Topics

Narrow Gauge Roundhouses

Stephen Silver

Hi all.  I'll start by saying that I am starting a layout from scratch, have high intermediate modeling skills, and have a lot to do so I deem scratch building out of bounds until so much more is done.

I have a plan that has two turntables and two roundhouses.  I have acquired the Sargents kit by Banta for point B as 3 stalls is what I need.  For point A, I am looking for a minimum 5 stall kit, could fit 6. Love the CC Crow stuff, but way more than I can accommodate and a bit pricey with long long waits.  I have looked at the Model Masterpieces Como kit, that could work but I am not really that enthusiastic about it.  I like the SSI Sterling standard gauge kit but feel it would dwarf the narrow gauge gear.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on an HOn3 scaled kit?  Thanks. S

Jim Marlett

You can get the Sargents roundhouse with more stalls if that style appeals to you. I’ve toyed with the idea of using or kit bashing a Walthers three stall roundhouse kit (https://www.walthers.com/three-stall-roundhouse-kit-14-x-14-1-4-x-4-11-16-quot-35-6-x-36-2-x-11-9cm) which can be expanded up to 36 stalls. It would hold K-36s and K-37s pretty easily, but if your railroad uses smaller locomotives, it would probably overpower them. If I went that route, I would try to reduce the height. A 65’ turntable rather than a Walthers 90’ or 110’ turntable might even get you reasonable leads out front.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Nov 11, 2019, at 7:43 AM, Stephen Silver via Groups.Io <ssilver996@...> wrote:

Hi all.  I'll start by saying that I am starting a layout from scratch, have high intermediate modeling skills, and have a lot to do so I deem scratch building out of bounds until so much more is done.

I have a plan that has two turntables and two roundhouses.  I have acquired the Sargents kit by Banta for point B as 3 stalls is what I need.  For point A, I am looking for a minimum 5 stall kit, could fit 6. Love the CC Crow stuff, but way more than I can accommodate and a bit pricey with long long waits.  I have looked at the Model Masterpieces Como kit, that could work but I am not really that enthusiastic about it.  I like the SSI Sterling standard gauge kit but feel it would dwarf the narrow gauge gear.

Stephen Silver

I have two Kitwood 65ft turntables.  Thank you for your comments.  

S

Life is mostly attitude and timing

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 09:25:05 AM PST, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

You can get the Sargents roundhouse with more stalls if that style appeals to you. I’ve toyed with the idea of using or kit bashing a Walthers three stall roundhouse kit (https://www.walthers.com/three-stall-roundhouse-kit-14-x-14-1-4-x-4-11-16-quot-35-6-x-36-2-x-11-9cm) which can be expanded up to 36 stalls. It would hold K-36s and K-37s pretty easily, but if your railroad uses smaller locomotives, it would probably overpower them. If I went that route, I would try to reduce the height. A 65’ turntable rather than a Walthers 90’ or 110’ turntable might even get you reasonable leads out front.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Nov 11, 2019, at 7:43 AM, Stephen Silver via Groups.Io <ssilver996@...> wrote:

Russ Norris

I have a 65' Kitwood turntable as well.  They are fun to build and they look great.  Good choice.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 12:50 PM Stephen Silver via Groups.Io <ssilver996=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have two Kitwood 65ft turntables.  Thank you for your comments.  

S

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 09:25:05 AM PST, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

Hi all.  I'll start by saying that I am starting a layout from scratch, have high intermediate modeling skills, and have a lot to do so I deem scratch building out of bounds until so much more is done.

I have a plan that has two turntables and two roundhouses.  I have acquired the Sargents kit by Banta for point B as 3 stalls is what I need.  For point A, I am looking for a minimum 5 stall kit, could fit 6. Love the CC Crow stuff, but way more than I can accommodate and a bit pricey with long long waits.  I have looked at the Model Masterpieces Como kit, that could work but I am not really that enthusiastic about it.  I like the SSI Sterling standard gauge kit but feel it would dwarf the narrow gauge gear.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on an HOn3 scaled kit?  Thanks. S

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Dale Buxton

Know this about the MM Como roundhouse. The door openings will not accommodate K-27s easily and none of the larger “K” classes at all.

Monster Model Works did a short run of the Durango Roundhouse in HO scale if you can find one. It will take all of the “K” classes.

Dale B

Climax@...

Is that becasue of height or width problems.  I have most of the MM roundhouses and extra stalls yet to build.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Nov 11, 2019 10:30 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Narrow Gauge Roundhouses

Know this about the MM Como roundhouse. The door openings will not accommodate K-27s easily and none of the larger “K” classes at all.

Monster Model Works did a short run of the Durango Roundhouse in HO scale if you can find one. It will take all of the “K” classes.

Dale B

Dale Buxton

It’s mostly a width thing with D&RGW “K’s”. However, C&S locomotives with Bear Trap Spark Arrestors have a height problem at Como. That’s why the arrestor was hinged in the middle and they folded down to the side. 

