the scribed siding with paint.  You may want to consider using evergreen styrene in place of the scribed wood.  Then paint with your choice of paint...

Randy Hees

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 6:14 PM lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:
Randy, I spray a light coat on all the pieces, glue it up and then brush on finish coats with acrylics. There are some coach green colors in fine spray from dick blick. I just bring a painted car with and match up the color at the store.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 4:43 PM Randy <rdj_smj@...> wrote:

Looking for info and suggestions for painting Labelle HOn3 wood kits

Randy J

--
lloyd lehrer

Randy

Thanks

All my prior experience has been with plastic or metal kits

Randy J

RGSFAN

Randy,

I've found for great results (albeit a lot of work) with any wood kit.... I spray the finished car(s) with clear semi-gloss Deft Lacquer. The lacquer seals the wood pours and lifts the grain slightly. Once dry...(in minutes) I sand the surface using a small 400 grit sanding sponge. This creates a surface that feels as smooth as a babies bottom, then spray PBL's Star brand or True- color paint (both are an acetone based paint). I would try some test pieces first before spraying a model though.

John Miller

Michael Dunn

On Jan 1, 2020, at 4:09 PM, RGSFAN <amwing1588@...> wrote:

Randy,

I've found for great results (albeit a lot of work) with any wood kit.... I spray the finished car(s) with clear semi-gloss Deft Lacquer. The lacquer seals the wood pours and lifts the grain slightly. Once dry...(in minutes) I sand the surface using a small 400 grit sanding sponge. This creates a surface that feels as smooth as a babies bottom, then spray PBL's Star brand or True- color paint (both are an acetone based paint). I would try some test pieces first before spraying a model though.

John Miller
I'm midway through building Narrow Gauge Colorado's Placerville Depot kit (stuck on the roofing) and used PBL's Star Brand for the first time. Used their thinner, but was really impressed with how well it went down.

I have been trying for years to airbrush acrylics with varying results, PBL's paint is the closest I've come to old school original formula Floquil in... well a really, really long time.

So Randy, consider this a long winded +1 to John's recommendation!

Mike