Topics

one sided track ideas....

Brian Kopp

I am in the pre-planning stages for a small HOn3 layout of the Silver City, Deming & Pacific Railroad, circa early 1886. I have a question about laying track. It seems the SC,D&P foresaw that they would eventually be a dual gauge line and laid out their tracks with full size ties. They put the 3' rails to one side of the ties for a future third rail. It never came, by the way, and in May 1886 the 47 miles of track were standard gauged in one day by moving one rail.

Now on to my question. If I want to lay prototypical track, does it make sense to buy ME dual gauge track and pull out the third rail? I have never hand laid rails or switches, but I am tempted to try my hand with a fasttrack dual gauge switch jig. I would only lay the narrow gauge switch part but use the full size ties... Is there a better way to accomplish this prototypical track??

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Dan O

Montana Southern Railway did the same thing and never went to standard gauge. I tried removing the third rail from ME track and wouldn't recommend it. You still have the cast on tie plates and spikes. Plus there is plastic under that third rail. I’m going with handlaying it.

Dan Obermeyer

Glenhaven CA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2019 8:08:08 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] one sided track ideas....

I am in the pre-planning stages for a small HOn3 layout of the Silver City, Deming & Pacific Railroad, circa early 1886. I have a question about laying track. It seems the SC,D&P foresaw that they would eventually be a dual gauge line and laid out their tracks with full size ties. They put the 3' rails to one side of the ties for a future third rail. It never came, by the way, and in May 1886 the 47 miles of track were standard gauged in one day by moving one rail.

Now on to my question. If I want to lay prototypical track, does it make sense to buy ME dual gauge track and pull out the third rail? I have never hand laid rails or switches, but I am tempted to try my hand with a fasttrack dual gauge switch jig. I would only lay the narrow gauge switch part but use the full size ties... Is there a better way to accomplish this prototypical track??

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

David Keith

Could you use NG flex track, removing 5 of every 6 ties.  The put down standard gauge ties and lay the modified flex over the top.  The HOn3 ties would look like replacements or additions added once it was decided not to go standard gauge.

Fast Tracks does have jigs for straight or rail...Send them an email and ask if they have any suggestions.
Maybe a modified curve track jig or use a standard gauge and then solder the second rail to narrow gauge, not standard guage
https://www.handlaidtrack.com/fixtures-ho-curved-track

Dave K.

Brian Kopp

Thanks for the feedback Dan and Dave. Maybe with the right tools it can/should be done by hand.....
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

kevin b

well, it would be less effort than hand laying it totally, but still a task....
anyway, you could lay the flex track and then add on to one end of the ties.
i'd say sacrifice a length or two of the flex track, and cut up the ties from that so it all matches.
ballast, some weathering, a few weeds and things, make the added on bit on the far side where it's harder to see and so on.
you'll be hard pressed to see the "seam" i'll wager.
if you do strip the rail from a couple sections, cut that up into flat car loads and or piles along the side of the track etc.

so there is that idea for what it's worth.

thanks.
Kevin.

Dan O

Brian,

I use pc ties every 5th or 6th tie with wood ties in between. Once the ties are glued down and dry, I sand the tops down to just starting to sand the pc ties. I use a 12” board for the sanding block to get the flattest results. Restain the wood ties and start soldering the rail to the standard gauge side, then add the narrow gauge rail. An HOn3 track gauge to set the rail (several of them help speed the soldering). This is for code 55 and code 40 rail laid for the narrow gauge. Good luck. I find handlaying a great stress reliever.

Dan Obermeyer

Glenhaven CA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 12:01:40 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [HOn3] one sided track ideas....

Thanks for the feedback Dan and Dave. Maybe with the right tools it can/should be done by hand.....
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Thanks Dan. 

I love the great ideas and positive energy from this group. I think I am overcoming my fear of hand-laid track.....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL