Topics

motors and pfm k-27 update

Robert Veefkind

This thread started somewhat about me asking about the motor in the PFM k-27 1977 run. As a result of a former owner flooding the running gear with paint ( must have been some good stuff) I had to remove the drivers and clean out the bearing and frame surfaces to get electrical contact again. Quite a job but lost no springs. The valve gear had to be reinserted back into the steam cylinders and to do that it had to be disassembled --pain in butt 1 mm screws. When I turned the loco over, the valve gear like magic came out of the steam chest! --you know the rest of the story. The engine then ran fine but had to turn cv 5 & 6 up to 250 and cv2 up to 30 - never had to do that before. It would stall with any kind of load whereas the westside could spin the drivers under heavy load. The upshoot of the story is it a bum motor and do we have the sense to put the  it back on the shelf and wait for patience to return ?
BTW very impressed with the knowledge on this list. Some of you have done major research on motors and real time narrow gauge locomotives. To me very interesting as At one time this list was almost entirely questions about the forthcoming Blackstone K-36s   Bob V.

Dale Buxton

Bob,
I think I can speak for all of us that coming from you your praise is high praise indeed.

D. Buxton