Topics

New Kadee HOn3 coupler

Dale Buxton

OK, so I just got the July/Aug edition of the Gazette. On page 12 there is an Ad from Kadee for a new all metal HOn3 coupler. It looks like the plastic draft gear box is a snap together affair like most of their new ones are. The add says that they are available now. However, I went to the Kadee website and found nothing. So I guess the wait is on until they are really released. I'm so glad they decided to make a new coupler design for HOn3. Long, long overdue!

So I sent an email to Kadee about these new couplers. I just got their response. There were going to anounce these at NMRA Convetion in Salt Lake City this coming weekend. They ont be for sale until that time.

On another note. This NMRA convention in Salt Lake is going to be one of the greats. So many great layouts and things to see and do there. I wish I could be there.

Dale Buxton

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 4:52 PM Dale Buxton via Groups.Io <dbtuathaddana=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
OK, so I just got the July/Aug edition of the Gazette. On page 12 there is an Ad from Kadee for a new all metal HOn3 coupler. It looks like the plastic draft gear box is a snap together affair like most of their new ones are. The add says that they are available now. However, I went to the Kadee website and found nothing. So I guess the wait is on until they are really released. I'm so glad they decided to make a new coupler design for HOn3. Long, long overdue!

Thanks for chasing that down, Dale.

Wish I could be at SLC, but if anybody on this group is going, please check these out for us!

Mike Conder

Mark Lewis

Dale:

I'm hoping that the new pre-assembled HOn3 #705's can be disassembled and that the coupler shank and knuckle assembly can be dropped into Blackstone cast on draft gear boxes, like the 714's.

Mark Lewis

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019, 7:19 PM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark,

Just be advised. Mounting a metal coupler such as this straight to a metal framed car could create a shorting problem if you are not using plastic trucks or the plastic draft gear box to insulate the coupler from an electrical path. The Ad in the Gazette shows the coupler and box mounted in what I'm sure is a Blackstone Box Car. I compared the dimensions given in the Ad to the coupler space on the the bottom of a Blackstone Box Car. The new Kadee draft gear box fits neatly in that space! However given the shape of the draft gear box, The mounting post for the draft gear cover, with its screw hole would have to be removed from the car. Unless Kadee has made some arrangement in the design that accounts for this problem.

The one dimension that the drawings in the Ad don't show is the draft gear box's thickness from bottom to top. I think we kinda need to know that for a whole host of reasons.

What I am wondering is if this new design is a "Whisker Spring" type design or something else. A whisker spring type would make it difficult to mount this coupler in a locomotive pilot without some serious modifications to the coupler's rear shank area. Difficult, but, not impossible!

And as always. Clipping off the coupler's magnetic trip horn, would negate the use of uncoupling magnets and the "Magna-matic Delay Action" of the coupler.

Dale Buxton

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 5:32 PM Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:
[...]

More questions, than answers, it seems.
Looking forward to getting the actual new couplers, in hand.

Mark Lewis

Mark Kasprowicz

I wonder if the new design eliminates ' 714 coupler bounce'!

Mark K
Oxon England.

hiroechan

if the new #705's behave like their cousins the #158's, they will indeed reduce the bounce significantly.

I also bet the #705's will couple with Sergents directly, without needing to pick cars up to do it by hand.

--Drew McCann