Topics

National Narrow Gauge Convention – 2020 CANCELED

richrands

Well we gave it a shot.

In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the St. Louis convention committee has decided to cancel the 40th National Narrow Gauge Convention. All registered attendees and vendors will receive an email, which will contain additional details.  Thank you for your understanding and support.

Craig Linn

Sorry to hear this...but certainly understandable.

NarrowMinded1

My reply from the Sn# group...

While I agree it is BS, I don't know that I would call it cowardly. I'm one of the people that is in the group of so called "conspiracy theorists." While I believe the virus is real I think it's less of a threat than the seasonal flu and that it is being blown out of proportion for political reasons I can understand the reasoning for not attending. If big box stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's and even convenience stores can remain open then why not small businesses and tourist RR's stay open. If masks work then why social distance? If social distancing works then why the masks? I believe in common sense; stay home if you feel sick or if you have symptoms, wash your hands regularly, and cover your sneeze and cough. I've tried my best to keep this "neutral" so please take that into consideration when reading this. Thank you!
--
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.

Steven Haworth

Nathan, for what it's worth - right here in my suburb of 58,000 people, we've had 1380 cases sick enough to be tested, and 70 are dead.  We've had several cases right in my workplace, and at least one relative (of a co-worker) has died (although this was an elderly person).

To me, this seems far more contagious than normal flu, and seems focused in larger population areas (including St. Louis sadly).  Hopefully more rural areas will be spared.

I work directly, daily, w/ colleagues in Japan, and over there the worst is already past, with low # of cases and deaths - only 820 dead (still a lot), but much less than Cook county (where I live), with 74,000 cases and 3300 dead.  Why?  Their population centers are even more dense than our big cities.  Japan did react fast, I suppose, but I would like to understand why the difference.

I really miss going shopping easily, and all the summer festivals and activities.  Sometimes it seems we're all over-reacting, but then people nearby get really sick and the body count starts increasing.  I'm not sure what to think, but I really wish we had a vaccine and could be done w/ this.  I'm very bummed about the NG convention, of course.

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:42 PM NarrowMinded1 <nathan.kline83@...> wrote:
[...]

Jeff Young

Ireland’s annual flu deaths run around 250; so far we’ve lost 1,631 to Covid-19.

While the Irish have no shortage of political axes we like to grind, the pandemic doesn't really feature in any of their narratives. (And yes, we’re still under lock-down.)

Dale Buxton

Covid19 and the Yearly Flu don’t care about about any of the things we humans care about! Not borders, not the language you speak, Not what you had for dinner, Not your favorite color, Not world business, not politics And not even our favorite hobbies.

It’ simply an RNA Transfer machine.   For lack of a better description. It’s not even technically alive. But, it has evolved to be opportunistic. It mimics key points in our bodies so it can gain entry. It has a mission and only one mission. To make copies of itself as fast as it can until all the materials it needs are used up. It hijacks the generic code of the cells it infects and re-writes this code to do nothing but make copies of itself. It will do this until the cell is destroyed! It will do this over and over again unless the immune system finds a way to stop it. It will take what it wants from the host up to and including their life.

COVID19 is massively more deadly than the common flu and massively less understood. This should be cause for great alarm by all of us! Instead we get fringe conspiracy nay-sayers.

All of our perceptions of life are colored by our experiences. It’s unavoidable. It’s human nature. My father spent most of his career making chemical and bio weapons for the US government. Accidental releases were frightening beyond the imagination to the people in this field. I guess dad passed I good deal of his concerns about pandemics both man made and naturally occurring on to me. So yes! I take this very, very seriously.

The US infection rate and death toll ( the highest publicly disclosed in the world) are because too many of us did not take it seriously in the beginning. What we are seeing are the results of that.

To all that read this. Please, please, please. Be smart, be safe, be well.

D. Buxton

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 15:42 NarrowMinded1 <nathan.kline83@...> wrote:
[...]

Don Peterson

Guys,
I turned  OFF the evening news to get away from this type of discussion. This is not the forum for this.

Can we get back to HOn3 modelling?

Don Peterson

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 06:45:59 PM MDT, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Lewis

Agreed, Don.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Wed, May 27, 2020, 9:00 PM Don Peterson via groups.io <sagenut3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

John

So the 40th convention will now be in Hickory. Life is full of surprises!!
John Peckham

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 6:54 PM, Mark Lewis
<narrowrails12@...> wrote:
[...]

Climax@...

