Topics

Mount Blue Model Co

John Stutz

Mount Blue Model Co is generally known for their O scale narrow gauge models, but I was looking over their site recently and chanced on an extensive line of HO narrow gauge cars.  These are not the usual Colorado prototypes.  Mostly 2' gauge, but I purchased an ET&WNC box and pair of flats, and a generic 28' box that should be an easy conversion to an early White Pass.  These are laser kits, including laser cut underframes, so should be easy builds, but will need trucks and couplers.

See: < ">http://www.mountbluemodelco.com/HO.htm>.  This is only linked from their home page and their Australian models page.

John Stutz

Don Peterson

I have built one of their HOn3 Colorado Central cars. Build was very well thought through and it came out nice. Wish they did more HOn3 cars

Don Peterson

On Thursday, February 25, 2021, 01:57:38 PM MST, John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:

Mount Blue Model Co is generally known for their O scale narrow gauge models, but I was looking over their site recently and chanced on an extensive line of HO narrow gauge cars.  These are not the usual Colorado prototypes.  Mostly 2' gauge, but I purchased an ET&WNC box and pair of flats, and a generic 28' box that should be an easy conversion to an early White Pass.  These are laser kits, including laser cut underframes, so should be easy builds, but will need trucks and couplers.

See: < ">http://www.mountbluemodelco.com/HO.htm>.  This is only linked from their home page and their Australian models page.

John Stutz

Robert Bell

John,
I built the Mount Blue ET&WNC 37' box and it went together really nicely.  It has a beautiful interior. I used correct brass trucks from Dave Hoffman and added no additional weight and it operates great so far.  There were a couple of minor issues with the instructions as I remember, but it turned out fantastic.  I have the flat cars as well but have yet to build them.

Rob Bell
Modeling the White Pass & Yukon Route in HOn3
Waynesville, NC

On Thursday, February 25, 2021, 03:57:38 PM EST, John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:

Mount Blue Model Co is generally known for their O scale narrow gauge models, but I was looking over their site recently and chanced on an extensive line of HO narrow gauge cars.  These are not the usual Colorado prototypes.  Mostly 2' gauge, but I purchased an ET&WNC box and pair of flats, and a generic 28' box that should be an easy conversion to an early White Pass.  These are laser kits, including laser cut underframes, so should be easy builds, but will need trucks and couplers.

See: < ">http://www.mountbluemodelco.com/HO.htm>.  This is only linked from their home page and their Australian models page.

John Stutz

Robert Bell

John, I had to go back to my FaceBook page to find my review of the boxcar kit.  Here is the jest of my opinion of the kit:

I did not use the kit's lasered brake ratchet/pawl, the brake staff lower bracket, or the lasered brake wheel. Instead, I used the Grandt parts included. Also, I added a length of 1/32" brass angle to each door for the door braces in the middle of the doors.
So, to sum it up, this kit took some extra research and parts. The parts of the kit are great, but be prepared to add parts that IMHO, should've been included in the kit: NBWs, 0.020" wire for the train line, the angle for the door brace, and .015" wire for a longer brake staff if you use the Grandt lower bracket.

Having looked closely at the flat car kit instructions, I think they have improved. Enjoy!

Rob Bell
Modeling the White Pass & Yukon Route in HOn3
Waynesville, NC

Inline image