Topics

New addition to RR building Now 20x46 feet

Steve Hatch

The second wall is now ready to pour so I'll mix concrete and fill the wall with concrete in the morning.
Then just one last wall and I can build the floor and the building and then the RR ADDITION
 Gad what a lot of work for the hobby ....
  But I get to expand the Standard gauge and give it quite a run.  I really can't wait.
Something about the roar of S standard gauge rolling through the RR....
 Gets me every time.

Steve Hatch    ( getting excited again)

Picture
Second Stem Wall and footing.
http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing4.jpg

Mike Conder

Nice looking stem wall there ... must be great to have your own backhoe to do this!

Mike Conder

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 9:29 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

The second wall is now ready to pour so I'll mix concrete and fill the wall with concrete in the morning.
Then just one last wall and I can build the floor and the building and then the RR ADDITION
 Gad what a lot of work for the hobby ....
  But I get to expand the Standard gauge and give it quite a run.  I really can't wait.
Something about the roar of S standard gauge rolling through the RR....
 Gets me every time.

Steve Hatch    ( getting excited again)

Picture
Second Stem Wall and footing.
http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing4.jpg

Lee Gustafson

Steve,

I admire and respect your commitment, dedication and energy to the hobby. I remember reading that John Allen excavated a portion of his basement for his railroad you are in the same category when it comes to building space for a layout. Take care and please keep the pictures coming. Best wishes.

Lee Gustafson

The second wall is now ready to pour so I'll mix concrete and fill the wall with concrete in the morning.
Then just one last wall and I can build the floor and the building and then the RR ADDITION
 Gad what a lot of work for the hobby ....
  But I get to expand the Standard gauge and give it quite a run.  I really can't wait.
Something about the roar of S standard gauge rolling through the RR....
 Gets me every time.

Steve Hatch    ( getting excited again)

Picture
Second Stem Wall and footing.
http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing4.jpg

lloyd lehrer

LEE, I hope Mr Hatch is less enthusiastic than Mr Allen was, since he tried to collapse his house by taking out support for his first floor level to make his train space larger.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

Mark Kasprowicz

Brilliant. ~There's comething about naked basework that sets the juices running. And when the track is down and running it's almost a sacridge to add scenery. Or have I a kangaroo loose in my top paddock?

Look great - I envy

Mark K
Oxon England.

Climax@...

I knew another person who did the same thing at John Allen did, bu tin Florida.  A man named Stew Marshall dug under the slab of his house to the point that that corner of the house was flexing if you would be so foolish as to walk in the room.  The city of Winter Park caught wind of it and condemned his home until that area had been properly braced and blocked up, fined him, and carefully watched the rest of the repairs.  He never did put a RR down there.  He being from Chicago area forgot that basements in Florida are called Swimming Pools.

The second wall is now ready to pour so I'll mix concrete and fill the wall with concrete in the morning.
Then just one last wall and I can build the floor and the building and then the RR ADDITION
 Gad what a lot of work for the hobby ....
  But I get to expand the Standard gauge and give it quite a run.  I really can't wait.
Something about the roar of S standard gauge rolling through the RR....
 Gets me every time.

Steve Hatch    ( getting excited again)

Picture
Second Stem Wall and footing.
http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing4.jpg

--
lloyd lehrer

Steve Hatch

How many blocks? so far I,ve set and filled 96.  Only took a six pack.
  No beer this morning but I poured the Wall this morning. Took from 7 this morning
till 11 am.

In fact here's the picture of the wall just after I finished this morning (fresh concrete)

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing5.jpg

Steve Hatch
Dewey AZ
Railway Engineering

Climax@...

Steve
I sure am glad that you do other stuff rather than lay block as a mason! hahhahhahah  The shadows give you away.  hahhaha  Seriously though, looks like a great base and stucco does hide a multitude of tiny misalignment
dave.

How many blocks? so far I,ve set and filled 96.  Only took a six pack.
  No beer this morning but I poured the Wall this morning. Took from 7 this morning
till 11 am.

In fact here's the picture of the wall just after I finished this morning (fresh concrete)

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing5.jpg

Steve Hatch
Dewey AZ
Railway Engineering

jmcqiv@...

Steve

It doesn't look like you have to go 42 inches below grade to get below the frostline like we have to here in Northern Illinois.
Great work, anxious to see more.

Jim McQueeny MMR
Rockford, IL

On Saturday, July 6, 2019, 1:12:09 PM CDT, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

How many blocks? so far I,ve set and filled 96.  Only took a six pack.
  No beer this morning but I poured the Wall this morning. Took from 7 this morning
till 11 am.

In fact here's the picture of the wall just after I finished this morning (fresh concrete)

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing5.jpg

Steve Hatch
Dewey AZ
Railway Engineering

Climax@...

Jim:
After growing up in Dundee Illinois and riding a motorcycle all year long while going to High School, I vowed to move south and never live where is snowed again much less freeze that deep.  I write you from the Orlando Fl area.  NO basements to play in but a nice pool and a three car garage full of trains. hahahhaha

It doesn't look like you have to go 42 inches below grade to get below the frostline like we have to here in Northern Illinois.
Great work, anxious to see more.

Jim McQueeny MMR
Rockford, IL

On Saturday, July 6, 2019, 1:12:09 PM CDT, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

How many blocks? so far I,ve set and filled 96.  Only took a six pack.
  No beer this morning but I poured the Wall this morning. Took from 7 this morning
till 11 am.

In fact here's the picture of the wall just after I finished this morning (fresh concrete)

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing5.jpg

Steve Hatch
Dewey AZ
Railway Engineering

Steve Hatch

Edited

here's the last stem wall. the 3rd one.
pic.

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing6.jpg

time to build some sticks together.   Just a big 1:1 kit.
Steve Hatch

Ric Case

Steve any chance you could post the drawings for the addition and track plans!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jul 11, 2019, at 1:56 PM, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

here's the last stem wall. the 3rd one.
pic.

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing6.jpg

time to build some sticks together.   Just a big 1:1 kit.
Steve Hatch

Steve Hatch

  Yes Ric I'll do that.   Take a couple days to get it all together.  I'll post them then.
The drawings are too large to use my copier.
-Steve Hatch

Dave Trimble

Steve,

To post a copy of a large drawing or print, take it outside, lay it flat to get good, even lighting from the sun and take a photo.

Then post the photo.

Dave

Ric Case

Steve that will be great!
I model the EBT which is supported by the Pennsylvania which I could use another complete basement for that part of the world.
My EBT covers most of the 1800 square feet so I really don’t have room for alot of the standard gauge.
Sometime when you get to Cincinnati drop a line and stop by!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694