Topics

More progress on the 20x46

Steve Hatch

I have half of the floor joists in and the main support beam and the rim joists.
 Lot of nailing today. Sure glad I have my air nailer.
  I just couldn't do this without it.   But I'm beginning to "see the Standard Gauge run in my mind.
This will give me 46 feet by 20 feet.  Nice size for me.  can't wait to see it unfolding.

Todays work pic
http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing8.jpg

Stephen Hatch (tired and hungry) but satisfied.

I wonder if this is what the doctor meant by get more exercise

Mike Van Hove

Steve,
Nice weathering job on the existing building.  😜

Mike Van Hove

On Jul 26, 2019, at 9:22 PM, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

I have half of the floor joists in and the main support beam and the rim joists.
 Lot of nailing today. Sure glad I have my air nailer.
  I just couldn't do this without it.   But I'm beginning to "see the Standard Gauge run in my mind.
This will give me 46 feet by 20 feet.  Nice size for me.  can't wait to see it unfolding.

Todays work pic
http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing8.jpg

Stephen Hatch (tired and hungry) but satisfied.

I wonder if this is what the doctor meant by get more exercise

Steve Hatch

I think the weathering should have more redish browns in it.
Got the last load of joists and the t&G sub floor.  Took 3/4 of the day to load it and get it here.
I did manage to get further installing the joists.   LONG day
Pic of progress.   Lunch would be good Bill and Jan Maybe Norm will come and it will be all S'ers

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing9.jpg

Steve Hatch

Steve Hatch

Finished with the floor joists. Now the T&G floor sheeting.  Right there in the back of the truck.
 Don't have to pack these very far at all.

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing10.jpg

Stephen Hatch

Bill Lugg

Looks good.  Remind me of what part of the country you live in?  It looks like AZ or NM.

So, I assume the existing layout is in the "grey" building, right? Is that back wall going to come down then (replace with posts for load bearing support) or are you going to come through the door with track...or something else entirely?  And I assume you had to pull permits to do all this?

An interesting side story: I know a contractor who builds houses in El Paso and Elbert counties in Colorado.  He recently told me he paid $12K just for permits, excluding well and septic permits to build a house of I believe about 4K square feet in Elbert county. $7k of that was a fee for impact to road for hauling building materials to the work site.   He said the same permits would cost about $4K to $5K in El Paso county.

Just curious...
Bill Lugg

On 7/28/19 11:53 AM, Steve Hatch wrote:
Finished with the floor joists. Now the T&G floor sheeting. Right there in the back of the truck.
 Don't have to pack these very far at all.

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/footing10.jpg

Stephen Hatch

Steve Hatch

 I just finished the tung and groove decking on the floor.   It went fairly quickly.
Well guess I'll start framimg walls tomorrow.
new floor:

www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/floor1.jpg

Stephen Hatch

Mike Conder

Darn, Steve, that really gives a great feel as to how large this extension will be!

Mike Conder

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019, 3:48 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@... wrote:
 I just finished the tung and groove decking on the floor.   It went fairly quickly.
Well guess I'll start framimg walls tomorrow.
new floor:

www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/pics/floor1.jpg

Stephen Hatch

Climax@...

Nice Patio, plenty of space for a BBQ, lounges, a nice umbrella and of course the Hot tub and a cooler!  I might suggest a nice rustic railing around the edges.