NWSL curiosity on ebay

Brian Kopp

Curious item on ebay:
The listing says HOn3,
the photo of the box says HO,
and the photo of the wheel flange measurement suggests HOn30 (I think).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HOn3-Scale-Model-Kit-Northwest-Short-Line-Class-A-Shay-18-ton-1000/333846382654

What is it really??

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Mark Lewis

Brian,

Did you try "contacting" the seller, via that function, on the listing page?

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Ric Case

Measurements are for hon3! Had one many years ago ! It wasn’t worth the $100. Then! Good little model but will probably have to spend a lot of time to get it to run well! No room for sound and keep alive! As I remember. If I remember correctly it had a open frame motor! It’s really been a long time back!
Be a good buy for around 100./150.

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jan 4, 2021, at 4:36 PM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

Brian,

Did you try "contacting" the seller, via that function, on the listing page?

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Russ Norris

I picked up a little Benson Shay awhile back.  It's roughly the same size with an open frame motor that fills the tank.  I plan to replace it with a can motor.  It runs well on DC and with a Tsunami 2 there should be room in the cab for the decoder,  but a speaker and keep alive will be a challenge.

Russ

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021, 5:03 PM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
Measurements are for hon3! Had one many years ago ! It wasn’t worth the $100. Then! Good little model but will probably have to spend a lot of time to get it to run well! No room for sound and keep alive! As I remember. If I remember correctly it had a open frame motor! It’s really been a long time back!
Be a good buy for around 100./150.

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jan 4, 2021, at 4:36 PM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

Brian,

Did you try "contacting" the seller, via that function, on the listing page?

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Brian Kopp

Hi Mark,

No I have not contacted the seller yet.
Good idea.
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

kevin b

that listing has ended due to an error in the description

On Monday, January 4, 2021, 04:26:41 PM CST, Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

No I have not contacted the seller yet.
Good idea.
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Doh! Thanks Ric. Flange to flange measurements are always on the outside of the flanges!!!!

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Ric Case

Brian, common era! You say he took the post down! What kind of error I wonder!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jan 5, 2021, at 7:57 AM, Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

Doh! Thanks Ric. Flange to flange measurements are always on the outside of the flanges!!!!

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Ric Case

Brian I was in the middle of a purchase years ago for the little alisan shay! Had it in lay away and had paid over half, when the s o b that owned the shop decided to just sell it to another person! Had a heck of a time getting my money back from him. He wanted to give store credit!
Never went back to the shop again!
Store is long gone but still have bad feelings about the deal!
We are talking thirty years ago!
Lay a way was the only way I could buy anything over twenty dollars!
Young with wife and kids!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jan 5, 2021, at 11:34 AM, Ric Case via groups.io <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

Brian, common era! You say he took the post down! What kind of error I wonder!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jan 5, 2021, at 7:57 AM, Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

Doh! Thanks Ric. Flange to flange measurements are always on the outside of the flanges!!!!

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Climax@...

Surprised you could afford the wife and kids, but they we all made it out of early marriage somehow all while grasping at straws, or shays! hahahhahaha
DB

[...]

Too funny Ric.

I am 57 and still working, teaching engineering. Even so I have this fear I won't be able to buy what I want train-wise in retirement.  I have been amassing kits, detail parts, trucks, couplers, decals and "projects" (engines that aren't running or rolling stock with issues) in the hope that retirement will be this quiet nirvana of model railroading......Maybe I am nuts but right now since I only get an hour or two a week for the hobby, it brings peace of mind to know those 3 MDC shay kits with complete NWSL gearsets, new motors and detailing sets will be waiting for me. I hope the motor grease doesn't dry out. I am sure the paint will. =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Dave,
I am still working at it but I figured out a semi-rare brass shay is worth a Gucci purse..... Happy wife, happy model railroader.....
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Climax@...

Think of it as a savings account for your retirement.  If you did like I did you have anything, including duplicates and if you liked it a whole bunch probably a triplicate of what ever it was stashed away.  Now comes that retirement day, maybe a move which required packing it all up, then the move, Then the unpacking and you discover 3 of what ever, so hellllllooooo eBay.  Now you have another income as you say, what did I buy that for, or what ever.  Last year I sold about 25K worth of stuff I had accumulated.  I had every FSM kit, most of Model Master Pieces, BIS, and Master Creations kits.  Nobody has a space big enough to put all stuff built in place.  So for now it is a hidden piggy bank for later use. hahahahah