Topics

National Narrow Gauge Convention – 2020 CANCELED

Dale Buxton

What an excellent idea! The layout tours are my favorite partIf the conventions.

Dale Buxton

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 11:23 Steven Haworth <haworth7@...> wrote:
So - how about a virtual 40th then?  At least we could have a photo display of models, and (ideally) some video layout tours.  I'd like that.
And we could still have something to 'call' the 40th convention.

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:21 PM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
Feel free. But you need to know that all the committees following the 40th designed our logos years ago, we have websites reserved, etc, etc.

Therefore, Hickory is the 41st, Seattle is the 42nd and mine in Denver is the 43rd and that really is the end of it. It was discussed and it is not going to change.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

On May 27, 2020, at 10:06 PM, John via groups.io <spaceway1999@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,
I'll have to disagree. From a math stand point, you don't count something that didn't happen.
We can discuss over scotch next year
John Peckham

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 8:57 PM, claneon30
Negative, it will be the 41st. The 40th will belong to St Louis, albeit with an asterisk.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

On May 27, 2020, at 7:55 PM, John via groups.io <spaceway1999@...> wrote:

So the 40th convention will now be in Hickory. Life is full of surprises!!
John Peckham

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 6:54 PM, Mark Lewis
Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Wed, May 27, 2020, 9:00 PM Don Peterson via groups.io <sagenut3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys,
I turned  OFF the evening news to get away from this type of discussion. This is not the forum for this.

Can we get back to HOn3 modelling?

Don Peterson

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 06:45:59 PM MDT, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

Covid19 and the Yearly Flu don’t care about about any of the things we humans care about! Not borders, not the language you speak, Not what you had for dinner, Not your favorite color, Not world business, not politics And not even our favorite hobbies.

It’ simply an RNA Transfer machine.   For lack of a better description. It’s not even technically alive. But, it has evolved to be opportunistic. It mimics key points in our bodies so it can gain entry. It has a mission and only one mission. To make copies of itself as fast as it can until all the materials it needs are used up. It hijacks the generic code of the cells it infects and re-writes this code to do nothing but make copies of itself. It will do this until the cell is destroyed! It will do this over and over again unless the immune system finds a way to stop it. It will take what it wants from the host up to and including their life.

COVID19 is massively more deadly than the common flu and massively less understood. This should be cause for great alarm by all of us! Instead we get fringe conspiracy nay-sayers.

All of our perceptions of life are colored by our experiences. It’s unavoidable. It’s human nature. My father spent most of his career making chemical and bio weapons for the US government. Accidental releases were frightening beyond the imagination to the people in this field. I guess dad passed I good deal of his concerns about pandemics both man made and naturally occurring on to me. So yes! I take this very, very seriously.

The US infection rate and death toll ( the highest publicly disclosed in the world) are because too many of us did not take it seriously in the beginning. What we are seeing are the results of that.

To all that read this. Please, please, please. Be smart, be safe, be well.

D. Buxton

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 15:42 NarrowMinded1 <nathan.kline83@...> wrote:
My reply from the Sn# group...

While I agree it is BS, I don't know that I would call it cowardly. I'm one of the people that is in the group of so called "conspiracy theorists." While I believe the virus is real I think it's less of a threat than the seasonal flu and that it is being blown out of proportion for political reasons I can understand the reasoning for not attending. If big box stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's and even convenience stores can remain open then why not small businesses and tourist RR's stay open. If masks work then why social distance? If social distancing works then why the masks? I believe in common sense; stay home if you feel sick or if you have symptoms, wash your hands regularly, and cover your sneeze and cough. I've tried my best to keep this "neutral" so please take that into consideration when reading this. Thank you!
--
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.

John Stutz

Might also consider putting clinics online. Many are now prepackaged as PDFs, Authors could add comments, along the lines of what they would be saying at a live meeting. This would loose the dynamics of a live interaction, but would allow detailed inspection of images of interest, something that I have often missed. So probably best for historic photo type presentations.

John Stutz

< narrowrails12@...> wrote:
[...]

Russ Norris

I thought the NMRA was already putting clinics online.  I have received a number of notices in recent weeks about offerings on Facebook live.  The following week they are available as videos on YouTube.

Russ

< narrowrails12@...> wrote:
[...]

John Hutnick

I too would like to be able to view clinics or layouts in lieu of the convention.  However, I am not an NMRA member and do not wish to join Facebook.

Climax@...

I would too, am a member of NMRA since 1974, and also will not join Facebook.

I too would like to be able to view clinics or layouts in lieu of the convention.  However, I am not an NMRA member and do not wish to join Facebook.

Mike Mackey

The clinics are being simulcast on YouTube.

Mike “Rustler” Mackey, MMR

Mike

On May 30, 2020, at 1:30 PM, "Climax@..." <Climax@... wrote:

I would too, am a member of NMRA since 1974, and also will not join Facebook.

I too would like to be able to view clinics or layouts in lieu of the convention.  However, I am not an NMRA member and do not wish to join Facebook.

--
Mike “Rustler” Mackey

John Hutnick

I searched Youtube for 2020 Narrow Gauge Convention and got no results.