Muddy Mudhen


Jim Schulz
 

Took my Blackstone K-27, #461 and ran it through the mud.  Too much mud?  Too little mud?  I think it needs more mud.



Cheers!

Jim Schulz


lloyd lehrer
 

Looks like it its there.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 5:56 PM Jim Schulz <jim@...> wrote:
Took my Blackstone K-27, #461 and ran it through the mud.  Too much mud?  Too little mud?  I think it needs more mud.



Cheers!

Jim Schulz


--
lloyd lehrer


Russ Norris
 

Looks realistic to me.  

Russ

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 8:56 PM Jim Schulz <jim@...> wrote:
Took my Blackstone K-27, #461 and ran it through the mud.  Too much mud?  Too little mud?  I think it needs more mud.



Cheers!

Jim Schulz


--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/


Richard Johnson
 

Too much mud.  Mud only splashes up from rain.  So not much more than knee high except where men track it onto the loco.  
Remember its riding on rails above the ground and in most places there is some kind of ballast though alot of places it was dirt too on the line. 

Regards
Rich Johnson

www.RichardSJohnson.net 

"Those who enjoy freedom must endeavor to preserve it."


"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"
Thomas Jefferson




From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Jim Schulz <jim@...>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 5:56 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] Muddy Mudhen
 
Took my Blackstone K-27, #461 and ran it through the mud.  Too much mud?  Too little mud?  I think it needs more mud.



Cheers!

Jim Schulz


Bernie H
 

Looks great!!


On Jun 14, 2021, at 19:16, Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:


Looks realistic to me.  

Russ

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 8:56 PM Jim Schulz <jim@...> wrote:
Took my Blackstone K-27, #461 and ran it through the mud.  Too much mud?  Too little mud?  I think it needs more mud.

<Muddy-Mudhen.jpg>


Cheers!

Jim Schulz


--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/


Wayne
 

Gotta agree with Rich.  Mud actually cakes on in the lower surfaces, this looks more like rust all over the loco.


Darryl Huffman
 

Jim,

I may not know the secret for true happiness, but I do know it doesn't come from trying to please everyone else.

What is important is what you think.  Don't try to please me.  Don't try to please some guy that lives in Montana.

Back in the 1970s, the most popular "expert" on weathering would use an air brush to paint vertical stripes of dust on locomotives.

I thought they looked stupid but he was very popular.

Today one of the most popular expert weatherer is Jimmy Booth at PBL.  I love his work.

But I fall into the Tom Yorke, Malcolm Furlow type of weathering.  I overdo it.  At least according to most people.

But I build my models and layouts to please my wife.  If she says it looks good then I am happy.

My favorite weathered locomotive attached.

Now, having said that, I agree with the other responses.  I have lived most of my 76 years with a railroad running through my back yard.

24 years in the desert.  45 years in Alaska.

But I have never seen a locomotive with that much mud on it.  But I have not seen all locomotives.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@...

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:


You can follow my blog here:


Bernie H
 

That is a awesome looking Porter!!!!!


On Jun 14, 2021, at 20:28, Darryl Huffman via groups.io <darrylhuffman@...> wrote:


Jim,

I may not know the secret for true happiness, but I do know it doesn't come from trying to please everyone else.

What is important is what you think.  Don't try to please me.  Don't try to please some guy that lives in Montana.

Back in the 1970s, the most popular "expert" on weathering would use an air brush to paint vertical stripes of dust on locomotives.

I thought they looked stupid but he was very popular.

Today one of the most popular expert weatherer is Jimmy Booth at PBL.  I love his work.

But I fall into the Tom Yorke, Malcolm Furlow type of weathering.  I overdo it.  At least according to most people.

But I build my models and layouts to please my wife.  If she says it looks good then I am happy.

My favorite weathered locomotive attached.

Now, having said that, I agree with the other responses.  I have lived most of my 76 years with a railroad running through my back yard.

24 years in the desert.  45 years in Alaska.

But I have never seen a locomotive with that much mud on it.  But I have not seen all locomotives.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@...

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:


You can follow my blog here:

<martin-for-emailing.jpg>
<porter-modified-2.jpg>


John
 

I think the parts of the boiler above the walkways should be mud free as should most of the tender, maybe just the bottom foot or two. Mud is splashed up and probably wouldn't get past the walkways and if there's that much water on the track, they probably wouldn't be speeding, so mud wouldn't get thrown up very high from the side rods.
John


On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 6:34 PM, Bernie H via groups.io
<bigbern89@...> wrote:
Looks great!!


On Jun 14, 2021, at 19:16, Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:


Looks realistic to me.  

Russ

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 8:56 PM Jim Schulz <jim@...> wrote:
Took my Blackstone K-27, #461 and ran it through the mud.  Too much mud?  Too little mud?  I think it needs more mud.

<Muddy-Mudhen.jpg>


Cheers!

Jim Schulz


--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/


Jim Schulz
 

I fall into Darryl’s (Furlow, Yorke) thinking on weathering.  I like to overdo it.  Gives it character.  Darryl, I really like your porter engine.  Wonderfully done!

 

Then again, seeing Blackstone’s HOn3, C-19, #346 with Blackstone’s weathering, it too is quite beautiful.  It’s a mild weathering and I wouldn’t change a thing.


 

But as mentioned, PBL’s weathering is also nice.  It looks kind of vertical, as though a lot of rain had washed the coal dust over the tender.  But here there is also a tan and rust coloring.  I like that.  More color.  And it goes from top to bottom on the tender.

 

So many ways to do weathering.  Happy mudding!

 

Cheers!

 

Jim Schulz


Mike Conder
 

Yep, love that rusty, crusty look on both these locos. 

Mike Conder

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 8:41 PM Bernie H via groups.io <bigbern89=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
That is a awesome looking Porter!!!!!


On Jun 14, 2021, at 20:28, Darryl Huffman via groups.io <darrylhuffman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:


Jim,

I may not know the secret for true happiness, but I do know it doesn't come from trying to please everyone else.

What is important is what you think.  Don't try to please me.  Don't try to please some guy that lives in Montana.

Back in the 1970s, the most popular "expert" on weathering would use an air brush to paint vertical stripes of dust on locomotives.

I thought they looked stupid but he was very popular.

Today one of the most popular expert weatherer is Jimmy Booth at PBL.  I love his work.

But I fall into the Tom Yorke, Malcolm Furlow type of weathering.  I overdo it.  At least according to most people.

But I build my models and layouts to please my wife.  If she says it looks good then I am happy.

My favorite weathered locomotive attached.

Now, having said that, I agree with the other responses.  I have lived most of my 76 years with a railroad running through my back yard.

24 years in the desert.  45 years in Alaska.

But I have never seen a locomotive with that much mud on it.  But I have not seen all locomotives.

Darryl Huffman

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:


You can follow my blog here:

<martin-for-emailing.jpg>
<porter-modified-2.jpg>

--
Mike Conder