Dale:
I agree 100% with you.  My wife and I have been grounded to the house with no visitors except out daughter until recently when her xhusband got together with another woman who had kids and a husband who takes her kids to Miami.  Now she can come over but stays outside and we maintain at least an 8 foot space between us and them and wear masks.  We have been grounded since February and at 73 we are taking no chances.
I do believe this was a mistaken release of a Military grade bio weapon by the Chineses and it just got out of control.  Now we see how easily a bio weapon and how quickly it can spread over the whole world.  The has been outlawed and all nations signed on to it so why is China still playing with it?

[...]

Jim Marlett

Well said, Dale. I guess those of us with backgrounds in biology have a better understanding of what doctors, epidemiologists, scientists, and so on are saying.

However, I think we are drifting off topic for the group. Perhaps it is time for a little self restrain, me included.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On May 27, 2020, at 7:45 PM, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

[...]

claneon30

Negative, it will be the 41st. The 40th will belong to St Louis, albeit with an asterisk.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

On May 27, 2020, at 7:55 PM, John via groups.io <spaceway1999@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Chris,
I'll have to disagree. From a math stand point, you don't count something that didn't happen.
We can discuss over scotch next year
John Peckham

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 8:57 PM, claneon30
<chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
[...]

I agree Jim,

What Narrowminded1 wrote simply made me angry. I felt compelled to not let what he wrote simply pass for anything more than what it really was. I apologize to the list for my post. The sad thing is, I saw the Narrow Gauge Convention being cancelled way back at the end of February. Now it has come to pass and I think the St. Louis crew did the right thing for us. Now we can look foreward to next year. In the mean time, we all have more time to model our favorite HOn3 projects.

So I wish everyone happy modeling!

Dale Buxton

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 9:17 PM Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:
[...]

Since there were no bids for the 2024 convention, maybe the St. Louis group could go for that one. It wouldn’t be a “commemorative” year, maybe they could call it the combined 40th and 44th convention. We who are hunkering down for this year would certainly get the joke.

On May 28, 2020, at 2:30 AM, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

[...]

John Short

Thank you, Chris!  I could not have said it better, and more succinctly!

John Short

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 11:57:25 PM EDT, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

[...]

Feel free. But you need to know that all the committees following the 40th designed our logos years ago, we have websites reserved, etc, etc.

Therefore, Hickory is the 41st, Seattle is the 42nd and mine in Denver is the 43rd and that really is the end of it. It was discussed and it is not going to change.

On May 27, 2020, at 10:06 PM, John via groups.io <spaceway1999@...> wrote:

[...]

So - how about a virtual 40th then?  At least we could have a photo display of models, and (ideally) some video layout tours.  I'd like that.
And we could still have something to 'call' the 40th convention.

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:21 PM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
[...]

Given the run up, the earliest they could bid would be 2025. Perhaps they will and that would be great.

But also know that they took a financial by doing this, so no one should be surprised if they are not jonesing to jump back in.

On May 28, 2020, at 7:14 AM, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

[...]

For most model railroaders the hobby has a big social element in it. The cultural effect of the pandemic has hurt that.  I think it's good to talk about it and share positive thoughts on what comes next.  But it's a dreary subject.
One direction I think will sooth the hurts will be to explore the artistic side of our hobby.  Artists have, for millennia past, been working in a mostly one way world.  It is the rare artist (other than art teachers) who hangs around his exhibition to interact with others of his kind or the general public.  Art is really an expression of one's self that is given to others, even if there is a minimal intercourse of communications involved.
So think about your model as a work of art.  It is usually static.  The 2d version is easy to share.  The 3d is not so in these pandemic times even though technology of the future may change that.  But there are also opportunities for especially the 2d version to be dynamic, by adding animation and making a video presentation as some of us are doing in early experiments.  But the existing "art" and technology has a long way to go to compete with traditional forms of art.
One approach is to build the model or an entire scene and use it to tell a pleasing story (or perhaps a horror story) in a well posed and/or edited photo.  We have pretty cool (and affordable) computer technology today to support that approach where the captured image is the essence of the art.
Another approach is a sequence of images that tell a story through the medium of changing scenery.  Sure, moving train models around is the foundation of our hobby.  But how about changing other elements of the scene to produce a story of a dynamic activity.  How might we alter our modeling to make it easy to reset "stage" where the story is filmed.  You don't need animation if the medium is a set of fixed images like illustrations in a story book. A real interesting approach is to model the same place in two different times, perhaps decades apart.  What a great way to use up that duplicate kit you ended up with and never got around to selling or giving away.  Just model all your buildings to be removable from the layout with a minimum of damage to the scenery around.  Or make the "before" a vacant lot.

What you do need is model elements that are easy to move around (like human figures or trees with pins sticking down rather than flat bases).  Or movable arms. How about smoke and steam that are painted on thin transparent plastic or boats that are waterline models with wakes.  Lots of space here for creativity. And plenty of things to share with others as a new environmental reality surrounds us.