From: Peter Smith <smithpb@...>
Date: Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:34 AM
Subject: [On3] Future Conventions
To: <on3@groups.io>

Greetings:

It has long been a tradition that future convention hosts are chosen by the attendees of prior conventions, with that selection process being managed by the current host committee. It is a part of the long tradition of being able to organize forty successive conventions without a need for an over-arching, national organization.

Lead times of several years (ideally 5) are required to ensure that the future hosts have time to arrange facilities and events. Commitments have already been made to host 2021 (Hickory, NC), 2022 (Seattle/Tacoma, WA) and 2023 (Denver, CO). It is a good idea to maintain the regular cadence of locations between the east, west and mid-west, so an eastern location would be ideal for 2024 before heading west for 2025.

But no bids have been made for 2024 or for 2025 - we had hoped to secure these bids in St. Louis in September 2020. To enable future hosts to have enough time to prepare future conventions, we are proposing that:
  • Groups wishing to host a convention in 2024 or 2025 should contact Pete Smith with a summary of their proposal, by August 31, 2020.
  • We will add the summary of your proposal to the 40th NNGC web site, http://40nngc.com, for all to view, as soon as we receive it.
  • If we have competing bids, we will initiate an informal, on-line vote to determine the best bid, in early September 2020.
  • We will keep the narrow gauge community informed via the convention website and other social media channels.

Is this a perfect process? No - but it's the best that we can dream up!  We look forward to perpetuating this wonderful tradition of National Narrow Gauge Conventions into the middle of the decade.

Feel free to call if you have questions, 618-531-5518.

Peter Smith