Topics

Narrow Gauge Roundhouses

Stephen Silver

Hi all.  I'll start by saying that I am starting a layout from scratch, have high intermediate modeling skills, and have a lot to do so I deem scratch building out of bounds until so much more is done.

I have a plan that has two turntables and two roundhouses.  I have acquired the Sargents kit by Banta for point B as 3 stalls is what I need.  For point A, I am looking for a minimum 5 stall kit, could fit 6. Love the CC Crow stuff, but way more than I can accommodate and a bit pricey with long long waits.  I have looked at the Model Masterpieces Como kit, that could work but I am not really that enthusiastic about it.  I like the SSI Sterling standard gauge kit but feel it would dwarf the narrow gauge gear.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on an HOn3 scaled kit?  Thanks. S

Jim Marlett

You can get the Sargents roundhouse with more stalls if that style appeals to you. I’ve toyed with the idea of using or kit bashing a Walthers three stall roundhouse kit (https://www.walthers.com/three-stall-roundhouse-kit-14-x-14-1-4-x-4-11-16-quot-35-6-x-36-2-x-11-9cm) which can be expanded up to 36 stalls. It would hold K-36s and K-37s pretty easily, but if your railroad uses smaller locomotives, it would probably overpower them. If I went that route, I would try to reduce the height. A 65’ turntable rather than a Walthers 90’ or 110’ turntable might even get you reasonable leads out front.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Nov 11, 2019, at 7:43 AM, Stephen Silver via Groups.Io <ssilver996@...> wrote:

Hi all.  I'll start by saying that I am starting a layout from scratch, have high intermediate modeling skills, and have a lot to do so I deem scratch building out of bounds until so much more is done.

I have a plan that has two turntables and two roundhouses.  I have acquired the Sargents kit by Banta for point B as 3 stalls is what I need.  For point A, I am looking for a minimum 5 stall kit, could fit 6. Love the CC Crow stuff, but way more than I can accommodate and a bit pricey with long long waits.  I have looked at the Model Masterpieces Como kit, that could work but I am not really that enthusiastic about it.  I like the SSI Sterling standard gauge kit but feel it would dwarf the narrow gauge gear.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on an HOn3 scaled kit?  Thanks. S

Stephen Silver

I have two Kitwood 65ft turntables.  Thank you for your comments.

Life is mostly attitude and timing

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 09:25:05 AM PST, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

[...]

Russ Norris

I have a 65' Kitwood turntable as well.  They are fun to build and they look great.  Good choice.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 12:50 PM Stephen Silver via Groups.Io <ssilver996=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Know this about the MM Como roundhouse. The door openings will not accommodate K-27s easily and none of the larger “K” classes at all.

Monster Model Works did a short run of the Durango Roundhouse in HO scale if you can find one. It will take all of the “K” classes.

Dale B

Climax@...

Is that becasue of height or width problems.  I have most of the MM roundhouses and extra stalls yet to build.

Know this about the MM Como roundhouse. The door openings will not accommodate K-27s easily and none of the larger “K” classes at all.

Monster Model Works did a short run of the Durango Roundhouse in HO scale if you can find one. It will take all of the “K” classes.

Dale B

Dale Buxton

It’s mostly a width thing with D&RGW “K’s”. However, C&S locomotives with Bear Trap Spark Arrestors have a height problem at Como. That’s why the arrestor was hinged in the middle and they folded down to the side.

Dale B.

From: Climax@...
Date: 11/12/19 1:30 PM (GMT+00:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io

[...]

Thanks Al.  Very helpful.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 9:09 AM asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:
[...]

asandrini

Also I believe that equates to sunroof thickness of a little over 1" thick.  Depending on size of structure, very little roof support is needed.

I scribe down the center and fold over the peak, so the plywood pieces are still connected as one piece.  You can attach roof and run some thin CA on the underside of the peak to prevent it from ever cracking along the scribe.

1/64 ply is sold in 6x9 sheets, but can be purchased in sheets up to 24x48.

Al

[...]

Thanks everyone.  Seems there is only a limited market for HOn3 roundhouse kits.  I might just wait and see if Clint ever gets the Durango/Gunnison houses available in HO.  I do have the Sargents 3 stall.  It's been built now, it's for the the down mountain interchange of Mellow Gulch.  Silver Creek is the up mountain main yard and facilities for the SC&MG Rwy and 5-7 stalls would give cover to the engines stationed there.