Old layout photos

Scott Baker

Hi friends,
I hope this is the appropriate place to add a few photos (Not sure i attached them correctly)..and hope to see a few of your past and present projects as well! Like I said I stepped away from the hobby for a bit due to school and moving into a new house a few years ago. Here are the only surviving pics of my old layout. The structure was not completed but built from plans from I think a 1985 issue of the Gazette. It was part of a free lanced scene and out of the photo was a ravine with a wooden trestle that led to the landscape mellowing out and a town with a lot of switching and operational interests and un-landscaped mainline beyond. Looking at these, I see a lot I would do differently now...looking forward to planning a new layout!

Climax@...

These look like fine starts.  Way too many arm chair model railroaders will say something but cannot model two stick together if they had to,  One must realize that most of your early mining structures were not precision built buildings and sure did not comply with any code.  They were coverings for shafts, for stamp mills, vats, grinders, tables, or what ever equipment they had.  If they would have taken the structure down and reassembled it would be completely different.  So who is to say what you have built is not a perfect model of THAT mine set.  I sure couldn't land I have studied the subject with well over 250 books, all of the Gazette, al of MRR and RMC, hard cover books, and the such.  Now internal equipment is different.  There was commercial manufacturing of machinery to include stamp mills, grinders, separation tables, different baths to grab certain ores, winfree tables, all the way down to bags or haul the ore or smelters who processed the ore into ingots to ship out.
What you have already accomplished is a set ahead of many others and there are many others you will be able to learn more from as  you progress through the modeling empires.
MMR#200 10 certificates

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jan 23, 2021 3:42 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: [HOn3] Old layout photos

Hi friends,
I hope this is the appropriate place to add a few photos (Not sure i attached them correctly)..and hope to see a few of your past and present projects as well! Like I said I stepped away from the hobby for a bit due to school and moving into a new house a few years ago. Here are the only surviving pics of my old layout. The structure was not completed but built from plans from I think a 1985 issue of the Gazette. It was part of a free lanced scene and out of the photo was a ravine with a wooden trestle that led to the landscape mellowing out and a town with a lot of switching and operational interests and un-landscaped mainline beyond. Looking at these, I see a lot I would do differently now...looking forward to planning a new layout!