Topics

My string of sausages

Don Bergman

Attached find several photos of my string of tankers.  One kit, 1 brass, 3  MDC, and the rest  are Blackstone.  Look at the first 2 photos and pick out the 3 MDC.  They are different but back when I purchased them there were not many low-cost options.  No visitor has noted the difference.   I am sure those paying attention to NG tank cars will note the difference.  However, not big enough for me to keep them off the layout.

The next photo shows the difference.  MDC on the right.  See below for the 3 in the string.

The first photo shows Peak at the bottom, Anderson loop on the right, Ames tank in the middle and Trout Lake Tank on the top.
The Second shows looking over Ophir 45-A to Bridges 44-A, 46-B, C, & F
Bridge 46-B is not RGS prototypical but I built that deck truss bridge from Model Railroader plans when in High School, so it stays on the layout!  🙂

Don Bergman

They are the 1st, 2nd, and 9th.

asandrini

Here are my string of sausages.

Al

[...]

gnorwood6 gnorwood6

Don,
The only obvious thing is the slightly clunky hand rail posts. Quite acceptable from my point of view.
Like the comment about your bridge 45B. That is a very good reason to justify being included on the layout.
Attached is one photo of my layout with part of my very short high line.
Regards,
Gary

[...]

Climax@...

Going along with that, I am 73 now so I as scratch building back in the 60's.  One habit I got into was with an ink pen or Sharpy I would write the date I built any structure and some cars, on the bottom before I put it on my layout.  Sometimes its interesting to pick up a structure and turn it over, then think back.  It brings a lot of memories back and isn't that the whole purpose of life, making memories?

[...]

Steen Mortensen

Hi Don!

You inspire  me to confess my age as 78 modeling 1878 SPCRR…..SO MUCH FUN !!

Steen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Robert Veefkind

In a message dated 8/2/2020 8:45:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, DBRenegade@... writes:

The next photo shows the difference.  MDC on the right.  See below for the 3 in the string.

Don, are your MDC tanks made into the frameless? I made up a string of those some time ago using the PSC bolster and they turn out fairly well. I was hoping to somehow use the MDC frame for the narrow frame tanks. The utlx frames are much wider (about 4') than the MDC frames (about 2'). The closest I can find are the old COLX as shown in Grandts pictorial. The MDC frames mill down fairly well but lots of work and not practical for most modelers. Again -not looking for a contest model. I am working on a proto 2000 8,000 gallon tank that can be made into Conoco # 44 with some modifications .     Bob Veefkind

They are the 1st, 2nd, and 9th.

Don Bergman

Bob,

I used whatever frame came with the tank.

Don

Don, are your MDC tanks made into the frameless? I made up a string of those some time ago using the PSC bolster and they turn out fairly well. I was hoping to somehow use the MDC frame for the narrow frame tanks. The utlx frames are much wider (about 4') than the MDC frames (about 2'). The closest I can find are the old COLX as shown in Grandts pictorial. The MDC frames mill down fairly well but lots of work and not practical for most modelers. Again -not looking for a contest model. I am working on a proto 2000 8,000 gallon tank that can be made into Conoco # 44 with some modifications .     Bob Veefkind

Jeff Reynolds

Don,
It has been a long time since I've seen your work in pix. You have saved me a lot of time with your cross index of photos, which btw, is a never ending string of sausage pulls. Seeing all the Blackstone rolling stock reminds me that I may be the only one on the planet who has no Blackstone rolling stock or motive power of any kind. I just missed the whole Blackstone episode. I have a dozen or so Blackstone freight trucks which are the best. I've given away most of my brass cars so only plastic and wood rolling stock remains. Some plastic tank cars:

p. f. hollingsworth

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 07:48 AM, Jeff Reynolds wrote:
Don,
. Seeing all the Blackstone rolling stock reminds me that I may be the only one on the planet who has no Blackstone rolling stock or motive power of any kind.
Jeff, you aren't the only one at all. My stuff does have a single pair of Blackstone trucks- and those are on an MDC tank conversion that Bob Veefkind gifted me some time back.

Ken Martin

I have no Blackstone rolling stock, but I did buy a couple of C-19’s and then put beartraps on them as I model C&S.

Ken Martin

On Aug 3, 2020, at 7:48 AM, Jeff Reynolds <jefe4x4@...> wrote:
I may be the only one on the planet who has no Blackstone rolling stock or motive power of any kind. I just missed the whole Blackstone episode. I

Jeff Reynolds

Hollingsworth,
It's good to see that I'm not alone. I had a dozen pair of trucks that i put on the 'problem children' of rolling stock, so I'm not even close. Ken is not close either with two Blackstone C-19's.
jefe