Topics

NG diesels

John Stutz

Regarding 'modern' NG diesel power, the Bachmans 44 ton and 70 ton GEs gave us a good base while the original mechanism was in production, but the shells are still a good start to recognizable power.  I suspect that the Bachman 70 ton BB could also be shortened to give a reasonable 50 ton version, as used by the SP and United  Gypsum.  Bob Bader's "Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Locomotives and Freight Equipment" has a couple drawings of the SP version.  Then there are the Oahu 44 ton BB and the Northern of Chile 70 ton CC with their articulated high adhesion trucks, for further variations.

Getting away from the GEs, and ignoring the PSC brass models, there is some hope of an ALCo DL535.  These were long a standard  export model for ALCo, widely used in South America and a standard type built under license by the Indian Railways.  I would not be too surprised to see a DL535 model for the South American market sometime in the next decade. This would be a high hood version, but all of PSC's castings are still available. 

I have already seen photos of some other 30D printed South American shells, for US built diesels, and have purchased an EMD GT22CU shell from Shapeways. 

If it is RTR large prototype diesels you want, take a good look at the Australian and New Zealand markets. New Zealand is entirely 3'6" gauge although heavily into S scale, while Australia has plenty more, especially in Queensland with at least one HOn3.5 manufacturer. Both countries have very active railway modeling communities that are increasingly focusing on home prototypes as models become available.  South Africa is another 3' 6" gauge country which dieseled with mostly U.S. products, and where railroad modeling is increasingly focusing on local prototypes, as commercial models become more available.

For instance, Wuiske Models offers 5 different HOn3.5 (12mm gauge) models of Queensland Railways locomotives: Class 1550 (27 EMD GL22C 1972-6), 1720 (56 EMD GL18 1966-70), 2100 (24 EMD GL26C 1970-73), 2400 (24 EMD GL22C-2 1977-8), and 2770 (38 EMD GL22C-2, 1980-83).  The GL22s were about the same weight as the White Pass ALCos, and could have been a contender if EMD had made a 36" gauge traction motor.   Circa 1997-2002, 60 of the GL22s were rebuilt as GT22LC-2s, which should not be a particularly difficult conversion, and aside from the cab, are not much different from what White Pass is now buying. These models are priced at $295 Aus, currently about $210 US, use RP25 code 88 wheels, and I am told can be easily re-gauged to 10.5mm.

John Stutz

Paul Sturtz

Just for info, here are photos of the NWSL brass #50 and one of my conversions, a 70t SP diesel.

gnorwood6 gnorwood6

Paul,
Looked at the photos and I was impressed. 
Just for your information, one of your 70 ton conversions made it all the way to Australia.
One of my mates bought one off ebay in Australia. Some guy in the state of South Australia had one up for sale.
Gary

------ Original Message ------
To: HOn3@groups.io
Sent: Friday, 12 Jun, 2020 At 4:45 AM
Subject: Re: [HOn3] NG diesels

Just for info, here are photos of the NWSL brass #50 and one of my conversions, a 70t SP diesel.    

TED

Paul.....outstanding work , no two ways about it !!  How do they run?? I have a set of conversation wheels  but after a couple failed attempts ( didn't run well at all) They sit in my parts box.

James Kendig

An easier alternative may be the HO Atlas Alco 660. I have three on my layout.  All are DCC and one has a Sountrax decoder with the protypical sound for these units. Steve Swafford, a modeler in the Chicago area, does the conversions at a reasonable price.  He also sells other switchers converted on eBay.  His user name there in JeepCaptain.  The units are 42' in length.  
Jim Kendig

Mark Lewis

Jim,

I like that, a lot!

Mark Lewis 
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020, 5:45 PM James Kendig <jjkendig@...> wrote:

An easier alternative may be the HO Atlas Alco 660. I have three on my layout.  All are DCC and one has a Sountrax decoder with the protypical sound for these units. Steve Swafford, a modeler in the Chicago area, does the conversions at a reasonable price.  He also sells other switchers converted on eBay.  His user name there in JeepCaptain.  The units are 42' in length.  
Jim Kendig

TED

Orrrrrrr you can modify the 45 tonner or the 70 tonner into correct width units. These have all been narrowed to proper HOn3 widths of 8 ft. the 70 tonner has a bit more work to go on it.  Now these all sit on N scale drives (HOn30) but  I would must rather have them with HOn3 drives. A simple switch a roo  if a drive ever becomes available.

100_9591.JPG

Bruce

Very, very nicely done!  Any hints as to what all you did to turn out such great looking models?

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce
419-602-3584 cell

Paul Sturtz

Thanks, Ted, and yes, they run very well.  One of the biggest problems with the conversions are the split axles, a common Bachmann problem.  I repair them by cutting washers from tube aluminum and press fitting them on the axles.  This could be your problem.  If you cut the gearboxes correctly, check your axles.  See the attached photos.  I have also upgraded the DCC.
Paul

Paul Sturtz

That one sure has traveled!  I did send one to England, I think this may be that one.  
Paul

Paul Sturtz

Those are neat!  Maybe converting to HOn30 is the answer.  My 44t didn't look as good as these.  Most of my conversions were completed as leased/demonstrator units that could fit in any layout.
Paul