Dale B.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 20:43 <Climax@...> wrote:

Is that becasue of height or width problems.  I have most of the MM roundhouses and extra stalls yet to build.
Sent: Nov 11, 2019 10:30 PM

Dale B

Mark Kasprowicz

Perhaps buy the extra two or three stalls for the Sargents kit giving you a rarer six stall house and then look around for a more common two or three staller. I just finished a five stall Sargents and can confirm it will take a K-37 but the track has to be centralised accurately. It goes together very well but beware of the roof. It has a tendancy to warp especially with the extra stalls. If I were doing it again I'd contact Bill when ordering the extra stalls (easiest place to get them) and got him to supply another one piece three stall roof. I had to add an extension to the sides of the roof to make it fit so that might be a cure for that. There's a fair amount of timberwork that has to be glued under the roof which is supposed to straighten it, but I gave up after a while when it seemed it wasn't going to happen.
Use spirit based paints when apply the tissue/ tar paper, again to avoid warping.
Mark K

Jeff Young

Thanks for the info, Mark.

I’ve got a Sargents kit (with three extra stalls), but getting through Kokomo, Marshall Pass and the Alpine Tunnel to Sargents is going to take me another 10 years or so.  I hope I still remember your advice by then. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.

On 12 Nov 2019, at 08:09, Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

Perhaps buy the extra two or three stalls for the Sargents kit giving you a rarer six stall house and then look around for a more common two or three staller. I just finished a five stall Sargents and can confirm it will take a K-37 but the track has to be centralised accurately. It goes together very well but beware of the roof. It has a tendancy to warp especially with the extra stalls. If I were doing it again I'd contact Bill when ordering the extra stalls (easiest place to get them) and got him to supply another one piece three stall roof. I had to add an extension to the sides of the roof to make it fit so that might be a cure for that. There's a fair amount of timberwork that has to be glued under the roof which is supposed to straighten it, but I gave up after a while when it seemed it wasn't going to happen.
Use spirit based paints when apply the tissue/ tar paper, again to avoid warping.
Mark K

Ric Case

I have found that painting both sides of the roof material helps stop the warping! 

Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

On Nov 12, 2019, at 3:09 AM, Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

Mark K

Climax@...

Why not use either sheet plastic of the right thickness or even sheet metal for the roofs instead of the card stock ones?
Dave

Sent: Nov 12, 2019 8:05 AM

I have found that painting both sides of the roof material helps stop the warping! 

Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

Mark K

asandrini

I use 1/64" 3-ply plywood for roofing (cuts easily with Xacto or single edge razor blade). Very strong, no warping. Available from shops that sell R/C planes . They use it for sheeting wings. To add corrugated roofing, you can draw your alignment lines, cover with 3M transfer adhesive and stick roofing to the adhesive and it will never come loose. Also works great for a shingle or tar paper roof.

Al

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/12/19 1:30 PM (GMT+00:00)

Why not use either sheet plastic of the right thickness or even sheet metal for the roofs instead of the card stock ones?
Dave

Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

Mark K

Russ Norris

Thanks Al.  Very helpful.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 9:09 AM asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:
I use 1/64" 3-ply plywood for roofing (cuts easily with Xacto or single edge razor blade). Very strong, no warping. Available from shops that sell R/C planes . They use it for sheeting wings. To add corrugated roofing, you can draw your alignment lines, cover with 3M transfer adhesive and stick roofing to the adhesive and it will never come loose. Also works great for a shingle or tar paper roof.

Al

Dave

Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

Mark K

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

asandrini

Also I believe that equates to sunroof thickness of a little over 1" thick.  Depending on size of structure, very little roof support is needed.

I scribe down the center and fold over the peak, so the plywood pieces are still connected as one piece.  You can attach roof and run some thin CA on the underside of the peak to prevent it from ever cracking along the scribe.

1/64 ply is sold in 6x9 sheets, but can be purchased in sheets up to 24x48.  

Al

Date: 11/12/19 2:14 PM (GMT+00:00)

Al

Dave

Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

Mark K

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Stephen Silver

Thanks everyone.  Seems there is only a limited market for HOn3 roundhouse kits.  I might just wait and see if Clint ever gets the Durango/Gunnison houses available in HO.  I do have the Sargents 3 stall.  It's been built now, it's for the the down mountain interchange of Mellow Gulch.  Silver Creek is the up mountain main yard and facilities for the SC&MG Rwy and 5-7 stalls would give cover to the engines stationed there.

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 06:37:03 AM PST, asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:

Also I believe that equates to sunroof thickness of a little over 1" thick.  Depending on size of structure, very little roof support is needed.

I scribe down the center and fold over the peak, so the plywood pieces are still connected as one piece.  You can attach roof and run some thin CA on the underside of the peak to prevent it from ever cracking along the scribe.

1/64 ply is sold in 6x9 sheets, but can be purchased in sheets up to 24x48.  

Al

Date: 11/12/19 2:14 PM (GMT+00:00)

Al

Dave

Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

Mark K

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts