Topics

Narrow Gauge Convention Steam Double Header

Russ Norris

I just got back from Sacramento with lots of photos that I will work on uploading to this site and to my blog.  But for a little fun, here are some videos of our last day on Sunday, September 8.  A bus load of us traveled 2 1/2 hours south and east into the foothills of the Sierras for a rare double headed stream excursion and run-by of two beautiful oil burners: Sierra Railway American #3 and Mogul #28.  Sadly, they were not narrow gauge, but they did run on steam and the run-bys were glorious.  The first two videos show the crews backing up the locomotives to couple to the morning train.  Notice the relaxed style and hand signals of the bewhiskered brakeman on #28.  The second video shows the lead loco, #3 backing up to couple in front of #28.  This time the brakeman was the chief mechanic for the Sierra Railway, who had a very different, more elegant style of hand signals.  The third and fourth videos are the photo run-bys.  Lots of fun.

https://youtu.be/0k0RaZ6vmfg

https://youtu.be/FbQhI1YOU5U

https://youtu.be/jxZwhYbL1LI

https://youtu.be/YuIFjrhYbdM

Dave Trimble

Nice!

And you were cleaver enough to avoid including spectators in the videos.

Springs

Bill Lugg

Great videos!  the old girls look good.

One little nit - Sierra #3 is a 4-6-0, not an American.  Just think of it as an over sized T-12.  :o)

Bill Lugg

On 9/16/19 7:45 PM, Russ Norris wrote:
[...]

Bill Lugg has correctly noticed that #3 is unquestionably a 4-6-0.  It's a 10 wheeler.  Sorry.  I think I lost my ability to count after 14 days on the road.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, 9:45 PM Russ Norris via Groups.Io <rbnorrisjr=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bruce

Nice videos Russ!

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019, 5:45 AM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
[...]

Ric Case

Bruce and others,
The Cincinnati division 7 Swoops group will be operating 20 plus layouts over 3 days starting October 18 -20. There are still spots available to operate on my EBT and Ron Pearson’s EBT.plus18 other fine rrs.
This is a chance to see two great eastern narrow gauge railroad layouts in the Cincinnati area. Personal plug!
Bruce were you going to come south?

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Sep 18, 2019, at 11:57 AM, Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:

[...]

Ric,

Once again life keeps getting in the way of my railroad/EBT interests.  We have a number of things going on in October (actually through Xmas) that will keep me North.

On the railroad construction front, I seriously underestimated how much infrastructure (table, lighting, valance, etc.) I had to do after making a couple major design changes.   Pretty embarrassing for someone who made a very good living doing major construction project management.

On the good news front, I am making great progress on the the work.  I now have all the valance brackets installed on the ceiling and the upper level lighting complete.  The two photos give you a little idea.  I also have blue rope lighting installed for night lighting but it is not in the photos.

I am finishing up the upper level table supports on the end of the peninsula.  I use, and love, steel framing for my table.  But I can't wait to finish it as I cut myself just looking at it!  This will be followed with the upper level bus wiring.

And thanks to an idea from my summer visit to Russ Norris, I have found a way to have continuous running on the narrow gauge without looking like I have continuous running.  Great for visitors and grandkids, not for use during operations!

I keep getting closer to actually laying track but I am not going to any longer predict when THAT might happen!

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce
419-602-3584 cell

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 12:21 PM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
[...]

Wow, Bruce!  I love your bench work.  The looping peninsula is incredible, especially with all those steel supports.  Looks like you are building a layout for the ages.  Can't wait to see when you start to lay track.

Russ

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019, 8:04 AM Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:
[...]

Me too!!