Topics

one sided track ideas....

Brian Kopp

I am in the pre-planning stages for a small HOn3 layout of the Silver City, Deming & Pacific Railroad, circa early 1886. I have a question about laying track. It seems the SC,D&P foresaw that they would eventually be a dual gauge line and laid out their tracks with full size ties. They put the 3' rails to one side of the ties for a future third rail. It never came, by the way, and in May 1886 the 47 miles of track were standard gauged in one day by moving one rail.

Now on to my question. If I want to lay prototypical track, does it make sense to buy ME dual gauge track and pull out the third rail? I have never hand laid rails or switches, but I am tempted to try my hand with a fasttrack dual gauge switch jig. I would only lay the narrow gauge switch part but use the full size ties... Is there a better way to accomplish this prototypical track??

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Dan O

Montana Southern Railway did the same thing and never went to standard gauge. I tried removing the third rail from ME track and wouldn't recommend it. You still have the cast on tie plates and spikes. Plus there is plastic under that third rail. I’m going with handlaying it.

Dan Obermeyer

Glenhaven CA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10